Worlds Apart - Help Requested

fnord

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

Mmm. I normally hate to ask for help on the newsgroups, but theres
nothing for it, I guess... as there doesn't seem to be any (easily
located) walkthrough for the game.
If anyone has finsihed the game (or at least part 2) and wouldn't mind
helping me out, I'd appreaciate it.
The adpative hints were fine for me, then suddenly towards the very
beginning if part two I got stuck and there aren't any hints
available. It makes me very sad as I was really starting to get into
the game.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to hint me up.
-fnord

In article <21e5a0t3h90ap8ihckpfkl0tqh89c1k224@4ax.com> fnord <fnord3125@hotmail.com> writes:
>If anyone has finsihed the game (or at least part 2) and wouldn't mind
>helping me out, I'd appreaciate it.

I think I played and finished this game so I checked my little page of
mini-reviews and saw it listed there. So I indeed did play it. However,
it was some time ago because the game isn't really fresh in my memory.
If you can give a bit more description of what part 2 is and where/why
you're stuck, maybe I can remember how things worked to give you some
hints. If others who remember the game better don't reply before then,
that is.

--
. . . . -- James Marshall (ORI) * ,
,. -- )-- , , . -- )-- , marshall@astro.umd.edu

fnord

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

>I think I played and finished this game so I checked my little page of
>mini-reviews and saw it listed there. So I indeed did play it. However,
>it was some time ago because the game isn't really fresh in my memory.
>If you can give a bit more description of what part 2 is and where/why
>you're stuck, maybe I can remember how things worked to give you some
>hints. If others who remember the game better don't reply before then,
>that is.

Heh. I was just about to give up on getting help here an email the
author. :)
Part two is when it is nighttime and the world has sort of changed.
It is once again impossible to walk past the guardian into the
shelter, but I used the built in hints to find out how to do so.
There is also the strange alien/fire boy by the fountain, which now is
filled with lava or some such. But he won't talk to me. I also can't
seem to interact with the tiny female fire-demon thing on the fountain
either. There also appears to be something in/around the giant
ch'nukka tree based on responses to the SENSE verb, but I can't figure
out anything to do there. Inside the shelter I couldn't make any
headway. I still couldn't figure out how to deal with the web and the
only other thing that seems important is a description of a patch of
light by the fireplace with no source.
At any rate, after explaining one of apparently three ways of getting
past the guardian and into the shelter, the adaptive hints died on me,
leaving me stranded. Maybe there is something I'm missing that should
be obvious... I'm not sure.

Hi, I think all of the main things you need to do in part2 are related with
the
fire boy. So somehow, you need to make him talk to you. My hint is
"fountain". Sorry for this akward hint. Good luck!

In article <15cfa0dinj85sqig3qh4id466eso0bgsmq@4ax.com> fnord <fnord3125@hotmail.com> writes:

>Heh. I was just about to give up on getting help here an email the
>author. :)

Hey, you can always do that, too. I'm sure the author would enjoy getting
some feedback and hearing from players.

>Part two is when it is nighttime and the world has sort of changed.

After reading this I realized I was confusing Glowgrass with Worlds Apart.
Heh. :) Not like I remember either especially well at this point, but
Worlds Apart is quite a bit more complex than Glowgrass.

>It is once again impossible to walk past the guardian into the
>shelter, but I used the built in hints to find out how to do so.

OK, I do remember the shelter and a guardian.

>There is also the strange alien/fire boy by the fountain, which now is
>filled with lava or some such. But he won't talk to me. I also can't
>seem to interact with the tiny female fire-demon thing on the fountain
>either.

Right, the fountain did change during the game. I don't remember too
much about it though. If the characters there won't talk to you, maybe
you need to show them something or get something for them? I really
can't remember; this is just a guess.

>There also appears to be something in/around the giant
>ch'nukka tree based on responses to the SENSE verb, but I can't figure
>out anything to do there.

I think you're right about that. There should be a way to enter the
tree, if I'm not mistaken, but it may require you to have experienced
something before to know how to do it.

>Inside the shelter I couldn't make any
>headway. I still couldn't figure out how to deal with the web and the
>only other thing that seems important is a description of a patch of
>light by the fireplace with no source.

I suspect that you need to do other things first, then maybe what's
in the shelter and going on there will make more sense.

>At any rate, after explaining one of apparently three ways of getting
>past the guardian and into the shelter, the adaptive hints died on me,
>leaving me stranded. Maybe there is something I'm missing that should
>be obvious... I'm not sure.

Strange. Do the available hints change as you do more things? Like do
you not get hints about a certain area until you've found that area?
I think some games have that feature, others don't. If Worlds Apart has
it, the hints stopping is probably a clue that you have to do something
else in some other area(s) before you can continue in the shelter, for
example. This would be a perfectly reasonable question to ask the
author if you wanted to write -- why the hints that were present and so
helpful through most of the story so far just seem to have died.
Well, I kind of doubt this was of much help, but good luck with it.
Maybe some others will see the thread and give you better responses.

--
. . . . -- James Marshall (ORI) * ,
,. -- )-- , , . -- )-- , marshall@astro.umd.edu
' ' http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall '''
"Astronomy is a dyslexic's nightmare." , *

fnord

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

>Strange. Do the available hints change as you do more things? Like do
>you not get hints about a certain area until you've found that area?
>I think some games have that feature, others don't. If Worlds Apart has
>it, the hints stopping is probably a clue that you have to do something
>else in some other area(s) before you can continue in the shelter, for
>example. This would be a perfectly reasonable question to ask the
>author if you wanted to write -- why the hints that were present and so
>helpful through most of the story so far just seem to have died.
> Well, I kind of doubt this was of much help, but good luck with it.
>Maybe some others will see the thread and give you better responses.

Yeah, they're adaptive hints, so you only ever see hints that relate
to things you've already run into. I'm really kind of pathetic when
it comes to IF games... I almost ALWAYS need hints and walkthroughs...
so I was using the hints at the beginning of part two right away to be
able to wake up from the nightmare. Then the hints informed me just
to explore and that I had to "meet someone", which I assumed was the
fire-boy. But he doesn't respond to any topic of conversation I've
tried. He will examine my imager if I give it to him, but he doesn't
say anything about it. The hints then told me one way to get past the
guardian. Then there were no more hints.

Maybe I will email the author.

Thanks for your help.

fnord

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:49:01 GMT, "Chih-Wei Wang"
<cwwang1111@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Hi, I think all of the main things you need to do in part2 are related with
>the
>fire boy. So somehow, you need to make him talk to you. My hint is
>"fountain". Sorry for this akward hint. Good luck!

I'll give that a shot. I'll be a little irritated if my only problem
was that he just won't talk about almost ANYTHING. After quizing him
on several things with no luck I came to the (possibly misguided)
assumption that he was like some other characters in the game that
just won't talk to you.

Thanks!

fnord <fnord3125@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<29sha0lmprrgc11rnpss3c8s8h6hv9qol1@4ax.com>...
> On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:49:01 GMT, "Chih-Wei Wang"
> <cwwang1111@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi, I think all of the main things you need to do in part2 are related with
> >the
> >fire boy. So somehow, you need to make him talk to you. My hint is
> >"fountain". Sorry for this akward hint. Good luck!
>
> I'll give that a shot. I'll be a little irritated if my only problem
> was that he just won't talk about almost ANYTHING. After quizing him
> on several things with no luck I came to the (possibly misguided)
> assumption that he was like some other characters in the game that
> just won't talk to you.

I have little or nothing useful to add. I just like this paragraph,
when taken out of context. (That is, fnord, you'll be happy to know
that the boy is actually one of the most wordy characters in all of
IF. As the author's afterword says, "Ask him about life, the
universe, and everything. He'll probably respond.")

I second "fountain". That is all.

--
Daphne

fnord

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

>I have little or nothing useful to add. I just like this paragraph,
>when taken out of context. (That is, fnord, you'll be happy to know
>that the boy is actually one of the most wordy characters in all of
>IF. As the author's afterword says, "Ask him about life, the
>universe, and everything. He'll probably respond.")
>
>I second "fountain". That is all.

I apparently could use some more explicit help then. I did discover
that I could become a knight inside Haven and bring the star-cluster
out, and I've retrieved the shards of crystal from the imager. Not
that these things are doing me much good. I still can't get the boy
to open up about anything. Stupid fire kid...

Keeping original messages as SPOILER space.

I did mention the SPOILER, didn't I?

Somewhere an attribution got lost... I wrote the double-quoted stuff
here.

fnord <fnord3125@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e87ka0pqfpikf9i1ifkh47a5s7grgq243c@4ax.com>...
> >I have little or nothing useful to add. I just like this paragraph,
> >when taken out of context. (That is, fnord, you'll be happy to know
> >that the boy is actually one of the most wordy characters in all of
> >IF. As the author's afterword says, "Ask him about life, the
> >universe, and everything. He'll probably respond.")
> >
> >I second "fountain". That is all.
>
> I apparently could use some more explicit help then. I did discover
> that I could become a knight inside Haven and bring the star-cluster
> out, and I've retrieved the shards of crystal from the imager. Not
> that these things are doing me much good. I still can't get the boy
> to open up about anything. Stupid fire kid...

I can't remember exactly, but I think if you drink from the fountain,
good things happen. I don't believe it will let you drink twice.

I can check when I get home tonight.

--
Daphne

SPOILER after original message....

"fnord" <fnord3125@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have little or nothing useful to add. I just like this paragraph,
> >when taken out of context. (That is, fnord, you'll be happy to know
> >that the boy is actually one of the most wordy characters in all of
> >IF. As the author's afterword says, "Ask him about life, the
> >universe, and everything. He'll probably respond.")
> >
> >I second "fountain". That is all.
>
> I apparently could use some more explicit help then. I did discover
> that I could become a knight inside Haven and bring the star-cluster
> out, and I've retrieved the shards of crystal from the imager. Not
> that these things are doing me much good. I still can't get the boy
> to open up about anything. Stupid fire kid...

If you don't have a bowl in your inventory, I guest you haven't tried to
"join" the fire boy.