Depreciate that software at the Retail Level! The Lifecycl..

You would think the retail price of M$ software would be reduced 10% of the
original retail price every 6 months!!!
Why? Because of the Lifecycle situation! The software is only covered for
consumers for 5 years! So the software should be free the day after it isn't
Mainstream anymore!!!

So, if Windows XP Pro is $300 on the day it was released at the store, it should
go down $30 in price every 6 months afterward.
If Office 2003 is $550 retail, it should go down $55 every 6 months after the
initial release. Why buy Windows XP Home or Office 2003 software for full price
today if support is going to go kaput in 1.5 years?

Well, back to Hank Hill and his gluteorthotic fake hiney problem. He apparently
has no ass left from aging.

Does other software depreciate as you suggest?
If so I do not see it.
Make the suggestion to Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?WS=Wish

Otherwise as other products on the market, let the buyers decide.
If enough buyers would wait, the price would probably come down.

Upgrading is not always necessary and new computers normally come with the
latest products.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:GCoye.300$e%5.238@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> You would think the retail price of M$ software would be reduced 10% of
> the
> original retail price every 6 months!!!
> Why? Because of the Lifecycle situation! The software is only covered for
> consumers for 5 years! So the software should be free the day after it
> isn't
> Mainstream anymore!!!
>
> So, if Windows XP Pro is $300 on the day it was released at the store, it
> should
> go down $30 in price every 6 months afterward.
> If Office 2003 is $550 retail, it should go down $55 every 6 months after
> the
> initial release. Why buy Windows XP Home or Office 2003 software for full
> price
> today if support is going to go kaput in 1.5 years?
>

> Well, back to Hank Hill and his gluteorthotic fake hiney problem. He
> apparently
> has no ass left from aging.

I meant to say Office XP expires in 1.5 years.

"Stupiter Stones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
| Does other software depreciate as you suggest?
Yes it does.

| If so I do not see it.
That's cause you're looking through your butt.

| Make the suggestion to Microsoft:
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
| http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?WS=Wish
Even God has been known to reply to humans.

| Otherwise as other products on the market, let the buyers decide.
| If enough buyers would wait, the price would probably come down.
Stupider on Market Analysis.

| Upgrading is not always necessary and new computers normally come with the
| latest products.
Once again Stupider bends the topic.

| --
| Stupiter Stones [MVP]
| http://www.farts.com
|
| "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
| message news:GCoye.300$e%5.238@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
| > You would think the retail price of M$ software would be reduced 10% of
| > the
| > original retail price every 6 months!!!
| > Why? Because of the Lifecycle situation! The software is only covered
for
| > consumers for 5 years! So the software should be free the day after it
| > isn't
| > Mainstream anymore!!!
| >
| > So, if Windows XP Pro is $300 on the day it was released at the store,
it
| > should
| > go down $30 in price every 6 months afterward.
| > If Office 2003 is $550 retail, it should go down $55 every 6 months
after
| > the
| > initial release. Why buy Windows XP Home or Office 2003 software for
full
| > price
| > today if support is going to go kaput in 1.5 years?
| >

| > Well, back to Hank Hill and his gluteorthotic fake hiney problem. He
| > apparently
| > has no ass left from aging.

Once again you have nothing to contribute as evidenced by your post with
nothing but insults..
If you have an answer for the OP, you should give the answer.
If however you are incapable of answering with nothing more than insults, it
would be better for you to remain silent and conceal your ignorance.

--

"Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message

> "Stupiter Stones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> | Does other software depreciate as you suggest?
> Yes it does.
>
> | If so I do not see it.
> That's cause you're looking through your butt.
>
> | Make the suggestion to Microsoft:
> | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
> | http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?WS=Wish
> Even God has been known to reply to humans.
>
> | Otherwise as other products on the market, let the buyers decide.
> | If enough buyers would wait, the price would probably come down.
> Stupider on Market Analysis.
>
> | Upgrading is not always necessary and new computers normally come with
> the
> | latest products.
> Once again Stupider bends the topic.

On no, once again Stupider you've contributed nothing other than you
misguided information. Other software has depreciated and become cheaper
when a newer version has been released, yes it happens if you haven't seen
it, cause you do look through your butt and talk through it. That's what you
must do to conceal your ignorance and immense stupidity, hence your name.

I'm doing you a favour since the only way you'll get credence of any kind is
to be attacked.

-Winux P

"Stupider Stones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> Once again you have nothing to contribute as evidenced by your post with
> nothing but insults..
> If you have an answer for the OP, you should give the answer.
> If however you are incapable of answering with nothing more than insults,
> it would be better for you to remain silent and conceal your ignorance.
>
> --
> Stupider Stones [MVP]
> http://www.farts.com
> "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message
>>
>> "Stupiter Stones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> | Does other software depreciate as you suggest?
>> Yes it does.
>>
>> | If so I do not see it.
>> That's cause you're looking through your butt.
>>
>> | Make the suggestion to Microsoft:
>> | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=114491
>> | http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?WS=Wish
>> Even God has been known to reply to humans.
>>
>> | Otherwise as other products on the market, let the buyers decide.
>> | If enough buyers would wait, the price would probably come down.
>> Stupider on Market Analysis.
>>
>> | Upgrading is not always necessary and new computers normally come with
>> the
>> | latest products.
>> Once again Stupider bends the topic.

And you have contributed less.
Your comments as well as lack of examples are noted.
There may be some, but there are also a great many in and out of Microsoft
that do not lower the price as you would like.
Since you are incapable of anything other than attacks, good bye.

--

> On no, once again Stupider you've contributed nothing other than you
> misguided information. Other software has depreciated and become cheaper
> when a newer version has been released, yes it happens if you haven't seen
> it, cause you do look through your butt and talk through it. That's what
> you must do to conceal your ignorance and immense stupidity, hence your
> name.
>
> I'm doing you a favour since the only way you'll get credence of any kind
> is to be attacked.
>
> -Winux P

Not sure where this started but...

Software does go on sale when newer versions come out, usually because
someone has old stock that they want to get rid of before no one will buy
it. Sometimes the stores will discount on their own, sometimes distributors
will have closeouts so the stores will buy the old stock.

In these cases, there isn't new product manufactured at a lower price. The
discounts are for whatever old stock is hanging around, for as long as it
lasts. And somebody is taking a loss by selling it cheaper, whether it's the
retail outlet or the distributor. So those deals don't last long.

Which is much different from hardware, where the old stuff is kept in
manufacturing and sold at a lower price, while the newest products are
expensive. In those cases, the manufacturers lower their prices on the older
models that they're still making, so the stores & distributors are still
making their profit.

FWIW, I've never seen MS discount any of their OS software. I remember
trying to buy win3.1 for a customer when win98 was the hot product. From
official distributors, the only thing I could get were the oem multipacks
(which meant I had to buy a minimum of either 3 or 5) and there was no
discount -- the price was the same as when 3.1 was current product. A better
deal could be had from 3rd-party vendors who had the software in inventory
and were willing to sell at a loss, just to get it off their shelves. And
even that wasn't a great deal.

And for whatever reason, MS cuts off the retail channel first, while the OEM
products are still available. I sold a lot of Win98 when Millennium was all
that was available in retail. If 98 was still available, it would probably
still be selling, if it was at a good price. Heck, if Win1.0 was still for
sale, some people would buy it, just for nostalgia's sake.

Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
> You would think the retail price of M$ software would be reduced 10% of the
> original retail price every 6 months!!!
> Why? Because of the Lifecycle situation! The software is only covered for
> consumers for 5 years! So the software should be free the day after it isn't
> Mainstream anymore!!!

Considering that computer hardware goes obsolete (or is at least
replaced by the next generation of faster, more powerful components)
every 18 to 24 months, I'd say having software that remains in the
mainstream support cycle for 5 years is rather generous, actually.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

The warranty is only 90 days, the "life cycle" is immaterial. On the
other hand using your logic, car prices should be decreased 8% every
month because a new model is produced each year.

Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:

> You would think the retail price of M$ software would be reduced 10% of the
> original retail price every 6 months!!!
> Why? Because of the Lifecycle situation! The software is only covered for
> consumers for 5 years! So the software should be free the day after it isn't
> Mainstream anymore!!!
>
> So, if Windows XP Pro is $300 on the day it was released at the store, it should
> go down $30 in price every 6 months afterward.
> If Office 2003 is $550 retail, it should go down $55 every 6 months after the
> initial release. Why buy Windows XP Home or Office 2003 software for full price
> today if support is going to go kaput in 1.5 years?
>

> Well, back to Hank Hill and his gluteorthotic fake hiney problem. He apparently
> has no ass left from aging.

Many cars are sold with a 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty. Again, 10% every 6
months. But cars are repairable after 5 years, short of massive recalls maybe.
Operating Systems are designed, via Windows Update, to be not currently
comprehensively patchable after 5 years. This is ALL ABOUT Microsoft's Lifecycle
Policy, and has little to do with the User except for the time within the
lifecycle that the User purchased the OS and installed it. Call a lawyer, and
I'll go fetch my TV dinner from the microwave oven.