DVI-D to VGA connections

mtbiker70

Distinguished
May 20, 2005
Hello all. I seem to have myself a problem. I can't seem to find a way to connect a monitor to my video card. Here is the hardware I'm dealing with:

GeForce 4 Ti4600, with a standard VGA connection, S-Video and DVI-D.

I have a 19" CRT monitor plugged into the standard VGA port on the vid card. I just had a buddy sell me a rather nice 17" CTX 720 LCD monitor that uses a VGA connection. I'm wanting to plug the LCD into the vid card as well to run dual monitors. (Flight simulator junkie).

I'm having a hard time finding a DVI-D (male) to VGA (female) connector. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Dondo

Chuck_Hsiao

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2005
Well DVI-D to VGA cables don't exist, unless they're part of a converter box, because they're different types of signals. DVI-D is a digital signal, while VGA is an analog signal. You can see if the port also happens to support DVI-A (analog) though, which you can tell by whether or not it has four pin holes next to the slotted hole (two above and two below). If so, you can get a DVI-A to VGA converter cable (which I don't think needs a converter -- you should check though to be sure) or a DVI-I to VGA converter cable. With any luck one of your monitors might also support a DVI connection.

Chuck Hsiao
Amptron

Bruxbox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
You don' need a "cable", you need an adapter. Quite a few AGP card makers include a DVI-to-VGA adapter with the card so that an users can connect two VGA monitors to the card.

One end of the adapter connects to the DVI port on the card, and the other end of the adapter is a standard 15 pin Dsub port. So, all you need then is to connect your VGA monitor's cable to the adapter.

Go to Newegg, and look up any AGP retail card (most brands), click on the pictures for the card, and you will probably see an adapter. For instance, lookup the Leadtek A400 GT; there is picture of the adapter in one of the acccompanying photos.