dvonfman

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I am wondering which is better a dual monitor setup of a widescreen display? I will be doing desktop publishing work (photoshop etc.), No gaming, Some audio recording, and maybe video production. Currently have Geforce fx 5500. Do I need any thing else for dual monitors. I'm pretty new to the whole concept. Any advice on the issue would be most helpful. Thanks guys!

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I am wondering which is better a dual monitor setup of a widescreen display? I will be doing desktop publishing work (photoshop etc.), No gaming, Some audio recording, and maybe video production. Currently have Geforce fx 5500. Do I need any thing else for dual monitors. I'm pretty new to the whole concept. Any advice on the issue would be most helpful. Thanks guys!

I'm a long time user of multi-monitor.... (financial markets).

You could have 2 x 19" = 2560 x 1024. (Dual widescreen could be 3100 x 1080, or more.) You could configure for certain apps to use only one or part of one monitor, while other apps (spreadsheet?) use both as a single desktop.

All you need for dual/multi monitor is enough ports to plug them in... dualhead video card, or a combination of dual/single heads.

sink

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
I'm guessing since you only have a Geforce fx 5500 your pc is not too powerful, therefore I would not recommend running two process intensive apps like Photoshop and premier at once. This limits the usefulness of two monitors and a single widescreen monitor would be better for a single large window.

dvonfman

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Thanks to all for the info. Currently, I'm running an Athlon 64 3000+ and using 512 MB dual channel ddr. I have used Photoshop, GoLive and other programs (web browser, winamp, etc.) simultaneously without it being painfully slow. My video card has both vga and dvi ports. Can I use one for each display?