missing System 32 files

July 5, 2005 1:06:01 AM

Upon turning on the computer, we have been getting two different messages,
not both at the same time.

The first one was "can not find file ///c:/WINDOWS/System32/1KJddh8s.htm/"
and the most recent "can not find file ///c:/WINDOWS/System32/4csuhtu0.html"
What do these files do? How do we fix this?

More about : missing system files

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:16:50 AM

Your PC is probably now infected with viruses/spyware/malware.

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivi...

Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"sp" wrote:

| Upon turning on the computer, we have been getting two different messages,
| not both at the same time.
|
| The first one was "can not find file ///c:/WINDOWS/System32/1KJddh8s.htm/"
| and the most recent "can not find file ///c:/WINDOWS/System32/4csuhtu0.html"
| What do these files do? How do we fix this?
July 5, 2005 3:19:47 AM

Sounds as though you tried to clean your machine but didn't fully finish.

Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

Free Online Virus Scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...

Good luck and keep us posted!

--