Sign in with
Your question

Monitor w/ HD support

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 11, 2007 12:53:23 AM

Once again I run to Tom's forums for a rescue!

I have been researching lcds for a few weeks to try to understand the technologies and trying to find what monitor best suited my needs.
I do have a few monitors in mind but first let me run off my requirements:
20" wide screen or bigger
1680x1050 resolution (1920x1200 ok too)
<8ms
Composite in
component in (HD support)
S-video in
HDCP compliant
HD support up to 1080p
1:1 ratio support through DVI (16:9, 16:10, 4:5, 3:4)

Now the monitors I think that fit the bill are:
Gateway FPD2275W 22"
Gateway FPD2185W 21"
Dell UltraSharp 2407FPW 24"
BenQ FP241W 24" (Supports HDMI too!)
Samsung 215TW 21"

I will be using this in a single display setup. I will mostly use it for casual computer stuff (email, internet, etc..) and mainly gaming! So I'm looking for good accurate colour reproduction (lol, spell check doesn't approve of my Canadian spelling) and excellent response time. I find it very hard to find a good monitor seeing that when I dig into any one of these monitors, alot of people seem to have alot of bad things to say about them (besides the constant naging about banding and bleeding).

More about : monitor support

January 11, 2007 3:09:56 PM

Why would you want composite, component and s-video connectors if all you do is plug it in to your computer?

Check out Samsung's 225BW. That's what I use for computing stuff and gaming and I never regretted my purchase. It might come less expensive than your other choices and it is a 22" display with HDCP compliance through DVI-D.
January 11, 2007 5:28:20 PM

Quote:
Why would you want composite, component and s-video connectors if all you do is plug it in to your computer?

Check out Samsung's 225BW. That's what I use for computing stuff and gaming and I never regretted my purchase. It might come less expensive than your other choices and it is a 22" display with HDCP compliance through DVI-D.

I'll be using the monitor as my primary display for everything. Such as TV (through TV tuner), Xbox360 (component), PS2 (composite). You could argue that I should just get a tuner with those inputs but I want the convenience to use my monitor without my computer. I basically want it to be an all-in-one sorta deal.
Related resources
January 11, 2007 6:36:16 PM

I see 8)

From what I've gathered recently, the Dell and Samsung models you listed offer pretty good quality. I don't know if they are HDCP compliant though. Might be wise to get something that is HDCP compliant if you intend on hooking a PS3, a BluRay or a HDDVD to this baby in the future.
The BenQ is HDCP compliant through the HDMI connector, but I've seen mixed reviews about BenQ monitors.
Dell and Samsung may offer better quality, but I would definitely look for something that is HDCP compliant, except for BenQ. That's why I proposed the 225BW.
January 12, 2007 3:02:06 AM

Quote:
I see 8)

From what I've gathered recently, the Dell and Samsung models you listed offer pretty good quality. I don't know if they are HDCP compliant though. Might be wise to get something that is HDCP compliant if you intend on hooking a PS3, a BluRay or a HDDVD to this baby in the future.
The BenQ is HDCP compliant through the HDMI connector, but I've seen mixed reviews about BenQ monitors.
Dell and Samsung may offer better quality, but I would definitely look for something that is HDCP compliant, except for BenQ. That's why I proposed the 225BW.

After doing some digging, the Samsung 215tw does support HDCP through the DVI port. And all the reviews I read gave this monitor high praise. So it looks like I know what I'm getting :D . Although people (customer reviews) have complained about input lag with this monitor, but I'm not too concerned. Also considering this monitor does 1680x1050, it's just shy of 1080p, which I think I can live with, seeing as how it can still do 720p. The only one thing I can't seem to find anywhere is if this monitor can do 1:1 ratio with different aspects. But I'm pretty sure there is some software out there that can do that, regardless of the monitor, but I would still like any input anyone can offer, and thanks for all your help Oracle.
!