[New Game] Necrotic Drift

Hi.

I just finished a graphical text adventure game called Necrotic Drift.
Possibly, you will like it.

If you'd like to take a look at the manual, it's available for
download right here:
http://www.joltcountry.com/downloads/whichwitch.pdf

The game itself can be downloaded here (38MB):
http://www.joltcountry.com/downloads/ndrift.zip

This is a 1.00 release. It has been tested reasonably well, but there
are always glitches in the first publicly available version. I will
put the game on the IF Archive in a little bit.

Necrotic Drift is written in Hugo 3.0. I've included the Windows
version of the Hugo engine in the zipfile, but you can get the latest
version of Hugo for any operating system at
http://www.generalcoffee.com. The recommended resolution for this game
is anything over 1024x768.

Please feel free to send comments to beaver@zombieworld.com. Thanks.

Robb Sherwin
Longmont, CO
beaver@zombieworld.com
http://www.joltcountry.com

Robb Sherwin <beaver@zombieworld.com> wrote in message news:<e45a1fb75b73b512d8412c1ff9b80301@unlimited.ultrafeed.com>...

> The game itself can be downloaded here (38MB):
> http://www.joltcountry.com/downloads/ndrift.zip

Is there any reason for the overly large download? I mean, 38MB for a
*text* adventure? That's going to take 4 hours for someone on a
dial-up modem to download, and from a quick glance at the game files
the actual game itself is 500KB. Wouldn't it make more sense to put up
a non-sound/non-graphics version for people not willing to spend 4
hours to download it?

On Mon, 21 Jvn 2004 02:47:28 GMT, Robb Sherwin
<beaver@zombieworld.com> wrote:

>http://www.joltcovntry.com/downloads/ndrift.zip
Why Bvy This Game When Yov Covld Steal It?

Except yov can't. Not yet. An
amatevr like yov? Come off it!
Now, if yov were a fvlly paid-vp
vnion member of the New Haz
Fvntime Teen Mall, things
wovld be different...

Boy, this is a straight rip-off from Gvild Of Thieves box back cover.

Not that I'm jvdging, mind yov. Nice feelies, btw

me@dwhyld.plus.com (David Whyld) wrote in message
> Is there any reason for the overly large download? I mean, 38MB for a
> *text* adventure? That's going to take 4 hours for someone on a
> dial-up modem to download, and from a quick glance at the game files
> the actual game itself is 500KB. Wouldn't it make more sense to put up
> a non-sound/non-graphics version for people not willing to spend 4
> hours to download it?

With you normally, bro. For the last game, in fact, I sent out copies
for free on CD for anyone who threw me an e-mail and gave me their
mailing address. I unfortunately don't have the resources to commit to
doing that presently, but this one will most likely be made available
on Feelies.org in some capacity.

There was a thread in the past on the size vs distribution angle. For
this particular game, I pretty much agree with Adam here:
http://tinyurl.com/3hxmt

-- Robb

Il Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:38:23 -0700, David Whyld ha scritto:

> Wouldn't it make more sense to put up
> a non-sound/non-graphics version for people not willing to spend 4
> hours to download it?

I second this motion.

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

> me@dwhyld.plus.com (David Whyld) wrote in message
> With you normally, bro. For the last game, in fact, I sent out copies
> for free on CD for anyone who threw me an e-mail and gave me their
> mailing address. I unfortunately don't have the resources to commit to
> doing that presently, but this one will most likely be made available
> on Feelies.org in some capacity.

I think you're missing my point, which was: 38MB is a massive download for a
dial-up modem. Back in the days when I was on dial-up, if I came across a
5MB game I'd cringe at the idea of spending half an hour downloading it and
pass on to something else. I certainly wouldn't even consider getting
something that was 38KB. Considering that the actual text for the game is
around 500KB, wouldn't it be easier to make that available as a separate
download for people not wishing to get the entire package?

"David Whyld" <me@dwhyld.plus.com> writes:

> "Robb Sherwin" <beaver@zombieworld.com> wrote in message
> > me@dwhyld.plus.com (David Whyld) wrote in message
> > With you normally, bro. For the last game, in fact, I sent out copies
> > for free on CD for anyone who threw me an e-mail and gave me their
> > mailing address. I unfortunately don't have the resources to commit to
> > doing that presently, but this one will most likely be made available
> > on Feelies.org in some capacity.
> >

> I think you're missing my point, which was: 38MB is a massive download for a
> dial-up modem. Back in the days when I was on dial-up, if I came across a
> 5MB game I'd cringe at the idea of spending half an hour downloading it and
> pass on to something else. I certainly wouldn't even consider getting
> something that was 38KB. Considering that the actual text for the game is
> around 500KB, wouldn't it be easier to make that available as a separate
> download for people not wishing to get the entire package?

It sounds as if you may be missing his point, given his citation of
Adam Cadre's post: sometimes IF authors may be willing to sacrifice
audience size to get just the effect they want. A text-only version of
the game might not be something he wants to offer because of what
you'd miss, any more than I'd like to offer a version of Common Ground
with only one story.

Stephen

--
Stephen Granade
stephen@granades.com

In article <uwu1zl9dh.fsf@granades.com>,
Stephen Granade <stephen@granades.com> wrote:
>It sounds as if you may be missing his point, given his citation of
>Adam Cadre's post: sometimes IF authors may be willing to sacrifice
>audience size to get just the effect they want. A text-only version of
>the game might not be something he wants to offer because of what
>you'd miss, any more than I'd like to offer a version of Common Ground
>with only one story.

I personally think Robb should make a version available with graphics
but no music, which would be about 8 or 9 MB.

The music adds a lot of atmosphere, but the game's quite playable
without it. I'm not sure that it's playable without the graphics.

Adam

adam@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote in message news:<cba2jk$3ev$3@news.fsf.net>...

> The music adds a lot of atmosphere, but the game's quite playable
> without it. I'm not sure that it's playable without the graphics.
>
> Adam

How necessary are the graphics? I've only played the early stages of
the game so far but so far the graphics just seem a distraction more
than anything else.

In article <fcc784d7.0406222334.289d825f@posting.google.com>,
David Whyld <me@dwhyld.plus.com> wrote:
>adam@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote in message
>>
>> The music adds a lot of atmosphere, but the game's quite playable
>> without it. I'm not sure that it's playable without the graphics.
>>
>> Adam
>
>How necessary are the graphics? I've only played the early stages of
>the game so far but so far the graphics just seem a distraction more
>than anything else.

I think there are a number of things in the middle game where the
graphic provides information that is at best not very well-clued from
the text alone. Although I'm having difficulty thinking of a specific
example, now that you mention it.

Adam