Connecting Sound Mixer to Computer?

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
A band at our church wants me to record some of their songs into MP3 format to be used on CD. Our church has a 16 channel mixer, which all the mics and keyboards, etc. are plugged into. What is the best way to connect the mixer to my computer. I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board with mic input.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Do you just ahve a mic in, or do you have a line in too? What you want is a line level output from the board, and run it to a line in on your computer. YOu're probably going to have to go from eitehr dual RCA, or a single 1/4" jack on the board to 1/8" jack on your computer.

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
You need to check the output of the mixer. Most should have RCA, 1/4" and XLR outputs. You will probably need two 1/4" to 1/8"TRS cable. You most likely won't find this anywhere, and will have to resort to multiple cables and adapters, or make the cable yourself with parts from the local Radio Shack. I'm also guessing it'll be live-take recording with no room for error. You'll have to try a few takes before you get it right, as once it's recorded in this fashion, you can't adjust the levels if you find a vocal track stands out too much or the organ is drowned out. Make sure you have a few sets of good headphones as well, because the PA will have to be turned off so it doesn't feed back into the mics. By the way, what software are you using to record?

Jarrett

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Of course it would be handy if the computer had digital inputs and the mixer had digital outputs, but in the real world...you'll have to use the Line-In jack. Most of the equipment I've seen has 1/4 inch mono jacks and RCA jacks, the RCA jacks would be easiest to connect because 3-foot stereo RCA (2 ends) to 1/8" stereo minijack cables are quite common.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

stevephongnguyen

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Hi there.

Would you please help me with my mixer. thanks