Uninstalled Encarta and it caused multiple problems

July 5, 2005 2:26:01 AM

I'm on XP PRO SP2...last week I uninstalled Encarta and right after that, my
system was useless...first all of my fonts were completely gone from the
Fonts folder and when my computer would start, there were no words, just
characters and objects like hearts and diamonds, and some characters that
resembled Japenese characters. I can't System Restore because I get the
error "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart
your computer and run system restore again". It hasn't worked, and I also
tried in safe mode. When XP starts up the Windows Installer keeps popping
up. I tried to reinstall Encarta and other programs but I get the error
"Could not access network location \common files\. I cannot connect to the
internet at all. PLEASE HELP ME!
July 5, 2005 4:42:43 AM

Sorta like wingdings? Either way:

Error 1606 ... Access Network Location (Line 66)

Manual Edit:

Go to: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

Ensure that the Common Admistrative Tools entry is correct.

It should read:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

Err Msg: Error 1606 Could Not Access Network Location
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315352

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"yc" <yc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm on XP PRO SP2...last week I uninstalled Encarta and right after that,
> my
> system was useless...first all of my fonts were completely gone from the
> Fonts folder and when my computer would start, there were no words, just
> characters and objects like hearts and diamonds, and some characters that
> resembled Japenese characters. I can't System Restore because I get the
> error "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please
> restart
> your computer and run system restore again". It hasn't worked, and I also
> tried in safe mode. When XP starts up the Windows Installer keeps popping
> up. I tried to reinstall Encarta and other programs but I get the error
> "Could not access network location \common files\. I cannot connect to
> the
> internet at all. PLEASE HELP ME!
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:12:02 PM

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for that suggestion! It didn't work, I tried to run the tweak
that you linked me to but i got the error

Error: ActiveX Component can't create object: 'Scripting.FileSystemObject'
Code 800A01AD
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error.

I also checked the registry manually and it had the correct entry for the
Administrative Tools. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but the
Default key does not have a value set.

Also, I just can't open Help and Support because it says a "system service
is not running". Please help!! Thanks!

Yvette

!