Linux Adventure Games?

Are there many Linux Adventure Games out there?

I think Zork under xterm, perhaps with ANSI color, would rock.

Sincerely,

Paul Panks
dunric@yahoo.com

--
panks@sdf.lonestar.org

Paul Allen Panks wrote:
> Are there many Linux Adventure Games out there?

As long as I can see on Baf's, there are only two games that run
natively on Linux, Adventure (obviously) and Curse of Eldor.

Obviously there are lots of terps for z-code and Tads game (I use Zoom
and QTads), for Hugo, and there's even Scare for Adrift.
Or you can run a dos emulator like DosBox.

> I think Zork under xterm, perhaps with ANSI color, would rock.

I don't agree, I'd prefer Zork under a full window Zoom, but you can
just run a console version Frotz.

bye
--
Paolo Lucchesi

email: plucchesi(at)tin(dot)it
home page: http://www.paololucchesi.it

Non viviamo in un mondo perfetto (per fortuna)...

Paolo Lucchesi wrote:

> Paul Allen Panks wrote:
>
>> Are there many Linux Adventure Games out there?
>

> As long as I can see on Baf's, there are only two games that run
> natively on Linux, Adventure (obviously) and Curse of Eldor.

The Debian BSD Games package comes with Adventure and something called
Battlestar, so there is at least one other native Linux adventure game.
I haven't looked very much at it, but apperently it's some form of
treasure hunt. It uses a very annoying left/right/forward/back system
that makes orientation more or less impossible.

--
Anders

In article <qDIoc.249180$rM4.10635084@news4.tin.it>,
Paolo Lucchesi <plucchesi@NOSPAMtin.it> wrote:
>Paul Allen Panks wrote:
>> Are there many Linux Adventure Games out there?
>
>As long as I can see on Baf's, there are only two games that run
>natively on Linux, Adventure (obviously) and Curse of Eldor.

I think most of the games for which C source is available will compile
and run just fine under Linux. Look in the if-archive/games/source
directory on the IF-archive. Fortran source is trickier, because they
tend to be older games that may be written in old versions of Fortran
and/or use OS-specific features that won't work under Linux.

Basic and Pascal source is even trickier since you need a compiler
that's compatible with the particular dialect of Basic or Pascal
used to write the game.

>Obviously there are lots of terps for z-code and Tads game (I use Zoom
>and QTads), for Hugo, and there's even Scare for Adrift.

And there's of course glulxe/XGlk.

>> I think Zork under xterm, perhaps with ANSI color, would rock.
>
>I don't agree, I'd prefer Zork under a full window Zoom, but you can
>just run a console version Frotz.

Zarf ported Dungeon (the Fortran port of the original Zork) to C with
Glk and that version works under Linux. (dungeon-glk.tar.Z on the
IF-archive)

--
Magnus Olsson (mol@df.lth.se)
PGP Public Key available at http://www.df.lth.se/~mol

Paul Allen Panks wrote:

> Are there many Linux Adventure Games out there?
>
> I think Zork under xterm, perhaps with ANSI color, would rock.

My distribution has "Dungeon", "Adventure" and "Hunt The Wumpus" in the
Games package. All native Linux executables, with sourcecode translated
automaticly from Fortran to C (I think).