In Pictures: Meet The World's Fastest Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
The design of the Sony motherboard seems to be out of compliance with standards.

OMG - what a shock :O

Leaving sarcasm aside, this is a tremendous achievement. Hats off dear Sirs. I always knew that the mainstream manufacturers have gotten complacent...

Just one small question: what's the battery life?

technuttso

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
This is an outstanding creation made by amateurs, even if this amateurs have a high tech training and competence. Thumbs up! This it may be one next step for mobile computing. The hardware industry do now only what the market study allows, times of commercial experiments and niche products are a bit gone. On the mini- micro computers market today the netbook Intel-atom powered is the king. For many reasons, and one of them is the trend. Mobile computing today have a very powerful "trendy" side. The netbook consumer have the necessity to surf on internet in a very portable way, with all the consequences that this concept applies . No raw power is required if u open IE or Firefox only, with 2-3 tabs at maximum.For now it may be enough for some, but for the future is not good enough. These guys just made a push for the future.Thumbs up! Again.

G

I'm sill using my Psion 5 (no kidding) but I'd consider switching to one of those machines ;).

G

Not a netbook UMPC remember, netbook is a designation which means = crappy platform (low performance but long battery so you can work inefficiently and be frustrated for longer)

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
The idea of building something like that is welcome. That was a pricey project, with more than few risks involved. I guess that battery resolutes was not included in the article on porpoise, well it not a shocker, with a power house like that i don't think it will hold 4 long. But i don't think that battery was the main concern for the builder of this cool toy.
BTW....Is it 4 sale? :)

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Top notch guys. That is a Mark Maguire smart phone there!!!!

I think they should get gold badges in the homebuilt forum section. Any chance of raffling this off like the SBM rigs?

memeroot

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Nice - I have a 390 (I think the faster chip and ssd) and it is a bit slow - this would have been perfect. btw still love the form factor

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Gave this a little SU recognition.
Excellent read, and what an impressive feat.
(You guys might want to proof read it again, though ;))

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]memeroot[/nom]Nice - I have a 390 (I think the faster chip and ssd) and it is a bit slow - this would have been perfect. btw still love the form factor[/citation]

I have the VGN-UX390N also. It came with Vista, and the speed was similar to a 1.60 Atom. After installing Windows 7, it runs fast...really really fast. I was actually surprised to see the performance jump that I got.

Those are some scary mods to make though. I would never risk harm to my little Sony friend. Impressive nonetheless

darkerx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
To answer some questions:
GPU= GMA950@400mhz (200mhz in standard UX)
CPU= U7700@1438mhz (instead of 1.33ghz for a U7700, and 1.2ghz for U2200)

Battery life= same as a standard UX (for the same tasks done/ 2,5h standard battery/ 4-5h extended (If you use all the features in the same time (watching streamed HD1080P through 3.5g...)... well divide by 3...))

The core2duo is the most efficient cpu in terms of computing power/watt... :)

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
soldering a ball-grid array by hand, now there's a pain in the ass. Kudos to the excellent job (and that intel was lazy with the atom and just recycled an old chipset for it, allowing the much more lovely core 2 duo)

jfem

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Indeed, an outstanding creation. I wonder how sony, apple and the other manufacturers will react after seeing this.

leo2kp

Distinguished
I'm sure they can do this too, but why would they when people will buy crap for the same price, and then make improvements so they can sell more of them later on. It doesn't make business sense to bring out the best they can deliver when it takes way more work to bring out new innovations. So, in a sense I can understand why, but at the same time it sucks that nobody else is doing something like this.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Pantherwordpress@mywaycom[/nom]Not a netbook UMPC remember, netbook is a designation which means = crappy platform (low performance but long battery so you can work inefficiently and be frustrated for longer)[/citation]
Yes, i'm sure that's exactly what it means, I can just imagine a group of standards and regulations assessors sat round a table with item 1 on the agenda being, "let's deliberately make something crap"

idiot...

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
The company i work for has Jornada for site surveys (which we no longer do thanks to Airmagnet) and boy do they SUCK. They look like crap work like crap and r as stable as crap (try picking up a piece of crap it should fall apart). my point... THANK GOD FOR MODERN DAY NETBOOKS THAT RUN REALLLL WINDOWS WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Iz excited

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I havn't been impressed in a long time with the pc crowd with DIY builds ever since playing with cars... but this is extremely cool...

don't mention CR****! Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.