• Backup
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
September 4, 2012 7:35:04 AM

Ok
so liek the title says,
i want to do a clean install of windows 7

I currently have windows 7 32bit and i wanna upgrade to 64 bit.

Question 1) I only want to upgrade to 64 bit and not clean the entire hdd, so all i have to do is format my local C: drive where the current win 7 is installed right? or i have no choice except cleaning the entire 500 gb hdd,. Pls tell mee its not necessary to clean wipe coz i dont have any place to backup my entire hdd :|

Question 2) If only C: drive is to be formatted, how do i backup all my installed programs? Will System Backup store all my installed programs that i installed on 32 bit and restore it back on the 64 bit os? or do i have no choice and reinstall all of them? I ahve lots of codecs installed that i dont remember where i found on the internet.

Question 3) I have major softwares like Adobe CS4 master collection and Autodesk MAYA installed on D: Drive, so will they still work after i clean wipe the C: drive and install 64 bit instead of 32 bit or do i have to reinstall them too?

Please reply fast, i want to finish formatting today :) 

More about : clean install win 64bit backup

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 4, 2012 8:40:23 AM

System backups generally do not save your installed applications; you can do that by making an image of your OS, but since you are installing a different OS, an image will be useless.

You can backup any important files on your D drive and just format C with Windows on it, but all applications and drivers will need to be re-installed. 32bit drivers will not work on 64bit Windows anyway.

It's a major effort but the results are generally worth it.
September 4, 2012 8:44:01 AM

Herr_Koos said:
System backups generally do not save your installed applications; you can do that by making an image of your OS, but since you are installing a different OS, an image will be useless.

You can backup any important files on your D drive and just format C with Windows on it, but all applications and drivers will need to be re-installed. 32bit drivers will not work on 64bit Windows anyway.

It's a major effort but the results are generally worth it.

What about my third question? will the apps installed in d drive work after i format my c drive?

ALSO, DO I HAVE TO REINSTALL BIOS AFTER I FORMAT C DRIVE?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 4, 2012 8:57:33 AM

No, all reference to these installed apps will be lost when Windows is formatted.

You never have to do anything to BIOS when re-installing Windows.
m
l
September 4, 2012 9:03:12 AM

can your processer support a 64bit OS. Just you've never said its make/model so this whole topic could be pointless.
m
l
September 4, 2012 10:31:22 AM

Its an intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93 GHZ
INTEL DH55TC Desktopboard
4 gigs DDR3 ram
Zotac GTX 560
500 gigs hdd with 3 partitions
CX600 PSU
m
l
September 4, 2012 10:55:12 AM

Oh and i just wanted to make sure one last thing, It wont matter to other drives what version of OS is installed in c drive right?
like will there be problems with other partitions if i install a 64 bit from 32 bit?

First time self formatting so asking.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 4, 2012 11:15:38 AM

KidBuu said:
Oh and i just wanted to make sure one last thing, It wont matter to other drives what version of OS is installed in c drive right?
like will there be problems with other partitions if i install a 64 bit from 32 bit?

I don't understand the question. Please explain?
m
l
September 4, 2012 4:00:29 PM

Best answer selected by KidBuu.
m
l
September 4, 2012 4:02:59 PM

I wanted to ask whether there might be any kind of problems with other partitions coz i was installing a clean windows, but nvm, i already formatted pc and all is well now
Thanks for help Herr :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 4, 2012 8:54:16 PM

Cool, no problem.
m
l
!