16-bit Applications

What I want to know is how do I tell that I'm running a 16-bit program? If
Task Manager doesn't show "wowexec.exe" running, must I initiate Task
Manager after each program I run to determine whether it's a 16-bit program?

Is there a way to identify all 16-bit applications on my system?
Lanny
7 answers Last reply
More about applications

    If there is no problem with a 16-bit program, what do you care?

    HOW TO: Identify a 16-bit Program in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320127

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23bS$V2LgFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Lanny Bender <lambserve1(AT)cox(DOT)net> hunted and pecked:
    > What I want to know is how do I tell that I'm running a 16-bit program?
    > If Task Manager doesn't show "wowexec.exe" running, must I initiate Task
    > Manager after each program I run to determine whether it's a 16-bit
    > program?
    >
    > Is there a way to identify all 16-bit applications on my system?
    > Lanny

    From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, "Lanny Bender" <lambserve
    (AT)cox(DOT)net> had this to say:

    > What I want to know is how do I tell that I'm running a 16-bit program?
    > If Task Manager doesn't show "wowexec.exe" running, must I initiate Task
    > Manager after each program I run to determine whether it's a 16-bit
    > program?
    >
    > Is there a way to identify all 16-bit applications on my system?
    > Lanny

    Why would you care about what bit rate an application is running in,
    provided it runs and does the job you want it to do? What's so magical
    about 32-bit applications other than the fact they can address more memory
    and are generally just more bloatware?

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
    > From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, "Lanny Bender" <lambserve
    > (AT)cox(DOT)net> had this to say:
    >
    > > What I want to know is how do I tell that I'm running a 16-bit program?
    > > If Task Manager doesn't show "wowexec.exe" running, must I initiate Task
    > > Manager after each program I run to determine whether it's a 16-bit
    > > program?
    > >
    > > Is there a way to identify all 16-bit applications on my system?
    > > Lanny
    >
    > Why would you care about what bit rate an application is running in,
    > provided it runs and does the job you want it to do? What's so magical
    > about 32-bit applications other than the fact they can address more memory
    > and are generally just more bloatware?
    >

    > --
    > Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    > "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    Wesley Vogel pointed me to a KB that answered my question, and apparently
    yours as well. I quote from the KB: " If any 16-bit programs are running,
    you see an entry for Ntvdm.exe, which is the virtual DOS machine that is
    provided by Windows XP. You also see wowexec.exe (the Windows on Windows
    subsystem), and the executable name of each 16-bit program that is running
    in that WOW virtual machine."

    Talk about memory bloat. When you get through running a 16-bit application,
    both wowexec.exe and Ntvdm.exe usually stay in memory. Hence, my 2nd
    question: "Is there a way to identify all 16-bit applications on my system?"
    I just wanted to know when to remove wowexec.exe and Ntvdm.exe from memory.
    I usually multitask a lot and frequently I run out of 512MB memory. So I
    have to activate Task Manager to see what applications I can delete. I just
    wanted to know beforehand what my 16-bit applications were.

    Oh well, I guess I have to buy more RAM. BTW, my system STAYS free of
    malware.
    Lanny

    Lanny,

    One way to see if an *.exe is 16-bit, is to locate the *.exe and if the icon
    is the #2 icon. I don't know what it's called, looks like a batch file icon
    without the gear.

    Locate the *.exe right click it and select Properties.

    If a Properties sheet pops up with eight tabs:
    General
    Program
    Font
    Memory
    Screen
    Misc
    Compatibility
    Summary

    You have a 16-bit program.

    If MS-DOS is showing on the Program tab, it's 16-bit.

    If clicking the Advanced button on the Program tab shows Windows PIF
    settings, it's 16-bit.
    -----

    You are correct, ntvdm.exe and wowexec.exe seem to keep running after the
    16-bit application has stopped.

    Apparently, "This behavior is a design feature of Windows NT."

    WOW Environment Remains in Memory After Quitting 16-Bit Program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181333

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eU1HogOgFHA.3104@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Lanny Bender <lambserve1(AT)cox(DOT)net> hunted and pecked:
    > "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
    >> From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, "Lanny Bender"
    >> <lambserve (AT)cox(DOT)net> had this to say:
    >>
    >>> What I want to know is how do I tell that I'm running a 16-bit program?
    >>> If Task Manager doesn't show "wowexec.exe" running, must I initiate Task
    >>> Manager after each program I run to determine whether it's a 16-bit
    >>> program?
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to identify all 16-bit applications on my system?
    >>> Lanny
    >>
    >> Why would you care about what bit rate an application is running in,
    >> provided it runs and does the job you want it to do? What's so magical
    >> about 32-bit applications other than the fact they can address more
    >> memory and are generally just more bloatware?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    >> "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"
    >>
    > Wesley Vogel pointed me to a KB that answered my question, and apparently
    > yours as well. I quote from the KB: " If any 16-bit programs are running,
    > you see an entry for Ntvdm.exe, which is the virtual DOS machine that is
    > provided by Windows XP. You also see wowexec.exe (the Windows on Windows
    > subsystem), and the executable name of each 16-bit program that is running
    > in that WOW virtual machine."
    >
    > Talk about memory bloat. When you get through running a 16-bit
    > application, both wowexec.exe and Ntvdm.exe usually stay in memory.
    > Hence, my 2nd question: "Is there a way to identify all 16-bit
    > applications on my system?" I just wanted to know when to remove
    > wowexec.exe and Ntvdm.exe from memory. I usually multitask a lot and
    > frequently I run out of 512MB memory. So I have to activate Task Manager
    > to see what applications I can delete. I just wanted to know beforehand
    > what my 16-bit applications were.
    >
    > Oh well, I guess I have to buy more RAM. BTW, my system STAYS free of
    > malware.
    > Lanny

    If it truly is an issue, you could replace those Windows 3.1 programs
    with current.

    Lanny Bender wrote:

    > Wesley Vogel pointed me to a KB that answered my question, and apparently
    > yours as well. I quote from the KB: " If any 16-bit programs are running,
    > you see an entry for Ntvdm.exe, which is the virtual DOS machine that is
    > provided by Windows XP. You also see wowexec.exe (the Windows on Windows
    > subsystem), and the executable name of each 16-bit program that is running
    > in that WOW virtual machine."
    >
    > Talk about memory bloat. When you get through running a 16-bit application,
    > both wowexec.exe and Ntvdm.exe usually stay in memory. Hence, my 2nd
    > question: "Is there a way to identify all 16-bit applications on my system?"
    > I just wanted to know when to remove wowexec.exe and Ntvdm.exe from memory.
    > I usually multitask a lot and frequently I run out of 512MB memory. So I
    > have to activate Task Manager to see what applications I can delete. I just
    > wanted to know beforehand what my 16-bit applications were.
    >
    > Oh well, I guess I have to buy more RAM. BTW, my system STAYS free of
    > malware.
    > Lanny

    They don't stay in memory unless something is using them, though they seem to take any excuse to crash. But so what?

    If memory isn't being used it gets swapped out. Therefore in a period of time (quickly if you need the memory) it will use 0 bytes of memory. Win16 programs run in the same process - therefore they are very memory efficient - the more running the more efficient (process creation is resource intensive in Windows OSs) not to mention they tend to use approx 1/2 the memory and disk space of 32 bit programs (a bit less as text, icons, etc stay the same size).

    As you can access 4.5 gibytes of memory (with one hard drive - 64.5 gibytes with 16 hard drives) it is strange you are running out. Perhaps you need to undo tweaks you made to your swap file.

    "Lanny Bender" <lambserve1(AT)cox(DOT)net> wrote in message news:eU1HogOgFHA.3104@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

    > "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
    >> From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, "Lanny Bender" <lambserve
    >> (AT)cox(DOT)net> had this to say:
    >>
    >> > What I want to know is how do I tell that I'm running a 16-bit program?
    >> > If Task Manager doesn't show "wowexec.exe" running, must I initiate Task
    >> > Manager after each program I run to determine whether it's a 16-bit
    >> > program?
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way to identify all 16-bit applications on my system?
    >> > Lanny
    >>
    >> Why would you care about what bit rate an application is running in,
    >> provided it runs and does the job you want it to do? What's so magical
    >> about 32-bit applications other than the fact they can address more memory
    >> and are generally just more bloatware?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    >> "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"
    >>
    > Wesley Vogel pointed me to a KB that answered my question, and apparently
    > yours as well. I quote from the KB: " If any 16-bit programs are running,
    > you see an entry for Ntvdm.exe, which is the virtual DOS machine that is
    > provided by Windows XP. You also see wowexec.exe (the Windows on Windows
    > subsystem), and the executable name of each 16-bit program that is running
    > in that WOW virtual machine."
    >
    > Talk about memory bloat. When you get through running a 16-bit application,
    > both wowexec.exe and Ntvdm.exe usually stay in memory. Hence, my 2nd
    > question: "Is there a way to identify all 16-bit applications on my system?"
    > I just wanted to know when to remove wowexec.exe and Ntvdm.exe from memory.
    > I usually multitask a lot and frequently I run out of 512MB memory. So I
    > have to activate Task Manager to see what applications I can delete. I just
    > wanted to know beforehand what my 16-bit applications were.
    >
    > Oh well, I guess I have to buy more RAM. BTW, my system STAYS free of
    > malware.
    > Lanny

    Only windows programs keep wow in memory (wow needs ntvdm). Dos programs don't use wow and ntvdm does not stay in memory..

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP