missing System 32 files

Upon turning on the computer, we have been getting two different messages,
not both at the same time.

The first one was "can not find file ///c:/WINDOWS/System32/1KJddh8s.htm/"
and the most recent "can not find file ///c:/WINDOWS/System32/4csuhtu0.html"
What do these files do? How do we fix this?
2 answers Last reply
More about missing system files

    Your PC is probably now infected with viruses/spyware/malware.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

    Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "sp" wrote:

    | Upon turning on the computer, we have been getting two different messages,
    | not both at the same time.
    |
    | The first one was "can not find file ///c:/WINDOWS/System32/1KJddh8s.htm/"
    | and the most recent "can not find file ///c:/WINDOWS/System32/4csuhtu0.html"
    | What do these files do? How do we fix this?

    Sounds as though you tried to clean your machine but didn't fully finish.

    Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

    Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

    Free Online Virus Scan

    Good luck and keep us posted!

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "sp" <sp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Upon turning on the computer, we have been getting two different messages,
    > not both at the same time.
    >
    > The first one was "can not find file ///c:/WINDOWS/System32/1KJddh8s.htm/"
    > and the most recent "can not find file
    > ///c:/WINDOWS/System32/4csuhtu0.html"
    > What do these files do? How do we fix this?

Computers System32 Microsoft Windows XP