Two users using the same profile

July 4, 2005 1:59:01 PM

Hi, I've just installed a Win 2003 Server with domain option. When I signed
from my laptop it created a new user with a new Documents and Settings folder.

How can I re-direct that new user to my old Documents and Settings folder? I
don't like the copy solution because I would have two sets of data that will
be different with time (Favorites for instance).

Thanks.

More about : users profile

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:02:22 PM

Gilberto ANAYA wrote:

> Hi, I've just installed a Win 2003 Server with domain option. When I signed
> from my laptop it created a new user with a new Documents and Settings folder.
>
> How can I re-direct that new user to my old Documents and Settings folder? I
> don't like the copy solution because I would have two sets of data that will
> be different with time (Favorites for instance).
Hi,

I solve this by (in the registry) changing the profile path for
the new user to point to the old user's profile folder (the user
needs to log on at least once first).

From: Bruce Sanderson (bsanders@junk.junk)
Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D%24NPCHA.612%...

If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

More here as well:

Subject: Lost profile when domain name changes
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.win20...

HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314045

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: