regedit

when i type regedit all i get is a black oblong saying regedit 32 ,
5 answers Last reply
More about regedit

    rich9791 wrote:

    > when i type regedit all i get is a black oblong saying regedit 32 ,

    How to make good newsgroup posts:

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    1. Is the system 100% virus and malware-free? If you think so, what did
    you do to determine this? Include names and versions of programs,
    whether their definitions are current, how the scanning was done, and
    results of scanning.

    2. Were you ever able to run Regedit? If so, what changed?

    3. Description of computer, operating system and service pack level, and
    Internet connection.

    etc.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    hi malke i used to be able to access regedit, all i have done
    is download a programme called regscrub but i have since removed it, my
    operating system is winxp home sp2, 512mb ram, 80 gb hd, norton av, ms
    office 2003 , msworks. real player, record now,windows washer,

    rich9791 wrote:

    > hi malke i used to be able to access regedit, all i
    > have done
    > is download a programme called regscrub but i have since removed it,
    > my
    > operating system is winxp home sp2, 512mb ram, 80 gb hd, norton av,
    > ms office 2003 , msworks. real player, record now,windows washer,

    You have a clear cause-and-effect. You downloaded and installed a
    registry cleaning program, which - as is common with registry cleaners
    - broke something. Do a search of this newsgroup using Google Groups
    about them.

    Things you can try to fix what you did:

    1. Do a System Restore to before you installed "regscrub".

    2. If the above doesn't help, try using the System File Checker. Put
    your XP cd in the drive and do:

    Start>Run>sfc /scannow [enter]

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    thanks malkie but i do not have an xp disc, it was allready loaded when i
    purchased the pc ,it is brand new, well 6 months old, all i have is a
    recovery disk which i created when i took it out of the box, the maker is
    packard bell , do you think there is any chance of getting a installation
    disk from them, ? i have 1 year warranty, thanks john

    rich9791 wrote:

    > thanks malkie but i do not have an xp disc, it was allready loaded
    > when i
    > purchased the pc ,it is brand new, well 6 months old, all i have is a
    > recovery disk which i created when i took it out of the box, the maker
    > is packard bell , do you think there is any chance of getting a
    > installation disk from them, ? i have 1 year warranty, thanks john

    No, you bought a machine with a recovery disk option and that's what you
    got. You can still try the System File Checker and if it requests the
    cd, point it to the C:\Windows\i386 folder (assuming your Windows
    installation is on the C: drive).

    Otherwise, take your machine to a professional computer repair shop (not
    your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and have them fix it for you.
    Don't use registry cleaners again.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell