I have win XPSP2. I copied a game to a CD. gave it to a friend that has win
98.
He gets this message: The drive or network connection is unavailable.
What does this mean?

How did you copy this game? Was this a disk-to-disk copy or did you
download this game and then copy the executable to the CD? What format did
you use?

"cepal" <anonymous@ microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have win XPSP2. I copied a game to a CD. gave it to a friend that has win
>98.
> He gets this message: The drive or network connection is unavailable.
> What does this mean?

I downloaded the chess game to my computer first, then copied it to CD.
..right clicked the desk icon, on send to: I clicked the Cd-RW Drive- D and
recorded it. I tried the disk in my computer, It worked. I am told now that
I didn't copie all the files. It worked on my computer because it used my
files.I just sent the game by e-mail with all the files. Hope this makes
sense. Thanks for replying promptly

In news:OgVRnyNgFHA.132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
cepal <anonymous@ microsoft.com> typed:

> I downloaded the chess game to my computer first, then copied
> it to

You say "downloaded." Did you download it from the internet?

Some people misuse the word "download" to mean "install." If you
tried to copy an installed program to a CD, the result won't
work. A program has references in the registry and probably other
supporting files elsewhere. Copies of installed programs don't
work. Programs have to installed from the original media.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> CD. .right clicked the desk icon, on send to: I clicked the
> Cd-RW
> Drive- D and recorded it. I tried the disk in my computer, It
> worked.
> I am told now that I didn't copie all the files. It worked on
> my
> computer because it used my files.I just sent the game by
> e-mail with
> all the files. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for replying
> promptly
> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> How did you copy this game? Was this a disk-to-disk copy or
>> did you
>> download this game and then copy the executable to the CD?
>> What
>> format did you use?
>>
>> "cepal" <anonymous@ microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have win XPSP2. I copied a game to a CD. gave it to a
>>> friend that
>>> has win 98.
>>> He gets this message: The drive or network connection is
>>> unavailable. What does this mean?

"cepal" <anonymous@ microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I downloaded the chess game to my computer first, then copied it to
> CD. .right clicked the desk icon, on send to: I clicked the Cd-RW
> Drive- D and recorded it. I tried the disk in my computer, It worked.
> I am told now that I didn't copie all the files. It worked on my
> computer because it used my files.I just sent the game by e-mail with
> all the files. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for replying promptly
> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> How did you copy this game? Was this a disk-to-disk copy or did you
>> download this game and then copy the executable to the CD? What
>> format did you use?
>>
>> "cepal" <anonymous@ microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have win XPSP2. I copied a game to a CD. gave it to a friend that
>>> has win 98.
>>> He gets this message: The drive or network connection is
>>> unavailable. What does this mean?

Did he copy to a folder on his hard drive and remove the Read Only
attribute?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"cepal" <anonymous@ microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have win XPSP2. I copied a game to a CD. gave it to a friend that has win
>98.
> He gets this message: The drive or network connection is unavailable.
> What does this mean?

It means the disk is possibly copy protected to avoid casual copying-
sometimes called piracy.

> In news:OgVRnyNgFHA.132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> cepal <anonymous@ microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I downloaded the chess game to my computer first, then copied
> > it to
>

> You say "downloaded." Did you download it from the internet?
>
> Some people misuse the word "download" to mean "install." If you
> tried to copy an installed program to a CD, the result won't
> work. A program has references in the registry and probably other
> supporting files elsewhere. Copies of installed programs don't
> work. Programs have to installed from the original media.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

That was my perception of his meaning of download as well, considering the
symptoms. Glad I'm not the only one.