steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

ater I have transfered/burned all the data files I want on
a cd-r.........just how do I finalize it? what I mean is how
do I make it readable on any machine?

thanks again,

Steve

If you're using Windows XP's built-in burning, the CD is finalized. If you're using a 3rd party program, such as Nero, then you'll need to check the help file for the specific program.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Steve" <speedo@whro.net> wrote in message news:389847BA-31A2-4212-9308-998B9589F92B@microsoft.com...
> ater I have transfered/burned all the data files I want on
> a cd-r.........just how do I finalize it? what I mean is how
> do I make it readable on any machine?
>
> thanks again,
>
> Steve

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

thanks Doug,

but if it is already finalized, then why can I add more too it?

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> If you're using Windows XP's built-in burning, the CD is finalized. If you're using a 3rd party program, such as Nero, then you'll need to check the help file for the specific program.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Steve" <speedo@whro.net> wrote in message news:389847BA-31A2-4212-9308-998B9589F92B@microsoft.com...
> > ater I have transfered/burned all the data files I want on
> > a cd-r.........just how do I finalize it? what I mean is how
> > do I make it readable on any machine?
> >
> > thanks again,
> >
> > Steve

Then I would say you're using 3rd party software such as InCD (Nero) or Direct CD (Roxio). Windows XP does not natively support packet writing to CD-RW media.

"Steve" <speedo@whro.net> wrote in message news:0EE5C5B6-5917-4EB8-B460-085A888CBB5B@microsoft.com...
> thanks Doug,
>
> but if it is already finalized, then why can I add more too it?
>

> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> If you're using Windows XP's built-in burning, the CD is finalized. If you're using a 3rd party program, such as Nero, then you'll need to check the help file for the specific program.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Steve" <speedo@whro.net> wrote in message news:389847BA-31A2-4212-9308-998B9589F92B@microsoft.com...
>> > ater I have transfered/burned all the data files I want on
>> > a cd-r.........just how do I finalize it? what I mean is how
>> > do I make it readable on any machine?
>> >
>> > thanks again,
>> >
>> > Steve

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

ok, yet I Nero on the machine, but if i choose the files and use
the send to comman, aren't I using Windows XP program to
burn the data files?

Steve

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Then I would say you're using 3rd party software such as InCD (Nero) or Direct CD (Roxio). Windows XP does not natively support packet writing to CD-RW media.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Steve" <speedo@whro.net> wrote in message news:0EE5C5B6-5917-4EB8-B460-085A888CBB5B@microsoft.com...
> > thanks Doug,
> >
> > but if it is already finalized, then why can I add more too it?
> >

> > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> If you're using Windows XP's built-in burning, the CD is finalized. If you're using a 3rd party program, such as Nero, then you'll need to check the help file for the specific program.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 02:11:15 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
<dknox@mvps.org> wrote:

>If you're using Windows XP's built-in burning, the CD is finalized.

Doug, is it the _disc_ that is finalized, or the _session_? And does
it treat CD-R and CD-RW differently?

Third-party burners for CD-R typically suggest finalizing the
_session_ so that a later session can import the earlier one and add
files. I know what I tried to add files to a CD-R the Win XP Wizard
failed (with no useful message) -- now I wonder if perhaps the
Wizard finalizes the _disc_ (on CD-R) and doesn't know how to deal
with a disc from other software that had the session finalized.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

I don't know, but using both Nero and inbuilt CD burning does not seem to be
recommended. I never had any trouble adding files to a CD-R or RW created
with the inbuilt burning, so adding files does not imply you're not using
the inbuilt burning.

From http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

" If you install any of these packages, the inbuilt burning software
probably will be disabled, and you should use the associated "mastering"
program instead. If the native software is not disabled automatically, you
should disable it manually. "

> ok, yet I Nero on the machine, but if i choose the files and use
> the send to comman, aren't I using Windows XP program to
> burn the data files?
>
> Steve
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Then I would say you're using 3rd party software such as InCD (Nero) or
>> Direct CD (Roxio). Windows XP does not natively support packet writing
>> to CD-RW media.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
>> Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Steve" <speedo@whro.net> wrote in message
>> > thanks Doug,
>> >
>> > but if it is already finalized, then why can I add more too it?

If you're using the context menu method, then yes, you're probably using the built-in burning capabilities. However, again, XP finalizes the disc, I believe, whether its CD-R or RW. It does not support multi-session, that I'm aware of.

There was an early issue with XP, where discs might not be readable in other machines. But this was patched back in October 2002.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320174/

"Steve" <speedo@whro.net> wrote in message news:76A698AF-0AC2-4E51-8A80-E517C6ED4681@microsoft.com...
> ok, yet I Nero on the machine, but if i choose the files and use
> the send to comman, aren't I using Windows XP program to
> burn the data files?
>
> Steve
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Then I would say you're using 3rd party software such as InCD (Nero) or Direct CD (Roxio). Windows XP does not natively support packet writing to CD-RW media.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Steve" <speedo@whro.net> wrote in message news:0EE5C5B6-5917-4EB8-B460-085A888CBB5B@microsoft.com...
>> > thanks Doug,
>> >
>> > but if it is already finalized, then why can I add more too it?

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:30:07 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
<dknox@mvps.org> wrote:

> However, again, XP finalizes the =
>disc, I believe, whether its CD-R or RW.

If it finalizes the disc, how can it add files later?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

You can't. To do this, you will need 3rd party software, such as InCD from Nero or Direct CD from Roxio.

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:liboc11jh2sj7fiagj9l9ajvmaflqhaag3@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:30:07 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
> <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> However, again, XP finalizes the =
>>disc, I believe, whether its CD-R or RW.
>
> If it finalizes the disc, how can it add files later?

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
> -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

You **can ** add files later without 3rd party software. I've done it on
both CD-R and CD-RW. See
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#inbuilt

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
You can't. To do this, you will need 3rd party software, such as InCD from
Nero or Direct CD from Roxio.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:30:07 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
> <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> However, again, XP finalizes the =
>>disc, I believe, whether its CD-R or RW.
>
> If it finalizes the disc, how can it add files later?

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
> -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:45:43 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
<dknox@mvps.org> wrote:

>"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message =
>> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:30:07 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
>> <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:
>>=20
>>> However, again, XP finalizes the =3D
>>>disc, I believe, whether its CD-R or RW.=20
>>=20
>> If it finalizes the disc, how can it add files later?

>You can't. To do this, you will need 3rd party software, such as InCD =
>from Nero or Direct CD from Roxio.

You might like to open Windows Help and Support and search for "add
files". The second hit I get is "Add more files to a CD", where it
explains that Windows does this with CD-R and CD-RW.

Either Windows Help is wrong and one can't add files to a CD-R using
native software, or your statement that it finalizes the disc is
wrong.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Thanks to you and Code Curious Mom. I was unaware of this.

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:dm0tc1dqmaqfk82lao4r5pm93jmddnpqb7@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:45:43 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
> <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message =
>>> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:30:07 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
>>> <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> If it finalizes the disc, how can it add files later?
>
>>You can't. To do this, you will need 3rd party software, such as InCD =
>>from Nero or Direct CD from Roxio.
>
> You might like to open Windows Help and Support and search for "add
> files". The second hit I get is "Add more files to a CD", where it
> explains that Windows does this with CD-R and CD-RW.
>
> Either Windows Help is wrong and one can't add files to a CD-R using
> native software, or your statement that it finalizes the disc is
> wrong.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com
> A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
> Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

That is only a small part correct, only in certain circumstances:

You can't *if*
- you close the CD so nothing more can be written to it
- the CD is full.

Other than that you can add things to the CD.

Note that some older drives may not be able to read anything but the first
written session on the disk.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
You can't. To do this, you will need 3rd party software, such as InCD from
Nero or Direct CD from Roxio.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
adverts CUT

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:30:07 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
> <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> However, again, XP finalizes the =
>>disc, I believe, whether its CD-R or RW.
>
> If it finalizes the disc, how can it add files later?

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
> -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:01:13 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
<dknox@mvps.org> wrote:

>Thanks to you and Code Curious Mom. I was unaware of this. =20
>
>--=20
>Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart =

Any chance you could turn off "quoted-printable" in your outgoing
articles? Particularly with quotes of quotes, it makes a hash of the
text.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

I wasn't going to correct you as I've been correcting too many people lately. This is from the programming docs. Another common misconception I hear here is that it can't burn AudioCD. It can. It's just that the user interface is in Media Player not Explorer.
Remarks
SetActiveDiscRecorder must be called after the media to be used has been inserted, and before calling IJolietDiscMaster::AddData.

Selecting a recorder while in an active Joliet format will cause IMAPI to read information from the currently installed recorder disc. If this disc is a previous IMAPI Joliet disc and has space for another session, IMAPI automatically sets itself to multi-session mode. This disc must be in the active recorder when RecordDisc is called.

The MaxWriteSpeed property is updated when this method is called. The default setting is the highest write speed.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message news:e0PUj38gFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Thanks to you and Code Curious Mom. I was unaware of this.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:dm0tc1dqmaqfk82lao4r5pm93jmddnpqb7@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:45:43 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
> <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message =
>>> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:30:07 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
>>> <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> If it finalizes the disc, how can it add files later?
>
>>You can't. To do this, you will need 3rd party software, such as InCD =
>>from Nero or Direct CD from Roxio.
>
> You might like to open Windows Help and Support and search for "add
> files". The second hit I get is "Add more files to a CD", where it
> explains that Windows does this with CD-R and CD-RW.
>
> Either Windows Help is wrong and one can't add files to a CD-R using
> native software, or your statement that it finalizes the disc is
> wrong.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com
> A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
> Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Has anyone experienced the cd-r not playing in their mp3 player? I have
burned music onto a disk and it played. And later added more music to the
same disk, which won't play in the mp3 player... only the first session
plays. On the pc, all media is present on the disk and plays on the pc.
Does anybody know why? and how to fix this? (if fixable.) It's worked b4
where I've burned a cd, then added additional files later w/ no problem in
playing it but for some reason, now any disk I've done only plays the first
session. Help?

"Stan Brown" wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 02:11:15 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP"
> <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >If you're using Windows XP's built-in burning, the CD is finalized.
>
> Doug, is it the _disc_ that is finalized, or the _session_? And does
> it treat CD-R and CD-RW differently?
>
> Third-party burners for CD-R typically suggest finalizing the
> _session_ so that a later session can import the earlier one and add
> files. I know what I tried to add files to a CD-R the Win XP Wizard
> failed (with no useful message) -- now I wonder if perhaps the
> Wizard finalizes the _disc_ (on CD-R) and doesn't know how to deal
> with a disc from other software that had the session finalized.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
> -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

TRENDING THREADS