? 1 Monitor FOR 2 PCs + 1 Keyboard + 1 Mouse + 1 Person ?

alora

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Greetings,
I want to use 2 PCs with 1 Keyboard and 1 Mouse via LCD monitor's usb ports.
Did you ever tried this combination?
If answer is affirmative, are you satisfied enough?
Considering the answer is positive, would you please suggest best LCD monitor for my situation (multimedia & gaming) up to 22 inch. As I said It must have 2 usb ports and 2 inputs for PCs. I don't need tv tuner and speakers on the monitor. But I can buy a model like this if it's necessary.
I'm tired to searching answers and hope to find a good advise from "forumz"
Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.
Regards
alora

I don't know of any monitor that can handle two PC's at one time. However, there are splitters (KVM switch)that allow two monitors to be hooked up and at the touch of a button you can switch between the PC's. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find one. Will post back if I do.

Edit: I think I found what you are looking for. IO Gear KVM switch
Post back whether this is what you need or not.

alora

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
"lostandwandering" Thank you for your kind answer.

I've already used gadgets like "IO Gear KVM switch".
The main problem is resolution. I only reached 70 hz at CRTs and 50 hz at LCDs. My graphics cards can handle more than this.
But honestly don't know "IO Gear KVM switch". Maybe this one is better.

It can be a silly question but I wonder If I buy a monitor likeNEC Display Solutions 90GX2 may I use 2 computers with 1 keyboard, monitor and mouse? Because it hase USB up and down ports.

By the way, still searching best monitor for multimedia and gaming.
Any sugestion much appreciated

Regards
alora

alora

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Thank you "SINK" for your interest.
I went to the "aten" site and chosed one of them and will try.

But I still wonder If I buy a monitor like NEC 90GX2 can I use 2 computers with 1 keyboard, monitor and mouse? Because it hase USB up and down ports.
Thanks in advance.

Regards
alora

sink

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
Perhaps with some sort of usb switch, where you could could plug the up port on your monitor into the switch and it would switch between to other two other up ports linked to either pc. And then have your keyboard and mouse plugged into the down ports on your monitor. Here is one on Newegg.

When you switch between pc's you will have to change your display input and the usb switch but it would work. That monitor only has one dvi and one vga so you need a graphics card in one pc with dvi and the other with vga.

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
The solution is quite simple, its called synergy:
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

With synergy, you can control 2 pcs with one mouse/kb over IP.

I suppose your monitor will be plugged via the VGA port to one computer and via DVI to the other computer. Synergy will alow you to switch computer by either pressing a key of your choise or moving your mouse to a position that you decide.

katu93

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
The solution is quite simple, its called synergy:
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

With synergy, you can control 2 pcs with one mouse/kb over IP.

I suppose your monitor will be plugged via the VGA port to one computer and via DVI to the other computer. Synergy will alow you to switch computer by either pressing a key of your choise or moving your mouse to a position that you decide.

Wel.. for synergy you'll need 2 monitors... :pfff:

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
The X windowing system on Unix/Linux has supported remote use for like decades, so you could use that for some applications. Also in the Windows world there's solutions that do something similar nowadays, VPC and remote access etc. It depends a bit on what you really need.

What if a monitor had 2 DVI ports? Or then you could connect 1 puter with DVI and the other with HDMI. I know there's some monitors that support picture-in-picture from multiple sources, so some must be capable of handling multiple PCs.

KVM switches have had their limitations (image quality in the analog days). Going with a better model I suppose does away with the limitations but one might cost as much as a second screen (of course saves space, might be more convenient etc).