Quarterstaff for Win?

Hi,

This might have been talked about already on this newsgroup or it might be
in a FAQ somewhere so please forgive my potential ignorance. :)

It is my understanding that the semi-graphic RPG "Quaterstaff" by Infocom
was made for the Macintosh. Are there any known ports of it for PC?

thanks,
crichmon

crichmon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This might have been talked about already on this newsgroup or it might be
> in a FAQ somewhere so please forgive my potential ignorance. :)
>
> It is my understanding that the semi-graphic RPG "Quaterstaff" by Infocom
> was made for the Macintosh. Are there any known ports of it for PC?

Although a PC version was planned and the rumor of its existence here
and there still surfaces, the only version of "Quarterstaff" that exists
is the one for the Mac.

Marco
--
Delete the ".george" from my address to mail me.

"Marco Thorek" <marco.george@infocom-if.org> wrote in message

> crichmon wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This might have been talked about already on this newsgroup or it might
be
> > in a FAQ somewhere so please forgive my potential ignorance. :)
> >
> > It is my understanding that the semi-graphic RPG "Quaterstaff" by
Infocom
> > was made for the Macintosh. Are there any known ports of it for PC?
>
> Although a PC version was planned and the rumor of its existence here
> and there still surfaces, the only version of "Quarterstaff" that exists
> is the one for the Mac.

That's what I was afraid of. :( I have a buddy that has a Mac, how possible
is it to get a free copy of the game? Is it considered abandonware now?

crichmon

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 04:17:52 GMT, "crichmon" <crichmon23@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Marco Thorek" <marco.george@infocom-if.org> wrote in message
>>
>> crichmon wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > This might have been talked about already on this newsgroup or it might
>be
>> > in a FAQ somewhere so please forgive my potential ignorance. :)
>> >
>> > It is my understanding that the semi-graphic RPG "Quaterstaff" by
>Infocom
>> > was made for the Macintosh. Are there any known ports of it for PC?
>>
>> Although a PC version was planned and the rumor of its existence here
>> and there still surfaces, the only version of "Quarterstaff" that exists
>> is the one for the Mac.
>
>That's what I was afraid of. :( I have a buddy that has a Mac, how possible
>is it to get a free copy of the game? Is it considered abandonware now?
>
>crichmon

Check out www.the-underdogs.org , and following the links you can also
download Basilisk, a Mac emulator that you can use to play the game
under Windows

crichmon wrote:

> That's what I was afraid of. :( I have a buddy that has a Mac, how
> possible is it to get a free copy of the game? Is it considered
> abandonware now?

Nope, it's not free or abandonware. You'll have to try eBay if you really
want a legal copy. You need the stuff in the box for copy protection anyway.

-- Gunther

graeme

>Although a PC version was planned and the rumor of its existence here
>and there still surfaces, the only version of "Quarterstaff" that exists
>is the one for the Mac.

Not only planned, but actually announced in Infocom brochures. There was going
to be an Apple ][GS version too. But they never materialized.

Not a huge loss, though. It's kind of an annoying game. Only a three level
dungeon, and far more items than you can carry. Lots of inventory shuffling.
And runs far too slow on a Mac Classic. Better on a later model, though. I
understand the rabid completist mindset, having it myself, but honestly, if it
didn't say "Infocom" on the box, I wouldn't mind missing it too much.

If anyone really wants to play it on a PC in Windows though, I bet it would
work with vMac.

Graeme wrote:

> If anyone really wants to play it on a PC in Windows though, I bet it
> would work with vMac.

It does indeed, although it works a lot better with Basilisk II (which,
unlike vMac, doesn't support Quarterstaff's sound, though).

-- Gunther

Graeme wrote:

> Not only planned, but actually announced in Infocom brochures. There was going
> to be an Apple ][GS version too. But they never materialized.

True.

> Not a huge loss, though. It's kind of an annoying game. Only a three level
> dungeon, and far more items than you can carry. Lots of inventory shuffling.
> And runs far too slow on a Mac Classic. Better on a later model, though. I
> understand the rabid completist mindset, having it myself, but honestly, if it
> didn't say "Infocom" on the box, I wouldn't mind missing it too much.

I have to admit I never actually played it.

BTW, I even own Tombs & Treasures - call me fanatic ;-)

Marco
--
Delete the ".george" from my address to mail me.