MN-700 as access point

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here may be able to help me with
question. I am trying to setup something like the
following (please excuse the poor ascii art :)

Cable modem

Wireless AP + router #1

| <
Hard-wired <
Computers >
<

<
Wireless AP #2 (MN-700 connected via wireless)

Hard wired devices (non-wireless enabled)

| = hard wired

< = wireless connection

AP #1 is next to the cable modem and in close proximity
is close to it's hard-wired devices
AP #2 is at the other end of my house

Unfortunately, the device that I'm trying to connect to
the network from AP#2 doesn't have a USB port, only an
Ethernet port, meaning I need to use AP #2 as a bridge -
running cable between the AP #1 and AP #2 is exactly the
scenario I'm trying to avoid.

Does anyone know if this is possible to achieve?

Cheers,
Brenton
3 answers Last reply
More about access point

    The MS MN700/500's cannot be used as wireless repeaters/extenders. You
    would need to hardwire it to router #1. I know you are looking to
    avoid this, but there really is no way to do this.

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 00:25:36 -0700, "Brenton"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Get a MN-740 & configure it on an XBOX. That will convert the wireless
    to twisted pair.

    Brenton wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm wondering if anyone here may be able to help me with
    > question. I am trying to setup something like the
    > following (please excuse the poor ascii art :)
    >

    > Cable modem
    > |

    > Wireless AP + router #1
    > | >
    > | <
    > Hard-wired <
    > Computers >
    > <
    > >
    > <
    > Wireless AP #2 (MN-700 connected via wireless)
    > |

    > Hard wired devices (non-wireless enabled)
    >

    > | = hard wired
    >

    > < = wireless connection
    >
    > AP #1 is next to the cable modem and in close proximity
    > is close to it's hard-wired devices
    > AP #2 is at the other end of my house
    >
    > Unfortunately, the device that I'm trying to connect to
    > the network from AP#2 doesn't have a USB port, only an
    > Ethernet port, meaning I need to use AP #2 as a bridge -
    > running cable between the AP #1 and AP #2 is exactly the
    > scenario I'm trying to avoid.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this is possible to achieve?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Brenton

    The Xbox adapter will do fine, but requires an XBox for
    configuration.

    If you don't have an XBox, get the cheaper Linksys PS2
    wireless adapter that can be configured on a PC, and
    connect it to the 2nd AP. This will create the wireless AP
    to LinksysPS2+AP connection.

Routers Wireless Cable Networking