Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files

Joe

Resending this one as the original seems to have got lost

I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that I
now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove when
I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are still
increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought that maybe
they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now doubtful as I
cannot find the settings.

Any assistance please?

--

Regards
Joe

Resending this one as the original seems to have got lost

WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files
[[The WebClient/Publisher service maintains a cache of accessed
files on this disk. These files are kept locally for performance
reasons only and can be deleted safely.]]

If you are not using the WebClient for anything (like Publish this file or
folder to the web), stop the service.

Explains Publish this file or folder to the web...

How To Publish Pictures to the Internet in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291252

Publish this file or folder to the web
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_fcab_publish_to_web.mspx

WebClient service
[[Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify
Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not
be available. ]]

Open Services...
Start | Run | Type: services | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click WebClient |
Under Startup type, set to Disabled | Click the Apply button |
Click the Stop button | When the WebClient service stops, close Services.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23y8H7uPgFHA.3232@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Joe <jogor@bigpond.net.au> hunted and pecked:
> Resending this one as the original seems to have got lost
>

> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
>
> Any assistance please?
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Joe
> Tasmania

Joe

G'day Wesley, thank you for your reply.

Some further questions below.

--

Regards
Joe

> Resending this one as the original seems to have got lost
>
> WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files
> [[The WebClient/Publisher service maintains a cache of accessed
> files on this disk. These files are kept locally for performance
> reasons only and can be deleted safely.]]

As disk cleanup is not deleting these files and I cannot find where they are
stored, can you give me information where they can be deleted from please.

> If you are not using the WebClient for anything (like Publish this file or
> folder to the web), stop the service.

I maintain our Seniors Web Site and often upload pages but disk cleanup
always shows mine as 32 Kb, no more no less but always the same.

> Explains Publish this file or folder to the web...
>
> How To Publish Pictures to the Internet in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291252
>
> Publish this file or folder to the web
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_fcab_publish_to_web.mspx
>
> WebClient service
> [[Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify
> Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not
> be available. ]]

To the best of my knowledge he doesn't use a web site.

> Open Services...
> Start | Run | Type: services | Click OK |
> Scroll down to and double click WebClient |
> Under Startup type, set to Disabled | Click the Apply button |
> Click the Stop button | When the WebClient service stops, close Services.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.

I certainly will do that.

> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23y8H7uPgFHA.3232@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Joe <jogor@bigpond.net.au> hunted and pecked:
>> Resending this one as the original seems to have got lost
>>

>> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
>> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
>> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
>> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
>> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
>> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
>>
>> Any assistance please?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Joe
>> Tasmania

Hi Joe,

I am posting this before seeing a reply from Kelly.

I am *guessing* that WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files are somewhere in
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

I am *guessing* that the 32 KB you are seeing is an index.dat file.
index.dat files are Hidden System files.

See Kelly's post.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes