Spy Sweeper install blocked

In my ME days, I purchased Spy Sweeper from a reputable dealer who gave me
the file "sspsetup1_1796742905.exe" and a key code to activate the
installation. I upgraded to XP Home SP2 and tried to run the above file to
reinstall the program. However, I now get a dialog box telling me that
"Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help protect your
computer, Windows has blocked access to this file." I have a LinksSys
wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have XP's firewall turned off,
and I have Panda Titanium 2005 A/V install but disabled for the moment to
see if Panda is the problem with this file. I tried to run the file but get
the same dialog. I know this file is OK since I got it going with ME and it
is from a responsible and trusted dealer. What am I missing?

Bart
7 answers Last reply
More about sweeper install blocked

    Hi Bart

    I have in the past 3/4 months found Spy Sweeper has been causing problems.
    No idea why, but I ditched it - suggest you do the same.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 02:26:55 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >I have in the past 3/4 months found Spy Sweeper has been causing problems.

    Could you elaborate on these "problems" please? I use SS and if there
    is a problem, I would like to know.

    Thanks,
    Ed

    I will consider your solution. Can you suggest a replacement? Have Panda
    A/V, Ad-Aware SE installed now.

    Bart

    > Hi Bart
    >
    > I have in the past 3/4 months found Spy Sweeper has been causing problems.
    > No idea why, but I ditched it - suggest you do the same.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> In my ME days, I purchased Spy Sweeper from a reputable dealer who gave
    >> me the file "sspsetup1_1796742905.exe" and a key code to activate the
    >> installation. I upgraded to XP Home SP2 and tried to run the above file
    >> to reinstall the program. However, I now get a dialog box telling me
    >> that "Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help
    >> protect your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file." I have
    >> a LinksSys wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have XP's firewall
    >> turned off, and I have Panda Titanium 2005 A/V install but disabled for
    >> the moment to see if Panda is the problem with this file. I tried to run
    >> the file but get the same dialog. I know this file is OK since I got it
    >> going with ME and it is from a responsible and trusted dealer. What am I
    >> missing?
    >>
    >> Bart

    Hi Ed

    Numerous problems - SS:

    Doesn't find all the spyware that it purports to finds.
    Freezes at random places during the scan.
    Updates are far and few between and then hardly ever complete.

    I can't work like that.

    --

    "Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 02:26:55 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have in the past 3/4 months found Spy Sweeper has been causing problems.
    >
    > Could you elaborate on these "problems" please? I use SS and if there
    > is a problem, I would like to know.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ed

    Hi

    There are several other spyware programs that you can try:

    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
    CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
    Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

    and of course the MS anti-spyware program as well:

    I know it says it's Beta, but it's OK to install and use.

    Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html

    Also see the following links:

    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm

    --

    > I will consider your solution. Can you suggest a replacement? Have Panda
    > A/V, Ad-Aware SE installed now.
    >
    > Bart
    >>
    >> Hi Bart
    >>
    >> I have in the past 3/4 months found Spy Sweeper has been causing
    >> problems. No idea why, but I ditched it - suggest you do the same.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> In my ME days, I purchased Spy Sweeper from a reputable dealer who gave
    >>> me the file "sspsetup1_1796742905.exe" and a key code to activate the
    >>> installation. I upgraded to XP Home SP2 and tried to run the above file
    >>> to reinstall the program. However, I now get a dialog box telling me
    >>> that "Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help
    >>> protect your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file." I have
    >>> a LinksSys wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have XP's
    >>> firewall turned off, and I have Panda Titanium 2005 A/V install but
    >>> disabled for the moment to see if Panda is the problem with this file.
    >>> I tried to run the file but get the same dialog. I know this file is OK
    >>> since I got it going with ME and it is from a responsible and trusted
    >>> dealer. What am I missing?
    >>>
    >>> Bart

    Right click on the file, click properties, click unblock.

    "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message

    > In my ME days, I purchased Spy Sweeper from a reputable dealer who gave me
    > the file "sspsetup1_1796742905.exe" and a key code to activate the
    > installation. I upgraded to XP Home SP2 and tried to run the above file
    > to reinstall the program. However, I now get a dialog box telling me that
    > "Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help protect
    > your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file." I have a
    > LinksSys wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have XP's firewall
    > turned off, and I have Panda Titanium 2005 A/V install but disabled for
    > the moment to see if Panda is the problem with this file. I tried to run
    > the file but get the same dialog. I know this file is OK since I got it
    > going with ME and it is from a responsible and trusted dealer. What am I
    > missing?
    >
    > Bart

    "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message

    > In my ME days, I purchased Spy Sweeper from a reputable dealer who gave me
    > the file "sspsetup1_1796742905.exe" and a key code to activate the
    > installation. I upgraded to XP Home SP2 and tried to run the above file
    > to reinstall the program. However, I now get a dialog box telling me that
    > "Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help protect
    > your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file." I have a
    > LinksSys wireless router with a hardware firewall, I have XP's firewall
    > turned off, and I have Panda Titanium 2005 A/V install but disabled for
    > the moment to see if Panda is the problem with this file. I tried to run
    > the file but get the same dialog. I know this file is OK since I got it
    > going with ME and it is from a responsible and trusted dealer. What am I
    > missing?
    >
    > Bart

    If the file was on a floppy or it was copied to your hard drive and copied
    back to some removable media, it's possible that the file got infected or
    corrupted. Just because it was originally good doesn't mean that it's going
    to stay that way forever.

    Also, there are probably newer versions of the software, so you might want
    to check with webroot and see if your key will work with a current version.

    There's a chance that the version you have is just too old or incompatible
    with XP.

Windows XP