Sign in with
Your question

Is my Lacie CRT monitor Dying?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 11, 2007 2:37:06 PM

I have a 3 year old Lacie Electron Blue IV 19" CRT monitor. When I turn it on, sometimes it will turn black with a white line running from left to right in the middle of the screen. Sometimes it will happen after a half hour and sometimes it won't happen all day. When this happens, I turn the monitor off, then wait for ten seconds, turn it on, and that usually fixes it (temporary). I have checked the cables and made sure they have a solid conection and even tried plugging the power cord into a different outlet, but it hasn't solved the problem. Is my monitor dying or is it something else? Thank you for your replys,

Jae
January 15, 2007 11:42:33 AM

I finally figured out the problem. The magnets and yolk are failing and that is what is creating the white line. And something about an electron gun... Well, this is what 2 other guys said from 2 different websites who had the same problem. I thought I should post this incase anyone else has this problem. If you would like to see something weird like what is in the "white line" check out what I posted on this website http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lmiy09lWZc . Can someone please explain this to me? Pause the video when the images appear and see if you can guess what it is before I off/on the monitor.
May 27, 2007 3:53:14 PM

it happens to me too... a white line in the middle and the monitor becomes fine after hitting very hardly from its top and its side... someone told me that my monitor is dying (its life is near to end).
Related resources
May 27, 2009 11:53:49 PM

I have exactly the same problem as you guys, and desperate to fix my screen. Anything new about this ?
September 25, 2009 7:13:58 PM

As comments in youtube said, smack it.
September 26, 2009 8:35:49 AM

well....i guess u can try takin it to a repair shop in ur area...

messin with an lcd can make u pay for it

i used an old lcd for just 4 years...

but then..it evn depends on ur usage
October 10, 2009 1:17:51 AM

Concerning LaCie Electron Blue IV...
In case any of you is still looking for an answer, let me tell you that a good old TV repairman fixed the problem within a week (although my Apple revender had freaked me out with a so-called FLYBACK problem and lots of people just suggested my machine was dead !). My daughter even saw one on the sidewalk under the rain on garbage day.

Connections had to be re-welded at a couple of places (main board/vertical deflection ; main board/yoke, vertical + horizontal ; connections on the power “mosfet”) and that was it.

After two weeks looking into LCDisplays (hundreds of reviews...), I had concluded my CRT display was worth much more than the $125 it cost me to repair the Monitor I am now looking at.
:wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo: 
a b C Monitor
October 10, 2009 5:40:50 AM

Agreed - a decent photo quality LCD is $300, bare minimum (and more commonly >$500)
October 12, 2009 8:07:15 AM

Yep, LCD monitors nowadays are cheap. With regards to the one who asked this question he/she must have bought either a brand new CRT or LCD after 2 long years of depression. LOL :) 
a b C Monitor
October 12, 2009 8:34:27 AM

justinheir said:
Yep, LCD monitors nowadays are cheap. With regards to the one who asked this question he/she must have bought either a brand new CRT or LCD after 2 long years of depression. LOL :) 

LCDs may be cheap, but good, photo quality ones are not.
October 12, 2009 7:47:03 PM

justinheir said:

Yes cheap in both senses of the word. My LaCieCRT is 5 years old and got perfectly checked and repaired for $125 - After reviewing lots of forums, nobody would expect that from any LCD, whatever its price. CRT is proven technology and the few technicians who survived the switch to LCDs agree on this.
Especially on THIS site and this forum, I felt it important to provide a followup on my initial question (last May) : Throwing away a machine like the LaCie CRT reminds me of the kind of moron who left old Spitfires or P51s, for that matter, rot in their hangar. Unfortunately, that includes LaCie shareholders and technical support. :ouch: 
October 14, 2009 3:18:23 PM

cjl said:
LCDs may be cheap, but good, photo quality ones are not.
Yes, you got a point in there, that brings me to remember one of my friend told me why some gamers prefer CRT monitors over LCD monitors. The answer is display quality, the Cathode Ray Tube monitors provide more vivid colors and details every gamer needs.

LCD monitors could provide the same but for a price. Honestly in my case, I don't need to spend big bucks over this type of LCD monitors because Im quite satisfied with my US$150 display screen. :) 
October 14, 2009 3:20:19 PM

fdg said:
Yes cheap in both senses of the word. My LaCieCRT is 5 years old and got perfectly checked and repaired for $125 - After reviewing lots of forums, nobody would expect that from any LCD, whatever its price. CRT is proven technology and the few technicians who survived the switch to LCDs agree on this.
Especially on THIS site and this forum, I felt it important to provide a followup on my initial question (last May) : Throwing away a machine like the LaCie CRT reminds me of the kind of moron who left old Spitfires or P51s, for that matter, rot in their hangar. Unfortunately, that includes LaCie shareholders and technical support. :ouch: 

Yes you're right, you could have added a few bucks on your repair costs and you could have bought a decent LCD display for you. It's alright we all learn from our mistakes. That's a good thing. :) 
October 14, 2009 4:30:32 PM

could have added a few bucks on your repair costs and you could have bought a decent LCD display
The matter is settled, Man. To use your own line of reasoning : “good gamers” seem to know what “every gamer” should expect from a display.
As to myself, both a graphic designer and a flight simulator fan : For “a few bucks” LESS, obviously I’d rather get my BMW properly repaired and checked up than buying me a brand new LADA…
Then, be honest and check LaCie’s site if you want to know how much they themselves now charge for a LCD equivalent of their own “obsolete” CRTs.
a b C Monitor
October 15, 2009 10:11:53 AM

fdg said:

Well, I have an ancient Dell 17" Ultrasharp 1702FP (7 and a half years old actually, so it's older than your CRT) that still works flawlessly and looks pretty darn good. I also like the image quality of my Ultrasharp 2408WFP better than any CRT I have ever seen. Cheap LCDs are not great though - they can't hope to match a good CRT or non-TN LCD for image quality, and often, the manufacturer will skimp on build quality as well.
March 12, 2010 2:40:53 PM

fdg said:
Concerning LaCie Electron Blue IV...
In case any of you is still looking for an answer, let me tell you that a good old TV repairman fixed the problem within a week (although my Apple revender had freaked me out with a so-called FLYBACK problem and lots of people just suggested my machine was dead !). My daughter even saw one on the sidewalk under the rain on garbage day.

Connections had to be re-welded at a couple of places (main board/vertical deflection ; main board/yoke, vertical + horizontal ; connections on the power “mosfet”) and that was it.

After two weeks looking into LCDisplays (hundreds of reviews...), I had concluded my CRT display was worth much more than the $125 it cost me to repair the Monitor I am now looking at.
:wahoo:  :wahoo:  :wahoo: 

Hi fdg, I found this thread via Google searching. I also own a LaCie Monitor IV, built in '05 with the same issues as yours. I'd like to take it in for repair and was wondering where you took yours? Do you happen to live in Chicago? It seems hard to find
honest tv repair people who are still repairing CRT's in the Chicagoland area. Thanks
January 5, 2011 4:40:52 PM

Hey photousa, sorry I missed your “answer” ! I hope you found an “honest TV repairman” in Chicago (I’m in Montreal…).
In a word, my LaCie CRT is still up & running after one more year of intense work, so it was indeed a good idea to get it fixed.
!