petkoyankov

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
Hello!
My hard drive “maxtor diamond plus 9 80Gb 8Mb cache model 6Y080P0 code (firmware) YAR41BW0” is broken.
Let me explain how this happends:
While I played a game, my computer was restarted and gave me a message “missing *.dll can not boot”. I downloaded this *.dll file, but unfortunately didn`t check for what version of Windows XP it is compiled. After that computer gaves me the same message again. I didn`t want to re-install windows, and decide to use recovery console from the installation CD of Windows. It was my biggest mistake. After command “fix mbr” (fix master boot record), my hard drive started to make some strange noises, seems it was unable to rotate cylinders. I guess, that stupid ‘recovery console’ decided to overwrite system information of 64 sector, and after restart my BIOS didn`t find hard drive, except of the moments that it founds it like “Maxtor Calypso”. After a long searching in internet, I realized that this mistake appear eighter when firmware (and/or initial data) are missing.
So, my question: is there a program, similar to “PC 3000”, which I can use to rewrite my firmware. In fact, “PC 3000” doesn`t support my hard drive model.
I suppose, with program like this, I can rewrite my firmware, which will recover my hard drive, and even data saved on it.
If it is possible, could you send me some similar program, that supports my model of hard drive (model 6Y080P0 code (firmware) YAR41BW0) to my e-mail: petkojankov@abv.bg or link.
Thank you in advance!!

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Errrr, no. Windows cannot overwrite your drive's firmware. That's not to say your drive's not screwed, it could well be. I recommend you get the PowerMax software from Maxtor's website and run the diagnostic on it.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

petkoyankov

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
I was already test my hard disk with PowerMax and nothing. This program can't recognise my hard disk. The massage was "There is not a drive" or something like that. PC 3000 is a program for rewriting hard disk's firmware and for other things but there is not support for my drive. If somebody knows a program which i can use please let me know about it.
Thank you in advance!!

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Yep, your drive's screwed :) You did do a google for maxtor AND firmware didn't you? I found firmware for the 6Y080M0, as far as I know the only difference between that an the 6Y080P0 is that one is OEM and the other retail.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

petkoyankov

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
unfortunately 6Y080M0 is a model of Maxtor 80Gb 2Mb cache
6Y080P0 is a model of Maxtor 80Gb 8Mb cache. I already was found this firmware yes :), but i'm afraid to risk with other firmware whitch is a different of my drive.