Kindle Fire 2 vs Nexus 7

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
i'm torn... what do poeple think of the new nexus 7? and based on what people are saying the new Fire will be like, which will be better?

i prefer amazon as far as content and google just really entered the field. i assume they have fewer titles and apps and such in their app store.

Nexus is out now (shortly) and the Fire 2 is saying end of Sept. so timeline is similar.

to add more choice into the mix, the Ipad mini is supposedly coming out Q3/Q4.

My goal is to get the best 7" tablet possible, decent content library, and wifi only... budget is $250. that may exclude the ipad although the rumor is there will be a low cost model. but usually for apple that doesnt mean much to me...

Thoughts?

I just got my Nexus 7 in the mail and I'm pretty happy with it. I can't say what the Fire 2 will bring, but the N7 has features the fire does not, like Bluetooth. For me, it only lacked a rear facing camera with macro mode to make it prefect.

I'm especially impressed with the voice software. Google searches, notes and much more seem effortless and completely accurate with no misunderstood words yet. WiFi connection was simple and fast.

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hmm... I have a blackberry and a PC, so tablets and apps and stuff are completely foreign to me. But i've heard that Google does not have as much "content" (movies, apps, etc) than say Amazon or Apple. But you can't use say Amazon apps or movies on a google tablet? how does that work?

These forums aren't real friendly with the device, a common problem with most phones or tablets.

Chrome is the default browser. It's fast and works well, except for a bug that prevents me from logging in.

Opera is a different browser I installed. It doesn't work as smoothly and is slower on these forums, but does let me log in.

I don't really intend to use the tablet for that purpose much. It's more an observation.

Since I have had it for a few days now, here is a list of the other things I have found.

The audio plug doesn't work well with ear buds. I think it wants a TRRS type headset connector. I use a bluetooth headset myself, but it's worth noting.

There is no power on indicator. After pressing the power button I find myself wondering if I pressed it long enough. You don't know until the word Google appears on the screen about 5 seconds later.

The micro USB port is a bit difficult to insert the cable into.

That's all the criticisms I have at the moment.

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Cool... and those are minor points. the video posted earlier shows how to get your apps over fairly easily. I guess its a wait and see at this point. if its 6 + months for the Fire 2 or Ipad mini, then its a Nexus 7 by default.

Please keep commenting as you discover things. thanks!

smallquadruped

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2012
I went with the Nexus 7 because of updates. However they compare at launch, after a while we're going to get an update before anyone else that adds a bunch of features and probably a significant performance increase, while everyone else has to wait months if they get the update at all.

Unless the nexus is physically missing something that justifies the inconvenience and lack of longevity, I recommend getting your android-milk directly from the google-cow.

cl-scott

Honorable
Obvious disclaimers aside (see sig and tagging under my username), the Kindle Fire devices are intended to be tied into Amazon's ecosystem first and a tablet second. The Nexus 7 is a "generic" Android tablet first and only. So figure out which one of those two you want and buy accordingly.

Google = Android and the android market is huge, don't worry about the lack of content for it.

The mini iPad will be cheaper than their regular model probably by quite a bit as they are using the 1st gen iPad parts to make it (from what I read), that may be a good pick if you are OK with the Apple lock down on apps and such.