Sign in with
Your question

I Want My Content Here and Now!

Last response: in Tom's Guide
January 16, 2007 8:52:28 PM

Systems to deliver digital content still resemble Dr. Frankenstein's monster. Still, trends are emerging and it's looking like the powers in Tellywood may not be the winners of this high stakes game.

More about : content

January 17, 2007 1:19:09 PM

Thank you for the article, the style was a refreshing change :) 

On page 3, I think you mean TB, not GB.
January 17, 2007 4:37:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the article, the style was a refreshing change :) 

On page 3, I think you mean TB, not GB.

Heh, I noticed the same thing. I would hope he meant TB anyway. Imagine trying to use a 1 or 2 GB drive for media file storage... OUCH!
Related resources
January 18, 2007 1:58:30 PM

I agree with your article.
The future is a a system where you can watch your chosen content anywhere, anytime and most important: ad free.
HD streaming in all your rooms: yummie.

All hail mighty muslix64.
January 19, 2007 10:11:02 AM

Quote:
The future is a a system where you can watch your chosen content anywhere, anytime and most important: ad free.

And, um, how is that compatible with the media companies' drive for a future where you have to pay every single time you 'watch your chosen content', are forced to watch their ads before, after and during the content, and have to pay again to move that content to a different device?

This future and the media companies' DRM Utopia are utterly incompatible. So, of course, will be the different devices with their different DRM schemes and different DRM bugs ('Why won't this movie play on my TV?' 'Sorry, your TV is version 1.6, and the right to play protected content on that model was revoked due to a firmware bug which might allow EVIL PEOPLE to steal content. Buy a new TV or do a firmware upgrade.').
January 19, 2007 1:24:47 PM

Quote:

And, um, how is that compatible with the media companies' drive for a future where you have to pay every single time you 'watch your chosen content', are forced to watch their ads before, after and during the content, and have to pay again to move that content to a different device?

This future and the media companies' DRM Utopia are utterly incompatible. So, of course, will be the different devices with their different DRM schemes and different DRM bugs ('Why won't this movie play on my TV?' 'Sorry, your TV is version 1.6, and the right to play protected content on that model was revoked due to a firmware bug which might allow EVIL PEOPLE to steal content. Buy a new TV or do a firmware upgrade.').

Yeah, that is the way it is, but there are a lot of people who just rip their own DVDs and do (or want to do) what is listed in this article. It all depends on how long the majority will put up with this DRM malarkey and when they will refuse to purchase DRM protected media.
Related resources
!