Problems with restarting and logon, pls help

July 5, 2005 12:09:01 AM

It seems that when I installed a new desktop theme to my computer I am now
having problems with logging off and logging on. Here is the problem. I
downloaded a roses theme last week and then decided to change the theme. Ok
that worked, no problem. Then when I restart my computer I see this rose
theme background appear for a second and then the computer begins to
restart. Then upon starting up I get a black screen that tells me I need to
restore my system. I am using Win XP. So I choose the restore option and the
computer begins to start up into Windows and when it gets to the desktop it
starts using that rose theme background and then quickly changes to the new
theme's background that I had selected before shutting down. I then proceed
to delete all the files from this particular rose theme. The problem still
keeps happening. So last night I decided to download this rose them again
and save it to a folder to my desktop so I can do a search on the computer
for every background file it comes with. I do the search for the files and
the only ones it finds are the ones in a temp folder that I created on my
desktop. I then delete the whole folder and empty the recycle bin and try to
restart again. Well the same thing happens. Somehow there is still a file
left on my computer from this theme that I cannot find and now it is
corrupting my computer. I did a virus scan twice and it came up clean. I
also did a spyware scan and that also came up clean.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how can I fix it. I never had a
problem with restarting my computer until I installed this theme.

Thanks.
July 5, 2005 2:40:00 AM

Hi,

This sounds common is high contrast and/or the Accessibility option was also
used. If so, revert all. Set your system back to XP default and try again.
If still having problems, check here:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"SP" <nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> It seems that when I installed a new desktop theme to my computer I am now
> having problems with logging off and logging on. Here is the problem. I
> downloaded a roses theme last week and then decided to change the theme.
> Ok
> that worked, no problem. Then when I restart my computer I see this rose
> theme background appear for a second and then the computer begins to
> restart. Then upon starting up I get a black screen that tells me I need
> restore my system. I am using Win XP. So I choose the restore option and
> the
> computer begins to start up into Windows and when it gets to the desktop
> it
> starts using that rose theme background and then quickly changes to the
> new
> theme's background that I had selected before shutting down. I then
> proceed
> to delete all the files from this particular rose theme. The problem still
> keeps happening. So last night I decided to download this rose them again
> and save it to a folder to my desktop so I can do a search on the computer
> for every background file it comes with. I do the search for the files and
> the only ones it finds are the ones in a temp folder that I created on my
> desktop. I then delete the whole folder and empty the recycle bin and try
> restart again. Well the same thing happens. Somehow there is still a file
> left on my computer from this theme that I cannot find and now it is
> corrupting my computer. I did a virus scan twice and it came up clean. I
> also did a spyware scan and that also came up clean.
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening and how can I fix it. I never had a
> problem with restarting my computer until I installed this theme.
>
> Thanks.

July 5, 2005 2:01:34 PM

AFter I restart, it comes up with a black screen that asks me if I want to
revert back to the system restore, but it constantly does that everytime I
log on. There is still one of the files from that theme in there somewhere
that I can't get rid of. What do I look for when I get into that registry
key?

news:o ISk3MRgFHA.3204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> This sounds common is high contrast and/or the Accessibility option was
> also used. If so, revert all. Set your system back to XP default and try
> again. If still having problems, check here:
>
> [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]
>

> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "SP" <nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> It seems that when I installed a new desktop theme to my computer I am
>> now
>> having problems with logging off and logging on. Here is the problem. I
>> downloaded a roses theme last week and then decided to change the theme.
>> Ok
>> that worked, no problem. Then when I restart my computer I see this rose
>> theme background appear for a second and then the computer begins to
>> restart. Then upon starting up I get a black screen that tells me I need
>> restore my system. I am using Win XP. So I choose the restore option and
>> the
>> computer begins to start up into Windows and when it gets to the desktop
>> it
>> starts using that rose theme background and then quickly changes to the
>> new
>> theme's background that I had selected before shutting down. I then
>> proceed
>> to delete all the files from this particular rose theme. The problem
>> still
>> keeps happening. So last night I decided to download this rose them again
>> and save it to a folder to my desktop so I can do a search on the
>> computer
>> for every background file it comes with. I do the search for the files
>> and
>> the only ones it finds are the ones in a temp folder that I created on my
>> desktop. I then delete the whole folder and empty the recycle bin and try
>> restart again. Well the same thing happens. Somehow there is still a file
>> left on my computer from this theme that I cannot find and now it is
>> corrupting my computer. I did a virus scan twice and it came up clean. I
>> also did a spyware scan and that also came up clean.
>>
>> Does anyone know why this is happening and how can I fix it. I never had
>> problem with restarting my computer until I installed this theme.
>>
>> Thanks.

July 7, 2005 3:55:37 AM

1. You are booting to Safe Mode? Stay there and go to Start/Run and type
in: msconfig
Once there, go to Boot.ini and make sure /SafeBoot isn't checked off.

2. As per you latter question: Start/Run/Regedit

--

!