When I click on 'Run' from the Start menu, I find a history of commands and
websites visited. How do I delete this history?

registry:

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\runmru

delete te values that you want to delete.

"BLazusky@triad.rr.com" wrote:

> When I click on 'Run' from the Start menu, I find a history of commands and
> websites visited. How do I delete this history?

The history of most recently used commands from the Run command on the Start
menu are stored in the following registry location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Explorer \ RunMRU

The RunMRU entries can be erased by by clearing the Recent documents list in
the Start Menu and Taskbar Properties. See this KB for more information:

Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307875

To remove these RunMRU entries selectively, open Regedit.exe and navigate to
the above location. Highlight and delete the entries in the right-pane.

Visited web sites listing from the Index.dat file

The entries that appear when you type something in the RUN box (but not
normally displayed when you click the drop-down), comes from the Index.dat
file that belongs to Internet Explorer. Using the Clear History button in
Internet Options General tab will help. If not, you may try completely
deleting the index.dat using the methods described in MS-MVP Mike Burgess'
site. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

To prevent the web addresses from being displayed in RUN box, open Internet
Options from Control Panel. Select the Content tab, and click the Auto
Complete button. Under section Use AutoComplete for, uncheck Web addresses.
Note that un-checking this option also disables the CTRL + ENTER
functionality in Internet Explorer Address bar.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting