Hide Inactive Icons Greyed Out

I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
(System: Windows XP PRo SP2)

Tks
--
Poltonis

Read the instructions at the top
290. Hide Inactive Icons - Greyed Out

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Explorer
EnableAutoTray
REG_DWORD
0 or 1
0 = display inactive icons
1 = hide inactive icons

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:AC5818ED-B03F-4E16-B62F-BC85D5D0B6C3@microsoft.com,
Poltonis <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> hunted and pecked:
> I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
> the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
> What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
> (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
>
> Tks
> --
> Poltonis

Thanks Wes - I merged enableautotray.reg downloaded from the site indicated,
but Hide Inactive Icons remains greyed out. Opened enableautotray.reg in
Notepad and noticed the value "EnableAutoTray"=dword:00000001, then checked
my registry and it agreed with this, only it had (1) after it.
I rebooted justincase...but same results.
Any more suggestions please?

Poltonis
--------------

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Read the instructions at the top
> 290. Hide Inactive Icons - Greyed Out
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
> CurrentVersion\Explorer
> EnableAutoTray
> REG_DWORD
> 0 or 1
> 0 = display inactive icons
> 1 = hide inactive icons
>
> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/918/
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:AC5818ED-B03F-4E16-B62F-BC85D5D0B6C3@microsoft.com,
> Poltonis <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> hunted and pecked:
> > I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
> > the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
> > What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
> > (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
> >
> > Tks
> > --
> > Poltonis

As I was reading your post Ramesh, I had just found out the culprit for this
problem: it was "me". Some weeks back I was fiddling with Norton's Utilities
System Optimizer and had check-marked Start menu /Turn off System Tray
CleanUp. I am explaining this for the benefit of other NAV users.

Anyhow, thanks to both of you for taking the time to offer advice and help:
it is very much appreciated.
I have also bookmarked http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm - it's most
useful

Best regards

poltonis
"Poltonis" wrote:

> I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
> the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
> What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
> (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
>
> Tks
> --
> Poltonis

Poltonis,

I have met the enemy and he is us. <LOL>

Norton strikes again!

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:DF47ECE6-FE33-4CFF-AF26-FD9AD9DAC426@microsoft.com,
Poltonis <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> hunted and pecked:
> As I was reading your post Ramesh, I had just found out the culprit for
> this problem: it was "me". Some weeks back I was fiddling with Norton's
> Utilities System Optimizer and had check-marked Start menu /Turn off
> System Tray CleanUp. I am explaining this for the benefit of other NAV
> users.
>
> Anyhow, thanks to both of you for taking the time to offer advice and
> help: it is very much appreciated.
> I have also bookmarked http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm - it's
> most useful
>
> Best regards
>
> poltonis
> "Poltonis" wrote:
>
>> I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
>> the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
>> What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
>> (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
>>
>> Tks
>> --
>> Poltonis

"Hide inactive icons" is greyed out in Taskbar Properties:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
> Thanks Wes - I merged enableautotray.reg downloaded from the site
> indicated,
> but Hide Inactive Icons remains greyed out. Opened enableautotray.reg in
> Notepad and noticed the value "EnableAutoTray"=dword:00000001, then
> checked
> my registry and it agreed with this, only it had (1) after it.
> I rebooted justincase...but same results.
> Any more suggestions please?
>
> Poltonis
> --------------
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

>> Read the instructions at the top
>> 290. Hide Inactive Icons - Greyed Out
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
>> CurrentVersion\Explorer
>> EnableAutoTray
>> REG_DWORD
>> 0 or 1
>> 0 = display inactive icons
>> 1 = hide inactive icons
>>
>> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/918/
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:AC5818ED-B03F-4E16-B62F-BC85D5D0B6C3@microsoft.com,
>> Poltonis <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> hunted and pecked:
>> > I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
>> > the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed
>> > out".
>> > What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
>> > (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
>> >
>> > Tks
>> > --
>> > Poltonis

You're welcome poltonis.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
> As I was reading your post Ramesh, I had just found out the culprit for
> this
> problem: it was "me". Some weeks back I was fiddling with Norton's
> Utilities
> System Optimizer and had check-marked Start menu /Turn off System Tray
> CleanUp. I am explaining this for the benefit of other NAV users.
>
> Anyhow, thanks to both of you for taking the time to offer advice and
> help:
> it is very much appreciated.
> I have also bookmarked http://windowsxp.mvps.org/traynotify.htm - it's
> most
> useful
>
> Best regards
>
> poltonis
> "Poltonis" wrote:
>
>> I have exhausted all System Restore Points, yet cannot make
>> the Hide Inactive Icons in the Taskbar appear again: it is "greyed out".
>> What Registry Tweak is required to activate it again?
>> (System: Windows XP PRo SP2)
>>
>> Tks
>> --
>> Poltonis

roder53

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I had the same problem but after uninstalling xplorer2 I got them back again.
You can also do a search in the registry for this NoTrayItemsDisplay and delete it.