how to rename/change Administrator name?

When i bought my computer it has the default name Administrator.

I can't rename Administrator to something else, i went to control panel,
user accounts selected Administrator (computer administrator)
and I message: what do you want to change about your account, i see this
option: Change my password, change picture, set up my account to use a .NET
Passport below those option i see this message: (The administrator account is
only visible on the Welcome screen when no other user accounts exist
(except the guest account) or when you start your computer in safe MOde).
how come there's no option to change name, but when i select a account with a
limited account i can change the name. How do i rename Administrator to
something else?

How many Administrator account I suppose to have 1 or 2? right know all i
have is administrator (computer administrator) and Lake (limited Account).
can anyone around here help me. thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about rename change administrator name

    Create another account and give it Administrator privileges - then use it,
    and not the Administrator account. You should save the Administrator account
    for those rare times when you need to log in and fix something that you can't
    fix otherwise. Also, make sure that the Administrator accounts password
    isn't easily found out - it's one of the one's that the hackers always look
    for.

    "typeLL" wrote:

    > When i bought my computer it has the default name Administrator.
    >
    > I can't rename Administrator to something else, i went to control panel,
    > user accounts selected Administrator (computer administrator)
    > and I message: what do you want to change about your account, i see this
    > option: Change my password, change picture, set up my account to use a .NET
    > Passport below those option i see this message: (The administrator account is
    > only visible on the Welcome screen when no other user accounts exist
    > (except the guest account) or when you start your computer in safe MOde).
    > how come there's no option to change name, but when i select a account with a
    > limited account i can change the name. How do i rename Administrator to
    > something else?
    >
    > How many Administrator account I suppose to have 1 or 2? right know all i
    > have is administrator (computer administrator) and Lake (limited Account).
    > can anyone around here help me. thanks

    Hi

    Please see the following link to Doug Knox's web site:

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When i bought my computer it has the default name Administrator.
    >
    > I can't rename Administrator to something else, i went to control panel,
    > user accounts selected Administrator (computer administrator)
    > and I message: what do you want to change about your account, i see this
    > option: Change my password, change picture, set up my account to use a
    > .NET
    > Passport below those option i see this message: (The administrator account
    > is
    > only visible on the Welcome screen when no other user accounts exist
    > (except the guest account) or when you start your computer in safe MOde).
    > how come there's no option to change name, but when i select a account
    > with a
    > limited account i can change the name. How do i rename Administrator to
    > something else?
    >
    > How many Administrator account I suppose to have 1 or 2? right know all i
    > have is administrator (computer administrator) and Lake (limited Account).
    > can anyone around here help me. thanks

    This won't help. He is speaking of the built in admin account.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > Hi
    >
    > Please see the following link to Doug Knox's web site:
    >
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> When i bought my computer it has the default name Administrator.
    >>
    >> I can't rename Administrator to something else, i went to control panel,
    >> user accounts selected Administrator (computer administrator)
    >> and I message: what do you want to change about your account, i see this
    >> option: Change my password, change picture, set up my account to use a
    >> .NET
    >> Passport below those option i see this message: (The administrator
    >> account is
    >> only visible on the Welcome screen when no other user accounts exist
    >> (except the guest account) or when you start your computer in safe MOde).
    >> how come there's no option to change name, but when i select a account
    >> with a
    >> limited account i can change the name. How do i rename Administrator to
    >> something else?
    >>
    >> How many Administrator account I suppose to have 1 or 2? right know all i
    >> have is administrator (computer administrator) and Lake (limited
    >> Account).
    >> can anyone around here help me. thanks

    So the first user account that I created will be a computer administrator
    account and then the default administrator account will be hidden, so it
    means that i have 2 user account with administrative privelege, one is hidden
    and second is the one that i've created.

    So do I have to put a password on the hidden administrator account? after
    creating a second administrator account where do i install the application
    and window updates? the hidden one or the second one. so it's normal that the
    default administrator name will be hidden once i create a account with
    administrator
    privelege.

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > This won't help. He is speaking of the built in admin account.
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Please see the following link to Doug Knox's web site:
    > >
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_change_owner.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Will Denny
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the News Groups
    > >

    > > "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> When i bought my computer it has the default name Administrator.
    > >>
    > >> I can't rename Administrator to something else, i went to control panel,
    > >> user accounts selected Administrator (computer administrator)
    > >> and I message: what do you want to change about your account, i see this
    > >> option: Change my password, change picture, set up my account to use a
    > >> .NET
    > >> Passport below those option i see this message: (The administrator
    > >> account is
    > >> only visible on the Welcome screen when no other user accounts exist
    > >> (except the guest account) or when you start your computer in safe MOde).
    > >> how come there's no option to change name, but when i select a account
    > >> with a
    > >> limited account i can change the name. How do i rename Administrator to
    > >> something else?
    > >>
    > >> How many Administrator account I suppose to have 1 or 2? right know all i
    > >> have is administrator (computer administrator) and Lake (limited
    > >> Account).
    > >> can anyone around here help me. thanks

    When you add a new user with administrator right, you will find the
    "administrator" disappear in normal mode. Just add a user with administrator
    right and give the name you want.

    "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> дÈëÓʼþ
    > When i bought my computer it has the default name Administrator.
    >
    > I can't rename Administrator to something else, i went to control panel,
    > user accounts selected Administrator (computer administrator)
    > and I message: what do you want to change about your account, i see this
    > option: Change my password, change picture, set up my account to use a
    ..NET
    > Passport below those option i see this message: (The administrator account
    is
    > only visible on the Welcome screen when no other user accounts exist
    > (except the guest account) or when you start your computer in safe MOde).
    > how come there's no option to change name, but when i select a account
    with a
    > limited account i can change the name. How do i rename Administrator to
    > something else?
    >
    > How many Administrator account I suppose to have 1 or 2? right know all i
    > have is administrator (computer administrator) and Lake (limited Account).
    > can anyone around here help me. thanks

    Added tip once done:

    To gain access to the System default Admin account once hidden:

    On Pro Edition, from the Welcome Screen, press ctrl-Alt-Delete Twice. On
    Home, boot to Safe Mode, and logon.

    Tip:

    TweakUI/Logon/Show Administrator on the Welcome Screen

    Or...

    Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen (Line 5)

    Note:

    If you have disabled the built in administrator account, booting into
    Safe Mode will automatically enable it again (temporarily, for that
    Safe Mode session).

    Added note: If you want to logon to one of the other users, hold down shift
    as the system boots up.

    --

    "johnson zheng" <zjt@sohu.com> wrote in message
    > When you add a new user with administrator right, you will find the
    > "administrator" disappear in normal mode. Just add a user with
    > administrator
    > right and give the name you want.
    >
    > "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> дÈëÓʼþ
    >> When i bought my computer it has the default name Administrator.
    >>
    >> I can't rename Administrator to something else, i went to control panel,
    >> user accounts selected Administrator (computer administrator)
    >> and I message: what do you want to change about your account, i see this
    >> option: Change my password, change picture, set up my account to use a
    > .NET
    >> Passport below those option i see this message: (The administrator
    >> account
    > is
    >> only visible on the Welcome screen when no other user accounts exist
    >> (except the guest account) or when you start your computer in safe MOde).
    >> how come there's no option to change name, but when i select a account
    > with a
    >> limited account i can change the name. How do i rename Administrator to
    >> something else?
    >>
    >> How many Administrator account I suppose to have 1 or 2? right know all i
    >> have is administrator (computer administrator) and Lake (limited
    >> Account).
    >> can anyone around here help me. thanks

    xp pro/sp2

    so I'm suppose to have 2 administrator account, one is hidden and the second
    is the one that i create with administrator privelege. So do I have to put a
    password on the hidden administrator account? after creating a second
    administrator account where do i install the application and window updates?
    the hidden one or the second one? so it's normal that the default
    administrator name will be hidden once i create a account with administrator
    privelege.

    just wondering whats the purpose for the hidden administrator account?

    "johnson zheng" wrote:

    > When you add a new user with administrator right, you will find the
    > "administrator" disappear in normal mode. Just add a user with administrator
    > right and give the name you want.
    >
    > "typeLL" <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> �´ÈëÓʼþ
    > > When i bought my computer it has the default name Administrator.
    > >
    > > I can't rename Administrator to something else, i went to control panel,
    > > user accounts selected Administrator (computer administrator)
    > > and I message: what do you want to change about your account, i see this
    > > option: Change my password, change picture, set up my account to use a
    > ..NET
    > > Passport below those option i see this message: (The administrator account
    > is
    > > only visible on the Welcome screen when no other user accounts exist
    > > (except the guest account) or when you start your computer in safe MOde).
    > > how come there's no option to change name, but when i select a account
    > with a
    > > limited account i can change the name. How do i rename Administrator to
    > > something else?
    > >
    > > How many Administrator account I suppose to have 1 or 2? right know all i
    > > have is administrator (computer administrator) and Lake (limited Account).
    > > can anyone around here help me. thanks

    On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 23:16:02 -0700, typeLL
    <typeLL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >So the first user account that I created will be a computer administrator
    >account and then the default administrator account will be hidden, so it
    >means that i have 2 user account with administrative privelege, one is hidden
    >and second is the one that i've created.

    Yes. The default "administrator" account should not be used as your
    normal daily account. It should only be used when you need to get
    into your system when your default profile can not be accessed or if
    you are not running any admin accounts at all and need to do something
    that requires admin priviledges.

    >So do I have to put a password on the hidden administrator account? after
    >creating a second administrator account where do i install the application
    >and window updates? the hidden one or the second one. so it's normal that the
    >default administrator name will be hidden once i create a account with
    >administrator
    >privelege.

    Yes you defenitely need to put a password on the
    default"Administrator" account. Then whatever you do don't forget
    that password and also make yourself a password reset disk in case you
    do forget.

    Any account with admin status can install updates on the system.
    Think of accounts that have "admin" staus as being God accounts. They
    can do anything on the system.

    And yes it is normal for the default administrator account to get
    hidden when another account is created on the system. The new account
    does not even have to be an admin account.

    typeLL wrote:
    > So the first user account that I created will be a computer administrator
    > account and then the default administrator account will be hidden, so it
    > means that i have 2 user account with administrative privelege, one is hidden
    > and second is the one that i've created.
    >
    > So do I have to put a password on the hidden administrator account? after
    > creating a second administrator account where do i install the application
    > and window updates? the hidden one or the second one. so it's normal that the
    > default administrator name will be hidden once i create a account with
    > administrator
    > privelege.

    <snip>

    Use the second account for all activities including updates. Keep the
    built in "Administrator" account as a backup. Normally you won't need
    to access it. Yes it should have a strong password but make sure you
    can remember it.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    typeLL wrote:

    > xp pro/sp2
    >
    > so I'm suppose to have 2 administrator account, one is hidden and the second
    > is the one that i create with administrator privelege. So do I have to put a
    > password on the hidden administrator account? after creating a second
    > administrator account where do i install the application and window updates?
    > the hidden one or the second one? so it's normal that the default
    > administrator name will be hidden once i create a account with administrator
    > privelege.
    >
    > just wondering whats the purpose for the hidden administrator account?

    It's there as a fall back in case the working account get's corrupted or
    you loose the password for it.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    You can change the name of the Administrator account in XP Pro with Gpedit.msc:

    start > run > gpedit.msc
    Computer Config > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
  12. Please right click in my computer icon and select the tag 'manage'.Then a window will open, after you select the optin "local users and groups" and expand ,then select the users folder and open it.Now you can see the users in your local PC.just right click on any user and change the name and password set new password and other hints......

    OK Thanks SAIIFU FROM DELHI INDIA
  13. I had an ex Roomate take my Computer in to be rebuilt and more Memory added. Well, this Person was such a thieft he told the People to put him as the Administrator. I have so much I could Tell you about what this Person did to me, however this is irrelavent.

    I can not do anything and he is messing with my Computer . I have changed my Password, however I have to sign in under "Guest" >
    Can anyone help me get this back to the way it was . Where I was the Administrator ?

    Thanks a Million !

    Mr. Danial Patrick Teeling
  14. you can change the name of the administrator
    here is what you need to do

    go to control panel > administrative tool > computer management > under computer management
    select "local user and groups > double click "user folder" > double click the admnistrator > then type the name you want on the "full name: section"

    thats it

    Quote:

[...]

User Accounts Computers Windows XP