Limited or no connectivity

July 4, 2005 11:38:04 AM

Hello folks, here's the situation. I just moved into a new house and my
roomates have our internet connection shared through a hub. Everyone is set
up to just obtain their ip's and dns servers automatically, when I set my
connection to do that it assigns a weird ip address like 164.x.x.x which is
not in the right range. I've read a few posts about this being due to sp2 and
to just reset your router. I'm writing this at work so i'm hoping to get this
figured out for when I go home. So anyways I figure no problem, i'll just
assign a static ip and dns servers. So I did an ipconfig on someone elses
machine in the house and got the info and put it in. Once i did that the
'limited or no connectivity' message went away and my connection icon looked
normal. However I still couldn't browse the web or ping anything. I would
REALLY appreciate some help with this. Thanks in advance.

More about : limited connectivity

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:20:51 PM

Hi,
Have you tried using the same network cable on another machine to make sure
that it is indeed working?

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
"Mr.MojoRisin" <Mr.MojoRisin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello folks, here's the situation. I just moved into a new house and my
> roomates have our internet connection shared through a hub. Everyone is
> set
> up to just obtain their ip's and dns servers automatically, when I set my
> connection to do that it assigns a weird ip address like 164.x.x.x which
> is
> not in the right range. I've read a few posts about this being due to sp2
> and
> to just reset your router. I'm writing this at work so i'm hoping to get
> this
> figured out for when I go home. So anyways I figure no problem, i'll just
> assign a static ip and dns servers. So I did an ipconfig on someone elses
> machine in the house and got the info and put it in. Once i did that the
> 'limited or no connectivity' message went away and my connection icon
> looked
> normal. However I still couldn't browse the web or ping anything. I would
> REALLY appreciate some help with this. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:20:52 PM

Yeah I tried using a cable that I know works for sure and that is not the
problem.

"Gary Tsang" wrote:

> Hi,
> Have you tried using the same network cable on another machine to make sure
> that it is indeed working?
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> "Mr.MojoRisin" <Mr.MojoRisin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello folks, here's the situation. I just moved into a new house and my
> > roomates have our internet connection shared through a hub. Everyone is
> > set
> > up to just obtain their ip's and dns servers automatically, when I set my
> > connection to do that it assigns a weird ip address like 164.x.x.x which
> > is
> > not in the right range. I've read a few posts about this being due to sp2
> > and
> > to just reset your router. I'm writing this at work so i'm hoping to get
> > this
> > figured out for when I go home. So anyways I figure no problem, i'll just
> > assign a static ip and dns servers. So I did an ipconfig on someone elses
> > machine in the house and got the info and put it in. Once i did that the
> > 'limited or no connectivity' message went away and my connection icon
> > looked
> > normal. However I still couldn't browse the web or ping anything. I would
> > REALLY appreciate some help with this. Thanks in advance.

July 4, 2005 4:32:03 PM

Hi,

Go into your Device Manager, and then click on the Network Adapters, and
then go into the properties of your network card.

Then click on the Advanced tab, and find the property Link Speed and Duplex.
The name of your property for the 'speed' might be different depending on
what network card you have and the brand.

The value of your Link Speed will probably be on Auto Detect, try changing
it to 100Mbps/Half Duplex and see if you can connect.

--
> Yeah I tried using a cable that I know works for sure and that is not the
> problem.
>
> "Gary Tsang" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Have you tried using the same network cable on another machine to make
>> sure
>> that it is indeed working?
>>
>> --
>> Gary Tsang
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> "Mr.MojoRisin" <Mr.MojoRisin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello folks, here's the situation. I just moved into a new house and my
>> > roomates have our internet connection shared through a hub. Everyone is
>> > set
>> > up to just obtain their ip's and dns servers automatically, when I set
>> > my
>> > connection to do that it assigns a weird ip address like 164.x.x.x
>> > which
>> > is
>> > not in the right range. I've read a few posts about this being due to
>> > sp2
>> > and
>> > to just reset your router. I'm writing this at work so i'm hoping to
>> > get
>> > this
>> > figured out for when I go home. So anyways I figure no problem, i'll
>> > just
>> > assign a static ip and dns servers. So I did an ipconfig on someone
>> > elses
>> > machine in the house and got the info and put it in. Once i did that
>> > the
>> > 'limited or no connectivity' message went away and my connection icon
>> > looked
>> > normal. However I still couldn't browse the web or ping anything. I
>> > would
>> > REALLY appreciate some help with this. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:32:04 PM

Ok, I'll try that tonight

"Gary Tsang" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Go into your Device Manager, and then click on the Network Adapters, and
> then go into the properties of your network card.
>
> Then click on the Advanced tab, and find the property Link Speed and Duplex.
> The name of your property for the 'speed' might be different depending on
> what network card you have and the brand.
>
> The value of your Link Speed will probably be on Auto Detect, try changing
> it to 100Mbps/Half Duplex and see if you can connect.
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> "Mr.MojoRisin" <MrMojoRisin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yeah I tried using a cable that I know works for sure and that is not the
> > problem.
> >
> > "Gary Tsang" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> Have you tried using the same network cable on another machine to make
> >> sure
> >> that it is indeed working?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary Tsang
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> >> "Mr.MojoRisin" <Mr.MojoRisin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:14:51 PM

You say a Hub, or is it a router with a 4 port switch?

Are you connect to the internet through a PC or the Hub/Router?

In either case make sure DHCP is turned on. This is what hands out IP
address'

Make sure the range of IP's being distributed is enough. Need one for each
PC.

Bob Eyster

!