Help: Snowball, Level 9 - SemiSpoiler

PAX

Distinguished
May 22, 2001

I thought I'd grant myself the luxury of replaying this old gem,
so I loaded it up in my CCS64 emulator and surprisingly got stuck right at
the start.
I *almost* completed it 15 years ago on my Commodore 64, but things have
changed..

<SPOILER>

I simply cannot escape the curving corridors anymore,
am I to be stuck there forever being chased by the horrifying
syringe-wielding Nightingale ?!

<SPOILER>

To my problem:

I've hid in the trapdoor untill the mechanical Nightingale passes by..
then I hurry out the corridor, turn east and face a button portruding from
the floor.
When I press it, this happens:
"SORRY! A COLONIST MAY BE LOOSE ON
WHITE LEVEL! ELEVATOR SERVICE TO
AFFECTED AREAS IS SUSPENDED!"

The elevator door to the south will not open, and I'm easy prey for the
Nightingale.

I can't remember that this happened last time I played, but now I'm stuck
here.
Thought I'd check to see what the walkthrough could tell, but to no avail -.

Can anyone help out?

PAX

Distinguished
May 22, 2001

http://ifarchive.heanet.ie/if-archive/level9/hints/clue-sheets/Snowball.clues
> Solution, same source:
> http://ifarchive.heanet.ie/if-archive/level9/hints/solutions/Snowball.sol

How do I get off the white level ?

<SPOILER>

PS: If you are referring to the "PUSH RED BUTTON" x 3 sequence in the
solution, that doesn't help.
This solution further suggests and I quote: "PUSH BUTTON (the elevator
arrives)". But nay it doesn't.

So I cannot go South, which according to the solution is the next action.

Pax wrote:
> "David Kinder" <d.kinder@btinternetspamnothankyou.com> wrote:
>
>>>The elevator door to the south will not open, and I'm easy prey for the
>>>Nightingale.
>>
>>You need to get off the white level before venturing outside ...
>>
>>More clues, from an Archive mirror:
>>

> http://ifarchive.heanet.ie/if-archive/level9/hints/clue-sheets/Snowball.clues
>
>>Solution, same source:
>>http://ifarchive.heanet.ie/if-archive/level9/hints/solutions/Snowball.sol
>

> How do I get off the white level ?

While trying not to give too much away, have a good look around while
you are still in the first room. From memory (and it's about 10 years
since I last played it) I think the hint you need is in the room
description. You can do everything you need to without going into the
corridor.

And the white level is right at the bottom.....

Mark.

PAX

Distinguished
May 22, 2001

"Liability Grimwood" <spamtrapmdg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> While trying not to give too much away, have a good look around while
> you are still in the first room. From memory (and it's about 10 years
> since I last played it) I think the hint you need is in the room
> description. You can do everything you need to without going into the
> corridor.
>
> And the white level is right at the bottom.....

Hmm. I'm afraid I'm already beyond needing hints now - I need the answer.
If you write this from a 10 year old memory, I must admit this is what my
memory also suggested, but it doesn't help.

Besides I've already followed every step of the walkthrough without getting
any further, so we can assume that this walkthrough:
http://ifarchive.heanet.ie/if-archive/level9/hints/solutions/Snowball.sol is
incorrect, could anyone else verify this?

If you are still getting the same reply when you try to push the elevator
button... has the nightingale seen you, or has it detected your presence? I
played (and finished) the game an year ago, and if I remember correctly you
should have never let a nightingale detect you: don't do anything when they are
approaching outside the door, just wait until they're gone, and enter a room in
the corridor every now and then to avoid being seen. You should get down from
the white level without doing anything they could detect.

- Guido

"Pax" <paxelius@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:40b14a63@news.broadpark.no...

> "Liability Grimwood" <spamtrapmdg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > While trying not to give too much away, have a good look around while
> > you are still in the first room. From memory (and it's about 10 years
> > since I last played it) I think the hint you need is in the room
> > description. You can do everything you need to without going into the
> > corridor.
> >
> > And the white level is right at the bottom.....
>
> Hmm. I'm afraid I'm already beyond needing hints now - I need the answer.
> If you write this from a 10 year old memory, I must admit this is what my
> memory also suggested, but it doesn't help.
>

> Besides I've already followed every step of the walkthrough without getting
> any further, so we can assume that this walkthrough:
> http://ifarchive.heanet.ie/if-archive/level9/hints/solutions/Snowball.sol is
> incorrect, could anyone else verify this?

It works okay for me here, at least getting into the lift, though I am using
the Amiga Silicon Dreams version on the Level9 interpreter on Windows.

The point is that you can't go outside on the level you wake up as the
nightingales are looking for you. You've got to get the coffin freezer to
slide out so you can go up to the level above, then get to the lift there.

The coffin should slide out when you press the red button three times. What
happens in your version?

David

PAX

Distinguished
May 22, 2001

"Guido Mureddu" <malcolm81@remove.this.tiscali.it> wrote:
> If you are still getting the same reply when you try to push the elevator
> button... has the nightingale seen you, or has it detected your presence?

No it hasn't seen me and should not have detected my presence.

> I played (and finished) the game an year ago, and if I remember correctly
you
> should have never let a nightingale detect you: don't do anything when
they are
> approaching outside the door, just wait until they're gone, and enter a
room in
> the corridor every now and then to avoid being seen. You should get down
from
> the white level without doing anything they could detect.

I've hid in the trapdoor and waited until the Nightingale comes and passes.
It doesn't work, I get the text "..A COLONIST MAY BE LOOSE.." every time.

There's also no need to enter any other room in the corridor, because the
door to the elevator is just east of start location. But I've tried that too
without success.

It seems that either the walkthrough is flawed. Or even worse, my copy of
Snowball is defect.

PS: I seem to remember from the early original C64 version that it was
possible to be put in jail by typing something (can't recall) right at the
start. From there it was relatively simple to progress further and the game
opened up, I didn't visit the elevator until much later in the game.

Pax wrote:

> PS: I seem to remember from the early original C64 version that it was
> possible to be put in jail by typing something (can't recall) right at the
> start. From there it was relatively simple to progress further and the game
> opened up, I didn't visit the elevator until much later in the game.

I took a lucky guess and the magic words seem to be XYZZY, PLUGH and PLOVER.

Mark.

What now? xyzzy

A psychobot taps you on the shoulder. "Ahem. Your behaviour patterns
seem irrational". You feel a hypo.. Then nothing.
You're in a padded cell. A nutrimat machine is the only furniture. A gap
leads west behind the machine.

PAX

Distinguished
May 22, 2001

"David Kinder" <d.kinder@btinternetspamnothankyou.com> wrote:

> > Besides I've already followed every step of the walkthrough without
getting
> > any further, so we can assume that this walkthrough:

http://ifarchive.heanet.ie/if-archive/level9/hints/solutions/Snowball.sol is
> > incorrect, could anyone else verify this?
>
> It works okay for me here, at least getting into the lift, though I am
using
> the Amiga Silicon Dreams version on the Level9 interpreter on Windows.

I'll see if I can find a copy of that version too..

> The point is that you can't go outside on the level you wake up as the
> nightingales are looking for you. You've got to get the coffin freezer to
> slide out so you can go up to the level above, then get to the lift there.

So you mean it should be possible to climb the coffin, scramble through the
trapdoor then emerge on the level above ? *GASP* You're right, thanks alot!
I can't belive what I've been thinking ?! I always thought that the trapdoor
was just a hole in which to hide within the same room. It didn't occur to me
that I was in a completely different room, so I always typed "Down" before I
proceeded out north and to the elevator.

> The coffin should slide out when you press the red button three times.
What
> happens in your version?

Yes, the same.

Thanks to all of you for your help, I can't wait to plunge into the elevator
and beyond :)

PAX

Distinguished
May 22, 2001

"Liability Grimwood" <spamtrapmdg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > PS: I seem to remember from the early original C64 version that it was
> > possible to be put in jail by typing something (can't recall) right at
the
> > start. From there it was relatively simple to progress further and the
game
> > opened up, I didn't visit the elevator until much later in the game.
>
> I took a lucky guess and the magic words seem to be XYZZY, PLUGH and
PLOVER.

> Mark.
>

> What now? xyzzy
>
> A psychobot taps you on the shoulder. "Ahem. Your behaviour patterns
> seem irrational". You feel a hypo.. Then nothing.
> You're in a padded cell. A nutrimat machine is the only furniture. A gap
> leads west behind the machine.

Aha! Yes, brilliant!