System restart without error

Hi all,

I am bit worried about a problem I have encountered lately with my PC. All
of a sudden the system restarts with no reason. I know that this is not a
windows software error because I have disabled the "automatic restart in case
of an error" option. So I assume this is a hardware problem/conflict. Also I
know for sure that it is not temperature related problem either, since
whenever a restart occured my PC was in idle state, and anyway it have not so
far experienced a restart while I am playing games where the temperature
increases significantly then. Could it be a PSU problem? (I have a CHIEFTECH
350WATT PSU installed 5 months old). Maybe a motherboard problem? (The
mometherboard is an ASUS P5GD2 DELUXE bought brand new two months ago -
However all the mobo voltages (12,5,3,Vcore) values seem correct to me).
Please also note that my system restart is somehow rare (occurs once every
3-4 weeks). I have also tested the memory (using memtest86), as also the two
HD Drives and found no problems. My machine has the following specs:

INTEL P4 3.4GHz L2 CACHE 2MB
TRANSCEND 512MB DDR2
MSI NVIDIA 6600GT 128MB
LG internal DVD ROM
Plextor internal SCSI CD ROM
Adaptec SCSI PCI adapter
Two Western Digital HD Drives (one IDE, the other SATA)
External USB maxtor HD
External ZOOM USB modem

Many thanks for your help.

Yannis
4 answers Last reply
More about system restart error

    Have you checked your Event Viewer for any error messages? How's about any
    of the myriad log files that Windows creates - just search for anything
    created around the time of the restart.

    350 watts is awfully little to power your system, I'd say that you need at
    least 450 to 500 watts for what you've got. Here's a link to a power supply
    calculator that may help you estimate your needs:
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    "yannis_uno" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am bit worried about a problem I have encountered lately with my PC. All
    > of a sudden the system restarts with no reason. I know that this is not a
    > windows software error because I have disabled the "automatic restart in case
    > of an error" option. So I assume this is a hardware problem/conflict. Also I
    > know for sure that it is not temperature related problem either, since
    > whenever a restart occured my PC was in idle state, and anyway it have not so
    > far experienced a restart while I am playing games where the temperature
    > increases significantly then. Could it be a PSU problem? (I have a CHIEFTECH
    > 350WATT PSU installed 5 months old). Maybe a motherboard problem? (The
    > mometherboard is an ASUS P5GD2 DELUXE bought brand new two months ago -
    > However all the mobo voltages (12,5,3,Vcore) values seem correct to me).
    > Please also note that my system restart is somehow rare (occurs once every
    > 3-4 weeks). I have also tested the memory (using memtest86), as also the two
    > HD Drives and found no problems. My machine has the following specs:
    >
    > INTEL P4 3.4GHz L2 CACHE 2MB
    > TRANSCEND 512MB DDR2
    > MSI NVIDIA 6600GT 128MB
    > LG internal DVD ROM
    > Plextor internal SCSI CD ROM
    > Adaptec SCSI PCI adapter
    > Two Western Digital HD Drives (one IDE, the other SATA)
    > External USB maxtor HD
    > External ZOOM USB modem
    >
    > Many thanks for your help.
    >
    > Yannis

    First of all let me thank you for your time to reply. Now...

    > Have you checked your Event Viewer for any error messages? How's about any
    > of the myriad log files that Windows creates - just search for anything
    > created around the time of the restart.

    There is nothing created on the event viewer (I forgot to mention that).
    Since the problem must be hardware (there is no BSOD) I don't think windows
    would register this problem in the event viewer. It is difficult to check for
    log files since I cannot really recal the time of the reboot accurately.

    > 350 watts is awfully little to power your system, I'd say that you need at
    > least 450 to 500 watts for what you've got. Here's a link to a power supply
    > calculator that may help you estimate your needs:
    > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    Don't you think 450WATT PSU might be a little bit of an overkill for my
    case? I don't think that I have such an overloaded with devices PC that I
    would possibly need more than 350WATT. Again I might be wrong. The system
    restart that happens on my machine is simillar in response to pressing the
    reset button located on the ATX chasis. What I mean is that my PC does not
    shutdown completely and suddendly boots up again. The reset is instant. Is
    that the PSU you think?

    Thanks once more.

    Yannis

    From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, yannis_uno had this to say:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am bit worried about a problem I have encountered lately with my PC. All
    > of a sudden the system restarts with no reason. I know that this is not a
    > windows software error because I have disabled the "automatic restart in
    > case of an error" option. So I assume this is a hardware problem/conflict.
    > Also I know for sure that it is not temperature related problem either,
    > since whenever a restart occured my PC was in idle state, and anyway it
    > have not so far experienced a restart while I am playing games where the
    > temperature increases significantly then. Could it be a PSU problem? (I
    > have a CHIEFTECH 350WATT PSU installed 5 months old). Maybe a motherboard
    > problem? (The mometherboard is an ASUS P5GD2 DELUXE bought brand new two
    > months ago - However all the mobo voltages (12,5,3,Vcore) values seem
    > correct to me). Please also note that my system restart is somehow rare
    > (occurs once every 3-4 weeks). I have also tested the memory (using
    > memtest86), as also the two HD Drives and found no problems. My machine
    > has the following specs:
    >
    > INTEL P4 3.4GHz L2 CACHE 2MB
    > TRANSCEND 512MB DDR2
    > MSI NVIDIA 6600GT 128MB
    > LG internal DVD ROM
    > Plextor internal SCSI CD ROM
    > Adaptec SCSI PCI adapter
    > Two Western Digital HD Drives (one IDE, the other SATA)
    > External USB maxtor HD
    > External ZOOM USB modem
    >
    > Many thanks for your help.
    >
    > Yannis

    You appear to have a handle on checking the obvious culprits for this type
    of behavior. It is possible, since the problem is so periodic and random,
    that it's a problem with the power going to your computer. You might want
    to get that checked out.

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of buying a UPS and see if the problem
    happens then. Two more things that I would like to ask you.

    1) Do you know any good application for testing the motherboard?
    2) When windows xp shuts down abnormally shouldn't windows check the HD
    drives for any errors on restart? This doesn't happen in my case. I can
    recall such an action being taken by windows in the past.

    Thank you in advance.

    Yannis

    Ο χÏ?ήστης "NoStop" έγγÏ?αψε:

    > From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, yannis_uno had this to say:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I am bit worried about a problem I have encountered lately with my PC. All
    > > of a sudden the system restarts with no reason. I know that this is not a
    > > windows software error because I have disabled the "automatic restart in
    > > case of an error" option. So I assume this is a hardware problem/conflict.
    > > Also I know for sure that it is not temperature related problem either,
    > > since whenever a restart occured my PC was in idle state, and anyway it
    > > have not so far experienced a restart while I am playing games where the
    > > temperature increases significantly then. Could it be a PSU problem? (I
    > > have a CHIEFTECH 350WATT PSU installed 5 months old). Maybe a motherboard
    > > problem? (The mometherboard is an ASUS P5GD2 DELUXE bought brand new two
    > > months ago - However all the mobo voltages (12,5,3,Vcore) values seem
    > > correct to me). Please also note that my system restart is somehow rare
    > > (occurs once every 3-4 weeks). I have also tested the memory (using
    > > memtest86), as also the two HD Drives and found no problems. My machine
    > > has the following specs:
    > >
    > > INTEL P4 3.4GHz L2 CACHE 2MB
    > > TRANSCEND 512MB DDR2
    > > MSI NVIDIA 6600GT 128MB
    > > LG internal DVD ROM
    > > Plextor internal SCSI CD ROM
    > > Adaptec SCSI PCI adapter
    > > Two Western Digital HD Drives (one IDE, the other SATA)
    > > External USB maxtor HD
    > > External ZOOM USB modem
    > >
    > > Many thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > Yannis
    >
    > You appear to have a handle on checking the obvious culprits for this type
    > of behavior. It is possible, since the problem is so periodic and random,
    > that it's a problem with the power going to your computer. You might want
    > to get that checked out.
    >

    > --
    > Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    > "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Windows XP