Can my CPU running Win98 handle XPPro?

July 4, 2005 6:44:02 PM

Hello.

My computer is about 5-6 years old and I've been running Windows 98 Second
Edition on it ever since it was purchased. I own a Hewlett Packard Pavilion.
Here is some info about my C:\

Local Disk:
Capacity - 27.9GB
(used: 6.07GB)
(free: 21.8GB)

Memory: 127.0MB RAM

System Resouces: 49% Free

File System: 32-bit
Virtual Memory: 32-bit

I typically use my computer for internet use (browsing, messaging, chat),
creating documents out of microsoft word and other office programs, saving
images/photos to file, using image editing programs (i.e. photoshop) for
editing and creating digital images.

If you can answer my question and help me out with installing XP Pro (if
possible) and answering other questions please email (ims0hardcore @
yahoo.com) or reply to this thread, or message me on AIM:
iamaevilpoptart5

Thank you so much!
Ashley
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:29:58 PM

In news:0B222249-CAB7-4A67-8607-326959424873@microsoft.com,
ims0hardcore <ims0hardcore@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> My computer is about 5-6 years old and I've been running
> Windows 98
> Second Edition on it ever since it was purchased. I own a
> Hewlett
> Packard Pavilion. Here is some info about my C:\
>
> Local Disk:
> Capacity - 27.9GB
> (used: 6.07GB)
> (free: 21.8GB)

> Memory: 127.0MB RAM

That's not enough RAM to run XP at a speed you'd be happy with.
How much memory you need depends on what apps you run, but almost
everyone needs at least 256MB for decent performance. For some
people, for example those who edit large photographic images,
more than 256MB--even much more--can be required for good
performance.

You didn't say anything about what processor you have. Assuming
that it's at least a PII-400 or so, and you upgrade the RAM to at
least 256MB, it should be OK. It won't be speed demon with only a
PII-400, but it should be acceptable.

> System Resouces: 49% Free
>
> File System: 32-bit
> Virtual Memory: 32-bit

None of those are relevant.

> I typically use my computer for internet use (browsing,
> messaging,
> chat), creating documents out of microsoft word and other
> office
> programs, saving images/photos to file, using image editing
> programs
> (i.e. photoshop) for editing and creating digital images.

If you are a PhotoShop user, you need *much* more memory to get
decent performance. Even the 256MB I mentioned above isn't
enough.

I wouldn't recommend less than 512MB, and 1GB or more is even
better.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that a motherboard as old
as yours can't take as much memory as you would need.

Since you'd probably need to replace your motherboard, get a new
processor, and new RAM, you might well be better off just buying
a new computer.

If you do get XP, why do you want Professional rather than Home?
I don't see anything in what you say you do that suggests you
need Professional. XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the
same in all respects, except that Professional has a few features
(mostly related to networking and security) missing from Home.
For most (but not all) home users, even those with a home
network, these features aren't needed, would never be used, and
buying Professional instead of Home is a waste of money.

For details go to

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...

Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
connections, and Home only five.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> If you can answer my question and help me out with installing
> XP Pro
> (if possible) and answering other questions please email
> (ims0hardcore @ yahoo.com) or reply to this thread, or message
> me on
> AIM:
> iamaevilpoptart5
>

> Thank you so much!
> Ashley
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:55:11 PM

I would suggest purchasing the "Retail Upgrade Version" of
Windows XP Home Edition rather than XP Pro. See the following:

How Do I Use Upgrade Advisor?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/adviso...

Windows XP Home Edition Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...

How to Upgrade from Windows 95 or Windows 98
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/howto...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"ims0hardcore" wrote:

| Hello.
|
| My computer is about 5-6 years old and I've been running Windows 98 Second
| Edition on it ever since it was purchased. I own a Hewlett Packard Pavilion.
| Here is some info about my C:\
|
| Local Disk:
| Capacity - 27.9GB
| (used: 6.07GB)
| (free: 21.8GB)
|
| Memory: 127.0MB RAM
|
| System Resouces: 49% Free
|
| File System: 32-bit
| Virtual Memory: 32-bit
|

| I typically use my computer for internet use (browsing, messaging, chat),
| creating documents out of microsoft word and other office programs, saving
| images/photos to file, using image editing programs (i.e. photoshop) for
| editing and creating digital images.
|
| If you can answer my question and help me out with installing XP Pro (if
| possible) and answering other questions please email (ims0hardcore @
| yahoo.com) or reply to this thread, or message me on AIM:
| iamaevilpoptart5
|

| Thank you so much!
| Ashley
July 4, 2005 9:13:27 PM

If you do go with XP, I recommend upgrading your memory to at least
512MB for the tasks you listed.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:47:01 PM

=?Utf-8?B?aW1zMGhhcmRjb3Jl?= wrote:

> Memory: 127.0MB RAM
> System Resouces: 49% Free

NOt without a tuneup and more ram.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
July 4, 2005 10:25:38 PM

In article <0B222249-CAB7-4A67-8607-326959424873@microsoft.com>,
ims0hardcore@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?aW1zMGhhcmRjb3Jl?=
says...
> Hello.
>
> My computer is about 5-6 years old and I've been running Windows 98 Second
> Edition on it ever since it was purchased. I own a Hewlett Packard Pavilion.
> Here is some info about my C:\
>
> Local Disk:
> Capacity - 27.9GB
> (used: 6.07GB)
> (free: 21.8GB)
>
> Memory: 127.0MB RAM
>
> System Resouces: 49% Free
>
> File System: 32-bit
> Virtual Memory: 32-bit
>

> I typically use my computer for internet use (browsing, messaging, chat),
> creating documents out of microsoft word and other office programs, saving
> images/photos to file, using image editing programs (i.e. photoshop) for
> editing and creating digital images.
>
> If you can answer my question and help me out with installing XP Pro (if
> possible) and answering other questions please email (ims0hardcore @
> yahoo.com) or reply to this thread, or message me on AIM:
> iamaevilpoptart5
>

> Thank you so much!
> Ashley

What is your CPU speed? What model HP?
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:59:44 AM

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> =?Utf-8?B?aW1zMGhhcmRjb3Jl?= wrote:
>>
>> Memory: 127.0MB RAM
>> System Resouces: 49% Free
>
> NOt without a tuneup and more ram.

Can you explain the tuneup needed for a new OS installed?
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:31:35 AM

From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Alan Smith had this to say:

> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
>> =?Utf-8?B?aW1zMGhhcmRjb3Jl?= wrote:
>>>
>>> Memory: 127.0MB RAM
>>> System Resouces: 49% Free
>>
>> NOt without a tuneup and more ram.
>>

> Can you explain the tuneup needed for a new OS installed?

Oil change, lube job and new spark plugs?

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP] had
this to say:

> I would suggest purchasing the "Retail Upgrade Version" of
> Windows XP Home Edition rather than XP Pro.

Why?

> See the following:
>
> How Do I Use Upgrade Advisor?
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/adviso...
>
> Windows XP Home Edition Comparison Guide
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
>
> How to Upgrade from Windows 95 or Windows 98

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/howto...

And you send the OP to a site that talks how to upgrade to W2K. Now that's
brilliant. Got your bookmarks confused?

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:35:11 AM

FYI, my Windows XP has zero (0) spyware and zero (0) viruses
and is performing exceedingly well. Please do not insult the intelligence
of those who run Windows XP.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"NoStop" wrote:

| From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP] had
| this to say:
|
| > I would suggest purchasing the "Retail Upgrade Version" of
| > Windows XP Home Edition rather than XP Pro.
|
| Why?
|
| > See the following:
| >
| > How Do I Use Upgrade Advisor?
| > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/adviso...
| >
| > Windows XP Home Edition Comparison Guide
| > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
| >
| > How to Upgrade from Windows 95 or Windows 98
| >
| http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/howto...
| >
| And you send the OP to a site that talks how to upgrade to W2K. Now that's
| brilliant. Got your bookmarks confused?
|

| --
| Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
| "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:29:59 AM

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
news:D acjck$3h0$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
>> =?Utf-8?B?aW1zMGhhcmRjb3Jl?= wrote:
>>>
>>> Memory: 127.0MB RAM
>>> System Resouces: 49% Free
>>
>> NOt without a tuneup and more ram.
>
> Can you explain the tuneup needed for a new OS installed?

Go to HP's support to see if your hardware is upgradeable to
XP. Borrow a copy of XP, run the compatibility check.
(do not install just check compatibility). Then make a decision.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:15:58 AM

From his spyware and virus uninfected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP] had
this to say:

> FYI, my Windows XP has zero (0) spyware and zero (0) viruses
> and is performing exceedingly well. Please do not insult the intelligence
> of those who run Windows XP.

I run Windows XP, so I'm hardly trying to insult anyone's intelligence. I
just asked you some questions and am awaiting an answer. You made some
suggestions to the OP. But those suggestions are questionable. So I asked.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:15:48 AM

IMHO, by the time you put in enough RAM to support XP, and live with a slow
control processor beating up your little hard drive, you'd be very
disappointed. Bringing that old HP up-to-date with recent hardware
(mobo/cpu/memory/power supply) is an expensive if not an impossible
proposition.
Get a recent PC with XP installed, and transfer your settings and files
would be short route to your intended destination.

!