Spy Sweeper install blocked

July 4, 2005 11:22:45 PM

In my ME days, I purchased Spy Sweeper from a reputable dealer who gave me
the file "sspsetup1_1796742905.exe" and a key code to activate the
installation. I upgraded to XP Home SP2 and tried to run the above file to
reinstall the program. However, I now get a dialog box telling me that
"Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help protect your
computer, Windows has blocked access to this file." I have a LinksSys
wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have XP's firewall turned off,
and I have Panda Titanium 2005 A/V install but disabled for the moment to
see if Panda is the problem with this file. I tried to run the file but get
the same dialog. I know this file is OK since I got it going with ME and it
is from a responsible and trusted dealer. What am I missing?

Bart
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:26:55 AM

Hi Bart

I have in the past 3/4 months found Spy Sweeper has been causing problems.
No idea why, but I ditched it - suggest you do the same.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message

> In my ME days, I purchased Spy Sweeper from a reputable dealer who gave me
> the file "sspsetup1_1796742905.exe" and a key code to activate the
> installation. I upgraded to XP Home SP2 and tried to run the above file
> to reinstall the program. However, I now get a dialog box telling me that
> "Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help protect
> your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file." I have a
> LinksSys wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have XP's firewall
> turned off, and I have Panda Titanium 2005 A/V install but disabled for
> the moment to see if Panda is the problem with this file. I tried to run
> the file but get the same dialog. I know this file is OK since I got it
> going with ME and it is from a responsible and trusted dealer. What am I
> missing?
>
> Bart

July 5, 2005 6:26:56 AM

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 02:26:55 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
wrote:

>I have in the past 3/4 months found Spy Sweeper has been causing problems.

Could you elaborate on these "problems" please? I use SS and if there
is a problem, I would like to know.

Thanks,
Ed
Related resources
July 5, 2005 6:26:56 AM

I will consider your solution. Can you suggest a replacement? Have Panda
A/V, Ad-Aware SE installed now.

Bart

> Hi Bart
>
> I have in the past 3/4 months found Spy Sweeper has been causing problems.
> No idea why, but I ditched it - suggest you do the same.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> In my ME days, I purchased Spy Sweeper from a reputable dealer who gave
>> me the file "sspsetup1_1796742905.exe" and a key code to activate the
>> installation. I upgraded to XP Home SP2 and tried to run the above file
>> to reinstall the program. However, I now get a dialog box telling me
>> that "Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help
>> protect your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file." I have
>> a LinksSys wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have XP's firewall
>> turned off, and I have Panda Titanium 2005 A/V install but disabled for
>> the moment to see if Panda is the problem with this file. I tried to run
>> the file but get the same dialog. I know this file is OK since I got it
>> going with ME and it is from a responsible and trusted dealer. What am I
>> missing?
>>
>> Bart

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:25:56 AM

Hi Ed

Numerous problems - SS:

Doesn't find all the spyware that it purports to finds.
Freezes at random places during the scan.
Updates are far and few between and then hardly ever complete.

I can't work like that.

--

"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 02:26:55 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>I have in the past 3/4 months found Spy Sweeper has been causing problems.
>
> Could you elaborate on these "problems" please? I use SS and if there
> is a problem, I would like to know.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:29:19 AM

Hi

There are several other spyware programs that you can try:

Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

and of course the MS anti-spyware program as well:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...

I know it says it's Beta, but it's OK to install and use.

Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html

Also see the following links:

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm

--

> I will consider your solution. Can you suggest a replacement? Have Panda
> A/V, Ad-Aware SE installed now.
>
> Bart
>>
>> Hi Bart
>>
>> I have in the past 3/4 months found Spy Sweeper has been causing
>> problems. No idea why, but I ditched it - suggest you do the same.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> In my ME days, I purchased Spy Sweeper from a reputable dealer who gave
>>> me the file "sspsetup1_1796742905.exe" and a key code to activate the
>>> installation. I upgraded to XP Home SP2 and tried to run the above file
>>> to reinstall the program. However, I now get a dialog box telling me
>>> that "Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help
>>> protect your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file." I have
>>> a LinksSys wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have XP's
>>> firewall turned off, and I have Panda Titanium 2005 A/V install but
>>> disabled for the moment to see if Panda is the problem with this file.
>>> I tried to run the file but get the same dialog. I know this file is OK
>>> since I got it going with ME and it is from a responsible and trusted
>>> dealer. What am I missing?
>>>
>>> Bart

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:06:36 AM

Right click on the file, click properties, click unblock.

"Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message

> In my ME days, I purchased Spy Sweeper from a reputable dealer who gave me
> the file "sspsetup1_1796742905.exe" and a key code to activate the
> installation. I upgraded to XP Home SP2 and tried to run the above file
> to reinstall the program. However, I now get a dialog box telling me that
> "Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help protect
> your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file." I have a
> LinksSys wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have XP's firewall
> turned off, and I have Panda Titanium 2005 A/V install but disabled for
> the moment to see if Panda is the problem with this file. I tried to run
> the file but get the same dialog. I know this file is OK since I got it
> going with ME and it is from a responsible and trusted dealer. What am I
> missing?
>
> Bart

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:28:20 PM

"Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message

> In my ME days, I purchased Spy Sweeper from a reputable dealer who gave me
> the file "sspsetup1_1796742905.exe" and a key code to activate the
> installation. I upgraded to XP Home SP2 and tried to run the above file
> to reinstall the program. However, I now get a dialog box telling me that
> "Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help protect
> your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file." I have a
> LinksSys wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have XP's firewall
> turned off, and I have Panda Titanium 2005 A/V install but disabled for
> the moment to see if Panda is the problem with this file. I tried to run
> the file but get the same dialog. I know this file is OK since I got it
> going with ME and it is from a responsible and trusted dealer. What am I
> missing?
>
> Bart

If the file was on a floppy or it was copied to your hard drive and copied
back to some removable media, it's possible that the file got infected or
corrupted. Just because it was originally good doesn't mean that it's going
to stay that way forever.

Also, there are probably newer versions of the software, so you might want
to check with webroot and see if your key will work with a current version.

There's a chance that the version you have is just too old or incompatible
with XP.
!