steven

Here is a decent old commercial game based on The Wizard of OZ (now
apparently public domain or freeware):
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1273
Despite what the reviewer says, the game very closely resembles the book,
and NOT the movie. Only the first half of the game is available here for
download. I wonder if anyone knows where to get the second half. Hmmmm?
As a fan of the Oz series of books, I wish there was more IF based on it.
Most of the old Oz novels are now public domain and would make excellent
material for text adventure games, in part because in the books the
characters have to solve many puzzles, there a lots of weird and powerful
magical objects, there are many exotic locations they explore, and they meet
many interesting, friendly and dangerous creatures. Maybe I should make my
own Oz text adventure, but I think that would be lots of hard work, and it
wouldn't be much fun exploring a game of my own design.
Can anyone recommend games that are in the spirit of the Oz series?

"Steven" <shikai25@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<10a8ledfr9qok50@corp.supernews.com>...
> Here is a decent old commercial game based on The Wizard of OZ (now
> apparently public domain or freeware):
> http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1273
> Despite what the reviewer says, the game very closely resembles the book,
> and NOT the movie. Only the first half of the game is available here for
> download. I wonder if anyone knows where to get the second half. Hmmmm?

This seems to be the same game for the C64. I believe a friend of mine
completed this very version, so it's very likely to be complete:

http://8bit.microheaven.com/En/Nof/Ahtml/engwoo.html

/Fredrik

In <10a8ledfr9qok50@corp.supernews.com> "Steven" <shikai25@yahoo.com> writes:

>Here is a decent old commercial game based on The Wizard of OZ (now
>apparently public domain or freeware):

Oh, that Oz.

>Can anyone recommend games that are in the spirit of the Oz series?

Well, no, but I think a game set in a prison would be interesting.

--
Ei se mitään.

In article <10a8ledfr9qok50@corp.supernews.com>,
Steven <shikai25@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Can anyone recommend games that are in the spirit of the Oz series?

Well, no. I'm guessing you're looking for something gently goofy, with
really neat gadgets and amusing, if not very deep, NPCs. _Wishbringer_,
maybe? A little dark for an Oz-like experience, though.

But an idea I've been kicking around for several years, but probably
will not implement, is the following:

It's an Oz game, in which you can control multiple characters. There
are sections of the games where the group is split up, and sections
where they are together, and in the sections where they are together,
there are some puzzles that require having different characters do
different things. That'd be kind of like _Suspended_, only completely
different in tone.

I think a setting rather like that from _Rinkitink in Oz_ would be fun.
Let's say the Nome King is the antagonist, and the player controls, say,
Dorothy, Tik-Tok, Toto, and some-other-major-secondary character
(Polychrome?), would need to escape from the Nome King's dungeons.

Adam