Sign in with
Your question

sceptre x22-wg aspect ratio issues

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 13, 2007 11:23:26 PM

I'm very surprised this hasn't been mentioned anywhere I can find, and I've searched the internet quite thoroughly.

I have a X22-WG monitor that supports HDMI which I use for my PS3. However, the PS3 produces a 16x9 image so the monitor stretches this to accommodate for its 16x10 aspect ratio. How do I letterbox it, so I have a proper aspect ratio?

Anyone have this monitor that could help me out? Thanks.
February 1, 2007 2:30:17 AM

If you go into HDMI mode, there should be an aspect adjustment you can make between 4:3 and 16:9 ratios, but without specific details on letterboxing. Also, without owning a PS3, I wonder if there is a corresponding adjustment?
I know that on my Panasonic upconverting DVD player, there is a specific letterbox adjustment that syncs nicely with the monitor adjustments at 4:3 ratio.
February 1, 2007 3:10:27 AM

Thanks for your response, but the issue has already been resolved.

The 16:9 image that's produced on a Sceptre monitor will always be stretched to be 16:10 so it can fit the full screen. I've e-mailed them, and they responded saying it's an error the Sceptre engineers just didn't even think about or notice. The "16:9" option on the monitor's menu is in fact not 16:9. While 4:3 is a proper aspect ratio on the monitor, any image that isn't 4:3 is still stretched.

I've gone to many forums and even though I see these tech gurus post pictures of their PS3s running on their Sceptre monitor with that stretched image, they never even mention it! Is it like commonly accepted or something? I find it annoying.

My question is: why even support HDMI if you're going to stretch all of the signals taken from it?

I'm going to try an HDMI --> DVI adapter with a digital audio and see if that makes a difference.
February 1, 2007 3:57:49 AM

My question is: why even support HDMI if you're going to stretch all of the signals taken from it?

Well, that's the whole benefit of HDMI, it's an uncompressed A/V signal, designed for 16:9/16:10 widescreen formats. Anyway, I really feel in your case, it's a PS3 issue. If there isn't a letterbox adjustment like there are in certain DVD players, I think you're unfortunately stuck on a widescreen format. Hopefully, I am mistaken and that there is some sort of a workaround. :wink:
!