Pirate copy of XP Home

Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my apologies in advance.

I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a perfectly legitimate
copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time, my son-in-law
bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay (.es).

(Need I say more?)

Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home turned up with a
photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros, Ebay couldn't care
less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that it's just not worth
the hassle.

HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary fraud, I doubt
Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate copies of XP home
over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific department or
web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action can be taken
against these crooks?

Tim
28 answers Last reply
More about pirate copy home

    Hi Tim

    Please try here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my apologies in advance.
    >
    > I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a perfectly
    > legitimate copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time, my
    > son-in-law bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay (.es).
    >
    > (Need I say more?)
    >
    > Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home turned up with a
    > photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros, Ebay couldn't care
    > less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that it's just not
    > worth the hassle.
    >
    > HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary fraud, I doubt
    > Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate copies of XP home
    > over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific department or
    > web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action can be taken
    > against these crooks?
    >

    > Tim

    Reporting Piracy:
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my apologies in advance.
    >
    > I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a perfectly
    > legitimate copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time, my
    > son-in-law bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay (.es).
    >
    > (Need I say more?)
    >
    > Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home turned up with a
    > photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros, Ebay couldn't care
    > less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that it's just not
    > worth the hassle.
    >
    > HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary fraud, I doubt
    > Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate copies of XP home
    > over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific department or
    > web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action can be taken
    > against these crooks?
    >

    > Tim

    EBay cares, email them.
    eBay Fraud Reporting
    If you are unable to resolve the problem, you can file a
    Fraud Report through
    the online ... SafeHarbour - to report possible misuse on
    eBay (for example, ...
    pages.ebay.com.au/help/community/frs-start.html - 19k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    some support

    "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my
    apologies in advance.

    | I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a
    perfectly legitimate
    | copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time,
    my son-in-law
    | bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay
    (.es).

    | (Need I say more?)
    |
    | Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home
    turned up with a
    | photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros,
    Ebay couldn't care
    | less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that
    it's just not worth
    | the hassle.
    |
    | HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary
    fraud, I doubt
    | Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate
    copies of XP home
    | over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific
    department or
    | web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action
    can be taken
    | against these crooks?
    |

    | Tim

    Here's the link to report piracy to Microsoft -
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

    I'd also suggest reporting it to eBay and to PayPal

    "Tim" wrote:

    > Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my apologies in advance.
    >
    > I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a perfectly legitimate
    > copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time, my son-in-law
    > bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay (.es).
    >
    > (Need I say more?)
    >
    > Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home turned up with a
    > photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros, Ebay couldn't care
    > less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that it's just not worth
    > the hassle.
    >
    > HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary fraud, I doubt
    > Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate copies of XP home
    > over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific department or
    > web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action can be taken
    > against these crooks?
    >

    > Tim

    Thanks.

    Tim

    Officially ebay may care but the reality is that they don't. They used to,
    but now if you e-mail them their official line is that unless you are the
    copyright holder (i.e. in this case Microsoft, not you or me) then they
    won't do anything. That's my experience. Please prove me wrong!!! I get
    quite annoyed given the number of people selling pirate stuff on ebay. I'm
    in the habit now of emailing sellers to ask, but I've had guarantees of
    something being genuine which then turned out to be pirate.

    I've not dealt with Microsoft, it would be nice to think there were a little
    more pro-active but given the masses of pirate Microsoft stuff on ebay I'm
    dubious ...

    Brian.

    > EBay cares, email them.
    > eBay Fraud Reporting
    > If you are unable to resolve the problem, you can file a
    > Fraud Report through
    > the online ... SafeHarbour - to report possible misuse on
    > eBay (for example, ...
    > pages.ebay.com.au/help/community/frs-start.html - 19k -
    > Cached - Similar pages

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my
    > apologies in advance.
    > |
    > | I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a
    > perfectly legitimate
    > | copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time,
    > my son-in-law
    > | bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay
    > (.es).
    > |
    > | (Need I say more?)
    > |
    > | Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home
    > turned up with a
    > | photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros,
    > Ebay couldn't care
    > | less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that
    > it's just not worth
    > | the hassle.
    > |
    > | HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary
    > fraud, I doubt
    > | Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate
    > copies of XP home
    > | over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific
    > department or
    > | web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action
    > can be taken
    > | against these crooks?
    > |

    > | Tim

    The recent Supreme Court rulings may cause ebay to change it's "unofficial"
    policy. If someone is doing something illegal on ebay (selling illegal
    copies of Windows XP), then ebay can be held liable if it knows about it
    (your email). I would suggest not only emailing ebay. but also the
    Microsoft antipiracy group, as well as the Attorney General's office in your
    state. Granted, nothing may come of it, but if the Supreme Court were to
    hold ebay to the same standards as the P2P sharing networks, then ebay can
    be prosecuted for allowing know illegal activity to continue.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > The recent Supreme Court rulings may cause ebay to change it's
    > "unofficial" policy. If someone is doing something illegal on ebay
    > (selling illegal copies of Windows XP), then ebay can be held liable
    > if it knows about it (your email). I would suggest not only emailing
    > ebay. but also the Microsoft antipiracy group, as well as the
    > Attorney General's office in your state. Granted, nothing may come
    > of it, but if the Supreme Court were to hold ebay to the same
    > standards as the P2P sharing networks, then ebay can be prosecuted
    > for allowing know illegal activity to continue.
    > Bobby

    Wrong. The Grokster case is about actively encouraging piracy.

    The Supremes didn't make file-sharing illegal. What it did was hold
    companies accountable that market filesharing tools as copyright
    infringement tools.

    The problem with acting on non-copyright owners complaints is that there
    are many people that complain erroneously. eBay would spend more time
    investigating complaints, than making money.

    Personally, I wouldn't buy anything through eBay.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    When you consider that a bonafide OEM of Windows XP Home goes for 80 EUR in
    Spain, yeah, you got ripped off.
    --
    Alias

    Tim wrote:
    > Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my apologies in advance.
    >
    > I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a perfectly legitimate
    > copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time, my son-in-law
    > bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay (.es).
    >
    > (Need I say more?)
    >
    > Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home turned up with a
    > photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros, Ebay couldn't care
    > less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that it's just not worth
    > the hassle.
    >
    > HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary fraud, I doubt
    > Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate copies of XP home
    > over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific department or
    > web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action can be taken
    > against these crooks?
    >

    > Tim

    Forward the pertinent information (link to the sale, etc) to
    piracy@microsoft.com.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You're right - how did you know? 79 Euros I paid, in fact. So S-I-L was had
    both ways.

    And take it from one who knows - ebay don't give a toss. This guy's
    activities have been reported to Ebay; who did nothing.

    Tim

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    > When you consider that a bonafide OEM of Windows XP Home goes for 80 EUR
    > in Spain, yeah, you got ripped off.
    > --
    > Alias

    Do you have a Trading Standards or equivalent government body? What do they
    say?

    > You're right - how did you know? 79 Euros I paid, in fact. So
    > S-I-L was had both ways.
    >
    > And take it from one who knows - ebay don't give a toss. This
    > guy's activities have been reported to Ebay; who did nothing.
    >

    > Tim
    >

    > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >> When you consider that a bonafide OEM of Windows XP Home goes
    >> for 80 EUR in Spain, yeah, you got ripped off.
    >> --
    >> Alias

    Contact the local Microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/spain/

    In Spain, any theft under 300 EUR is not considered a crime but a "falta",
    comparable to a traffic ticket in the USA. The OP has lost 79 EUR and should
    just chalk it up to experience and move on.
    --
    Alias

    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote

    > Do you have a Trading Standards or equivalent government body? What do
    > they say?
    >

    > "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You're right - how did you know? 79 Euros I paid, in fact. So S-I-L was
    >> had both ways.
    >>
    >> And take it from one who knows - ebay don't give a toss. This guy's
    >> activities have been reported to Ebay; who did nothing.
    >>

    >> Tim
    >>

    >> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >>> When you consider that a bonafide OEM of Windows XP Home goes for 80 EUR
    >>> in Spain, yeah, you got ripped off.
    >>> --
    >>> Alias

    You can get a bonafide OEM copy of XP from

    http://www.appinformatica.com/ (84 EUR)

    or

    http://www.pcbox.com/inicio/default.asp?lan=es&cnt=es (83.16 EUR)
    --
    Alias

    "McSpreader" <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> You're right - how did you know? 79 Euros I paid, in fact. So
    >> S-I-L was had both ways.
    >>
    >> And take it from one who knows - ebay don't give a toss. This
    >> guy's activities have been reported to Ebay; who did nothing.
    >>

    >> Tim
    >>

    >> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >>> When you consider that a bonafide OEM of Windows XP Home goes
    >>> for 80 EUR in Spain, yeah, you got ripped off.
    >>> --
    >>> Alias
    >>>

    > Contact the local Microsoft:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/spain/

    And what, pray tell, do you think Microsoft would do?
    --
    Alias

    Absolutely nothing if Microsoft is not informed.

    --

    > "McSpreader" <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> You're right - how did you know? 79 Euros I paid, in fact. So
    >>> S-I-L was had both ways.
    >>>
    >>> And take it from one who knows - ebay don't give a toss. This
    >>> guy's activities have been reported to Ebay; who did nothing.
    >>>

    >>> Tim
    >>>

    >>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >> Contact the local Microsoft:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/spain/
    >
    > And what, pray tell, do you think Microsoft would do?
    > --
    > Alias

    They can't do anything if they are not told. They have the opportunity to do
    something if they are told.

    OK, I'll bite. What will they do if informed?
    --
    Alias

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote

    > Absolutely nothing if Microsoft is not informed.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >> And what, pray tell, do you think Microsoft would do?
    >> --
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

    I don't know what they would do any more than you do.
    But if Microsoft is not informed, it is a guarantee of nothing.
    It is difficult to get less action than nothing so there is nothing to lose.

    --

    > OK, I'll bite. What will they do if informed?
    > --
    > Alias
    >
    > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote
    >
    >> Absolutely nothing if Microsoft is not informed.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    >>> And what, pray tell, do you think Microsoft would do?
    >>> --
    >>> Alias
    >>>
    >>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
    >>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
    > I don't know what they would do any more than you do.
    > But if Microsoft is not informed, it is a guarantee of nothing.
    > It is difficult to get less action than nothing so there is nothing
    > to lose.

    LOL! So you are saying that MS has no proactive way of combating this
    type of piracy? MS relies on nothing but informants?

    You are a silly boy, if you think it is "a guarantee of nothing" MS can
    do if not informed.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I never said "MS has no proactive way of combating this type of piracy",
    those are your words, not mine, perhaps you should read before commenting.
    Microsoft has to be informed.
    If not by others, they need to inform themselves.
    They can not act on what they are unaware.

    --

    > LOL! So you are saying that MS has no proactive way of combating this
    > type of piracy? MS relies on nothing but informants?
    >
    > You are a silly boy, if you think it is "a guarantee of nothing" MS can do
    > if not informed.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Kelly wrote:
    > Let it go, Matt. If his posts bother you either ignore it or just
    > correct what you think is wrong via your own opinion without the
    > flaming. And that goes for the both of yall.

    LOL! If I was bothered by his posts, I'd agree with you, but that is
    far from the case. But Juppy's irrational reactions to my posts just
    amuses me too much to ignore him.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Alan Smith wrote:
    > Don't be stupid. He didn't say that and you trying to twist his words
    > won't change it into what you try to claim.
    > You're doing what you attempt to claim others do to you. But it isn't
    > working.

    So you are buying his Bullsh*t that he meant that along with having
    people inform MS, that "they [MS] need to inform themselves," when he
    replied to Alias, "I don't know what they would do any more than you do.
    But if Microsoft is not informed, it is a guarantee of nothing. It is
    difficult to get less action than nothing so there is nothing to lose"?

    It is your choice to believe it, but I would suggest that it stretches
    credulity to the breaking point.

    So, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, what do you think Juppy meant when he replied to
    Alias's question, "What will they [MS] do if informed?"

    And remember the context of that question in this thread!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Alan Smith wrote:
    >> Don't be stupid. He didn't say that and you trying to twist his words
    >> won't change it into what you try to claim.
    >> You're doing what you attempt to claim others do to you. But it isn't
    >> working.
    >>

    > So you are buying his Bullsh*t that he meant that along with having people
    > inform MS, that "they [MS] need to inform themselves," when he replied to
    > Alias, "I don't know what they would do any more than you do. But if
    > Microsoft is not informed, it is a guarantee of nothing. It is difficult
    > to get less action than nothing so there is nothing to lose"?
    >
    > It is your choice to believe it, but I would suggest that it stretches
    > credulity to the breaking point.
    >
    > So, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, what do you think Juppy meant when he replied to
    > Alias's question, "What will they [MS] do if informed?"
    >
    > And remember the context of that question in this thread!
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt

    Another diversion.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Alan Smith wrote:
    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
    > message news:eyLSumvgFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> Alan Smith wrote:
    >>> Don't be stupid. He didn't say that and you trying to twist his
    >>> words won't change it into what you try to claim.
    >>> You're doing what you attempt to claim others do to you. But it
    >>> isn't working.
    >>>

    >> So you are buying his Bullsh*t that he meant that along with having
    >> people inform MS, that "they [MS] need to inform themselves," when
    >> he replied to Alias, "I don't know what they would do any more than
    >> you do. But if Microsoft is not informed, it is a guarantee of
    >> nothing. It is difficult to get less action than nothing so there
    >> is nothing to lose"? It is your choice to believe it, but I would
    >> suggest that it
    >> stretches credulity to the breaking point.
    >>
    >> So, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, what do you think Juppy meant when he replied
    >> to Alias's question, "What will they [MS] do if informed?"
    >>
    >> And remember the context of that question in this thread!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >>

    > Another diversion.

    ROFL! Yes, that is an accurate description of your posts in this
    thread, diversions!

    It is quite refreshing to see such honesty, outing yourself in trying to
    divert from Juppy's obvious blunder in making his "guarantee of nothing"

    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I see.....well, beings yall both seem to enjoy this - Kelly has left the
    building. :o)

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > Kelly wrote:
    >> Let it go, Matt. If his posts bother you either ignore it or just
    >> correct what you think is wrong via your own opinion without the
    >> flaming. And that goes for the both of yall.
    >
    > LOL! If I was bothered by his posts, I'd agree with you, but that is far
    > from the case. But Juppy's irrational reactions to my posts just amuses
    > me too much to ignore him.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Kelly wrote:
    > I see.....well, beings yall both seem to enjoy this - Kelly has left
    > the building. :o)

    Oh, I very much doubt Juppy enjoys it at all.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator