Transfer Wizard not recognizing USMT2.UNC file!

I have used the File and Settings Transfer wizard several times with no
problem. Today, I used the wizard to collect my settings and store the file
on a second hard drive I have. After formatting my main drive and installing
XP Pro, I went to restore the settings using the Transfer Wizard, I located
the folder, but when I went to process it, the error message came up: "The
location you specified does not contain stored information. Please enter a
valid folder path into the edit box." Well, I did enter the valid folder.
Why isn't it reading it?
3 answers Last reply
More about transfer wizard recognizing usmt2 file

    1. After you have installed XP and your programs, open the
    Files & Settings Transfer Wizard and select "New Computer".
    2. Select "I don't need the Wizard Disk......"
    3. Browse to your CD Drive and insert the CD containing the
    "USMT2.UNC" file.
    4. Your Files and Settings will begin installing on the new drive.

    Note:

    The .DAT file within the USMT2.UNC folder should be named IMG00001.DAT
    There should also be a file named "status". If you have these two files within
    the USMT2.UNC folder, you should only browse to the "USMT2.UNC" folder
    when using the wizard.

    ==> Make sure your IMG00001 file is properly named: IMG00001.DAT

    You need to browse to the location of the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Do not browse
    to or select the IMG00001.DAT file, only the USMT2.UNC folder itself.

    For example, my location is: C:\Old Computer Files\Transfers\USMT2.UNC

    HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp

    List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Dealing with corrupt Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T) image
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Norman" wrote:

    | I have used the File and Settings Transfer wizard several times with no
    | problem. Today, I used the wizard to collect my settings and store the file
    | on a second hard drive I have. After formatting my main drive and installing
    | XP Pro, I went to restore the settings using the Transfer Wizard, I located
    | the folder, but when I went to process it, the error message came up: "The
    | location you specified does not contain stored information. Please enter a
    | valid folder path into the edit box." Well, I did enter the valid folder.
    | Why isn't it reading it?

    That is exactly what I've done, except for the fact that the folder/file is
    on a second hard drive in my computer instead of a CD drive. But I've done
    it this way before with no problem. For some reason, the transfer wizard is
    not finding the file in the folder, yet when I browse the folder, it is there!

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > 1. After you have installed XP and your programs, open the
    > Files & Settings Transfer Wizard and select "New Computer".
    > 2. Select "I don't need the Wizard Disk......"
    > 3. Browse to your CD Drive and insert the CD containing the
    > "USMT2.UNC" file.
    > 4. Your Files and Settings will begin installing on the new drive.
    >
    > Note:
    >
    > The .DAT file within the USMT2.UNC folder should be named IMG00001.DAT
    > There should also be a file named "status". If you have these two files within
    > the USMT2.UNC folder, you should only browse to the "USMT2.UNC" folder
    > when using the wizard.
    >
    > ==> Make sure your IMG00001 file is properly named: IMG00001.DAT
    >
    > You need to browse to the location of the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Do not browse
    > to or select the IMG00001.DAT file, only the USMT2.UNC folder itself.
    >
    > For example, my location is: C:\Old Computer Files\Transfers\USMT2.UNC
    >

    > HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp
    >
    > List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    > the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903
    >
    > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    > Dealing with corrupt Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T) image
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Norman" wrote:
    >
    > | I have used the File and Settings Transfer wizard several times with no
    > | problem. Today, I used the wizard to collect my settings and store the file
    > | on a second hard drive I have. After formatting my main drive and installing
    > | XP Pro, I went to restore the settings using the Transfer Wizard, I located
    > | the folder, but when I went to process it, the error message came up: "The
    > | location you specified does not contain stored information. Please enter a
    > | valid folder path into the edit box." Well, I did enter the valid folder.
    > | Why isn't it reading it?

    Hi Norman,
    I ran into the same problem a while back. The probelm is that you are using
    and used two different versions of the FST Wizard. I assume when you
    reformatted the new drive and loaded XP you did all the latest Windows
    updates? If so see if you installed KB896344. This is an upgrade of the FSTW
    and if you used an older version to export your settings you must use the
    same version to import them. You have two choices here. Either upgrade the
    old computer with the KB896344 and rerun the FTSW or downgrade the newer one
    and remove KB896344.

    "Norman" <Norman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have used the File and Settings Transfer wizard several times with no
    > problem. Today, I used the wizard to collect my settings and store the
    > file
    > on a second hard drive I have. After formatting my main drive and
    > installing
    > XP Pro, I went to restore the settings using the Transfer Wizard, I
    > located
    > the folder, but when I went to process it, the error message came up: "The
    > location you specified does not contain stored information. Please enter a
    > valid folder path into the edit box." Well, I did enter the valid folder.
    > Why isn't it reading it?

Windows XP