Hide Inactive Icons Greyed Out

I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
(System: Windows XP PRo SP2)

Tks
--
Poltonis
8 answers Last reply

    Read the instructions at the top
    290. Hide Inactive Icons - Greyed Out

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Explorer
    EnableAutoTray
    REG_DWORD
    0 or 1
    0 = display inactive icons
    1 = hide inactive icons

    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:AC5818ED-B03F-4E16-B62F-BC85D5D0B6C3@microsoft.com,
    Poltonis <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
    > the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
    > What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
    > (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
    >
    > Tks
    > --
    > Poltonis

    Thanks Wes - I merged enableautotray.reg downloaded from the site indicated,
    but Hide Inactive Icons remains greyed out. Opened enableautotray.reg in
    Notepad and noticed the value "EnableAutoTray"=dword:00000001, then checked
    my registry and it agreed with this, only it had (1) after it.
    I rebooted justincase...but same results.
    Any more suggestions please?

    Poltonis
    --------------

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Read the instructions at the top
    > 290. Hide Inactive Icons - Greyed Out
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    > CurrentVersion\Explorer
    > EnableAutoTray
    > REG_DWORD
    > 0 or 1
    > 0 = display inactive icons
    > 1 = hide inactive icons
    >
    > http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/918/
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:AC5818ED-B03F-4E16-B62F-BC85D5D0B6C3@microsoft.com,
    > Poltonis <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> hunted and pecked:
    > > I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
    > > the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
    > > What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
    > > (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
    > >
    > > Tks
    > > --
    > > Poltonis

    As I was reading your post Ramesh, I had just found out the culprit for this
    problem: it was "me". Some weeks back I was fiddling with Norton's Utilities
    System Optimizer and had check-marked Start menu /Turn off System Tray
    CleanUp. I am explaining this for the benefit of other NAV users.

    Anyhow, thanks to both of you for taking the time to offer advice and help:
    it is very much appreciated.
    I have also bookmarked http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm - it's most
    useful

    Best regards

    poltonis
    "Poltonis" wrote:

    > I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
    > the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
    > What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
    > (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
    >
    > Tks
    > --
    > Poltonis

    Poltonis,

    I have met the enemy and he is us. <LOL>

    Norton strikes again!

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DF47ECE6-FE33-4CFF-AF26-FD9AD9DAC426@microsoft.com,
    Poltonis <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> hunted and pecked:
    > As I was reading your post Ramesh, I had just found out the culprit for
    > this problem: it was "me". Some weeks back I was fiddling with Norton's
    > Utilities System Optimizer and had check-marked Start menu /Turn off
    > System Tray CleanUp. I am explaining this for the benefit of other NAV
    > users.
    >
    > Anyhow, thanks to both of you for taking the time to offer advice and
    > help: it is very much appreciated.
    > I have also bookmarked http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm - it's
    > most useful
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > poltonis
    > "Poltonis" wrote:
    >
    >> I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
    >> the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
    >> What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
    >> (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
    >>
    >> Tks
    >> --
    >> Poltonis

    "Hide inactive icons" is greyed out in Taskbar Properties:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks Wes - I merged enableautotray.reg downloaded from the site
    > indicated,
    > but Hide Inactive Icons remains greyed out. Opened enableautotray.reg in
    > Notepad and noticed the value "EnableAutoTray"=dword:00000001, then
    > checked
    > my registry and it agreed with this, only it had (1) after it.
    > I rebooted justincase...but same results.
    > Any more suggestions please?
    >
    > Poltonis
    > --------------
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    >> Read the instructions at the top
    >> 290. Hide Inactive Icons - Greyed Out
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    >> CurrentVersion\Explorer
    >> EnableAutoTray
    >> REG_DWORD
    >> 0 or 1
    >> 0 = display inactive icons
    >> 1 = hide inactive icons
    >>
    >> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/918/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:AC5818ED-B03F-4E16-B62F-BC85D5D0B6C3@microsoft.com,
    >> Poltonis <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> > I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
    >> > the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed
    >> > out".
    >> > What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
    >> > (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
    >> >
    >> > Tks
    >> > --
    >> > Poltonis

    You're welcome poltonis.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
    > As I was reading your post Ramesh, I had just found out the culprit for
    > this
    > problem: it was "me". Some weeks back I was fiddling with Norton's
    > Utilities
    > System Optimizer and had check-marked Start menu /Turn off System Tray
    > CleanUp. I am explaining this for the benefit of other NAV users.
    >
    > Anyhow, thanks to both of you for taking the time to offer advice and
    > help:
    > it is very much appreciated.
    > I have also bookmarked http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm - it's
    > most
    > useful
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > poltonis
    > "Poltonis" wrote:
    >
    >> I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
    >> the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
    >> What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
    >> (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
    >>
    >> Tks
    >> --
    >> Poltonis
  7. I had the same problem but after uninstalling xplorer2 I got them back again.
    You can also do a search in the registry for this NoTrayItemsDisplay and delete it.
  8. I had the same problem but after uninstalling xplorer2 I got them back again.
    You can also do a search in the registry for this NoTrayItemsDisplay and delete it.

Icons Microsoft System Restore Windows XP