Buying new HD, need opinions

CBMLude

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
I'm basically looking for either a 120G or 160G HD for my new system on an ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe mobo. I've been trying to find some articles on 120G and 160G HD's but they seem limited, as most articles seem to always cover those drives in 200+Gs. So I'm gonna ask you guys for experience and knowledge of brands. Oh and BTW this will probably be a SATA drive and most likely a choice between WD, Maxtor, and Segate

Another question is, I have is for my current computer, I have a WD120JB Drive with an older 40G IBM drive (I believe the specs are 2mb buffer and 7200rpm but I'm not 100% sure). The problem I has is it seems the WD drive slows down my computer. Simply closing of windows lag. For instance I'd click the "x" icon on the top right of my window and I'd have to wait a second or two until I can click to close another window. During this time I can still move my mouse and all, but I am until able to close other windows. Does anyone know what's wrong?

my current system has:
Abit KT7-RAID
AMD 1.2Ghz
512Ram
the HD's are hooked up to the same IDE cable on the RAID IDE slots (so that ATA100 is enabled)
and I have two CD drives (writer and a DVDROM) hooked up on the same IDE cable

I have enought IDE slots so that each drive (HD and CD drives) can be on it's own cable.... is this the problem?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Pricewatch lists a 160GB, 8MB cache Seagate for $90, sounds good to me.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

jcarte01

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
I'm happy with my two sata 160gb seagates, there supposed to be one of the quietest hds around.

Homer: There’s 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the max power way.
Bart: isn’t that the wrong way.
Homer: yea but faster.