Remote assistance problems...

I'm trying to help my mother-in-law out via remote assistance, but aren't
able to connect.
She's running XP Home behind a dsl modem & I'm running XP Pro.
When her invitation arrives, I save it to the desktop, open with notepad &
change the NAT address to the address her modem is being assigned. When I
try to connect, I still get the message, "Remote Assistance connection could
not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved.
Please try again."
What else can I try?
2 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance problems

    First the other computer's wan ip should be public. Meaning available when
    DNS is queried. Meaning able to ping.

    Instead, tell her to disable Windows XP firewall, or any other installed.
    Connect to MSN messenger and then submit a remote assistance invitation.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/rafaq-general.mspx

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprmass.htm

    --
    JonyBrv

    "Jonybrv" <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > First the other computer's wan ip should be public. Meaning available when
    > DNS is queried. Meaning able to ping.

    I can ping it...

    > Instead, tell her to disable Windows XP firewall, or any other installed.
    > Connect to MSN messenger and then submit a remote assistance invitation.

    I thought the Windows firewall automatically opened the port when the
    request was made?

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/rafaq-general.mspx
    >
    > http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprmass.htm
    >
    > --
    > JonyBrv
    >

    > "Mike" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to help my mother-in-law out via remote assistance, but aren't
    >> able to connect.
    >> She's running XP Home behind a dsl modem & I'm running XP Pro.
    >> When her invitation arrives, I save it to the desktop, open with notepad
    >> &
    >> change the NAT address to the address her modem is being assigned. When I
    >> try to connect, I still get the message, "Remote Assistance connection
    >> could
    >> not be established because the remote host name could not be resolved.
    >> Please try again."
    >> What else can I try?

Connection Windows XP