windows XP SP2 resets when accessing USB 2.0 hard drive

does not have problem when connected via legacy controller, problem
only when using USB 2.0 card in PCI slot of XP SP2 machine. No blue
screen just reset. Something seems to be clobbering memory. Have tried
multiple USB 2.0 cards as well. Windows/XP Home updates are automatic,
therefore very current. Drive is Maxtor external USB. Any ideas? Much
too slow to run with USB 1.x. THank you.

Good idea, but the "automatically restart" box is not checked, yet it
automatically restarts when I/O is done to the external USB drive. I
cant tell if problem is with the driver, the USB adapter card, the
external USB drive or the OS support itself. Is there some other way
to trap the error message? Thank you.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

mpgmich@hotmail.com wrote:

> Good idea, but the "automatically restart" box is not checked, yet it
> automatically restarts when I/O is done to the external USB drive. I
> cant tell if problem is with the driver, the USB adapter card, the
> external USB drive or the OS support itself. Is there some other way
> to trap the error message? Thank you.

Do some parts swapping. Eliminate one at a time to see which one is the
culprit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

mpgmich@hotmail.com wrote:

>Good idea, but the "automatically restart" box is not checked, yet it
>automatically restarts when I/O is done to the external USB drive. I
>cant tell if problem is with the driver, the USB adapter card, the
>external USB drive or the OS support itself. Is there some other way
>to trap the error message? Thank you.

Check in the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer for
further details.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233