I recently had a run in with some nasty hijacker/virus/trojan stuff. Now my
background is a white screen that says it is an html document when I look at
its properties by right-clicking. Doe anyone know anything about this? I have
ran multiple anti-spyware programs (cwshredder, spyware blaster, spybot
search and destroy, hijack this, microsoft anti-spyware beta, ad-ware se
personal, and this damn tmas-v30 thing that I cannot seem to uninstall (even
using my control panel/add-remove programs).

I also have been having sound card issues since my brush with computer
death, like when I check control panel/sounds and audio devices it says that
I have no audio device. Anything about that?

I appreciate any help.

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Rand66" wrote:

| I recently had a run in with some nasty hijacker/virus/trojan stuff. Now my
| background is a white screen that says it is an html document when I look at
| its properties by right-clicking. Doe anyone know anything about this? I have
| ran multiple anti-spyware programs (cwshredder, spyware blaster, spybot
| search and destroy, hijack this, microsoft anti-spyware beta, ad-ware se
| personal, and this damn tmas-v30 thing that I cannot seem to uninstall (even
| using my control panel/add-remove programs).
|
| I also have been having sound card issues since my brush with computer
| death, like when I check control panel/sounds and audio devices it says that
| I have no audio device. Anything about that?
|
| I appreciate any help.

Malke

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

It is not necessary for the OP to do a repair install just yet. Since
your newsreader apparently doesn't quote correctly, putting the quoted
text below what other newsreaders interpret as a signature line, here
is the OP's post:

"I recently had a run in with some nasty hijacker/virus/trojan stuff.
Now my background is a white screen that says it is an html document
when I look at its properties by right-clicking. Doe anyone know
anything about this? I have ran multiple anti-spyware programs
(cwshredder, spyware blaster, spybot search and destroy, hijack this,
microsoft anti-spyware beta, ad-ware se personal, and this damn
tmas-v30 thing that I cannot seem to uninstall (even using my control
panel/add-remove programs).

"I also have been having sound card issues since my brush with computer
death, like when I check control panel/sounds and audio devices it says
that I have no audio device. Anything about that?"

Rand66 - Here is how to fix the desktop display issue:

Here's how to get rid of the desktop warning being displayed by malware.
Go to the Display applet in Control Panel and look on the Desktop tab.
Click on Customize Desktop, and then click on the Web tab. You will see
that there are checkmarks next to "My Current Home Page" and probably
"Lock Desktop Items". Uncheck these. By highlighting the "My Current
Home Page" and clicking on the Properties button, you will be able to
determine the name of the file that is the message. It might be called
something like "security.html" or the like.

Click Apply and OK out when you've made your changes. Then you want to
find the *.html malware file and delete it.

And some other things to check out if the above doesn't work for you:

If you can't enable desktop backgrounds after a virus, MVP Kelly Theriot
has a fix. Look under Wallpaper-Desktop-Disable Changing here:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_w.htm

If Display tabs are missing, run Kelly's registry edit on line 285,
right-hand side "Restore all display tabs".

Check to see if these Registry entries exist:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GroupPolicyobject\{21A7BE9D-5027-49C1-B6F7-757B707E1C94}User\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
If "GroupPolicyRefreshTime" and/or "GroupPolicyRefreshTimeOffset" are
there, then delete them.

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System. If
"GroupPolicyRefreshTime" and/or "GroupPolicyRefreshTimeOffset" are
there, then delete them and then run the reg fix from Kelly's page.

A default wallpaper called wp.bmp may be set in
HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System created by the
smitfraud.c virus. Remove that and you will be able to choose different
wallpapers.

As for the sound problem, try reinstalling your sound card drivers. Get
the drivers from the device mftr.'s website, the OEM's website for your
specific computer if you have that kind of machine (Dell, Sony, HP,
etc.), or if the sound is on the motherboard the m/b mftr.'s website.

Post back if you need more help with any of this.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

kelly

Hi,

1. Start/Control Panel/Display/Desktop/Customize Desktop/Web and uncheck
Security.
2. Run line 371: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--

All the Best,