Tim

Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my apologies in advance.

I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a perfectly legitimate
copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time, my son-in-law
bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay (.es).

(Need I say more?)

Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home turned up with a
photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros, Ebay couldn't care
less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that it's just not worth
the hassle.

HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary fraud, I doubt
Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate copies of XP home
over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific department or
web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action can be taken
against these crooks?

Tim

Hi Tim

Please try here:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my apologies in advance.
>
> I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a perfectly
> legitimate copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time, my
> son-in-law bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay (.es).
>
> (Need I say more?)
>
> Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home turned up with a
> photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros, Ebay couldn't care
> less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that it's just not
> worth the hassle.
>
> HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary fraud, I doubt
> Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate copies of XP home
> over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific department or
> web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action can be taken
> against these crooks?
>

> Tim

Reporting Piracy:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my apologies in advance.
>
> I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a perfectly
> legitimate copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time, my
> son-in-law bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay (.es).
>
> (Need I say more?)
>
> Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home turned up with a
> photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros, Ebay couldn't care
> less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that it's just not
> worth the hassle.
>
> HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary fraud, I doubt
> Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate copies of XP home
> over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific department or
> web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action can be taken
> against these crooks?
>

> Tim

EBay cares, email them.
eBay Fraud Reporting
If you are unable to resolve the problem, you can file a
Fraud Report through
the online ... SafeHarbour - to report possible misuse on
eBay (for example, ...
pages.ebay.com.au/help/community/frs-start.html - 19k -
Cached - Similar pages

some support

"Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my
apologies in advance.

| I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a
perfectly legitimate
| copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time,
my son-in-law
| bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay
(.es).

| (Need I say more?)
|
| Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home
turned up with a
| photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros,
Ebay couldn't care
| less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that
it's just not worth
| the hassle.
|
| HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary
fraud, I doubt
| Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate
copies of XP home
| over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific
department or
| web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action
can be taken
| against these crooks?
|

| Tim

Here's the link to report piracy to Microsoft -
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

I'd also suggest reporting it to eBay and to PayPal

"Tim" wrote:

> Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my apologies in advance.
>
> I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a perfectly legitimate
> copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time, my son-in-law
> bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay (.es).
>
> (Need I say more?)
>
> Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home turned up with a
> photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros, Ebay couldn't care
> less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that it's just not worth
> the hassle.
>
> HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary fraud, I doubt
> Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate copies of XP home
> over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific department or
> web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action can be taken
> against these crooks?
>

> Tim

Officially ebay may care but the reality is that they don't. They used to,
but now if you e-mail them their official line is that unless you are the
copyright holder (i.e. in this case Microsoft, not you or me) then they
won't do anything. That's my experience. Please prove me wrong!!! I get
quite annoyed given the number of people selling pirate stuff on ebay. I'm
in the habit now of emailing sellers to ask, but I've had guarantees of
something being genuine which then turned out to be pirate.

I've not dealt with Microsoft, it would be nice to think there were a little
more pro-active but given the masses of pirate Microsoft stuff on ebay I'm
dubious ...

Brian.

> EBay cares, email them.
> eBay Fraud Reporting
> If you are unable to resolve the problem, you can file a
> Fraud Report through
> the online ... SafeHarbour - to report possible misuse on
> eBay (for example, ...
> pages.ebay.com.au/help/community/frs-start.html - 19k -
> Cached - Similar pages

> some support
> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
>

> "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my
> apologies in advance.
> |
> | I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a
> perfectly legitimate
> | copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time,
> my son-in-law
> | bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay
> (.es).
> |
> | (Need I say more?)
> |
> | Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home
> turned up with a
> | photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros,
> Ebay couldn't care
> | less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that
> it's just not worth
> | the hassle.
> |
> | HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary
> fraud, I doubt
> | Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate
> copies of XP home
> | over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific
> department or
> | web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action
> can be taken
> | against these crooks?
> |

> | Tim

The recent Supreme Court rulings may cause ebay to change it's "unofficial"
policy. If someone is doing something illegal on ebay (selling illegal
copies of Windows XP), then ebay can be held liable if it knows about it
(your email). I would suggest not only emailing ebay. but also the
Microsoft antipiracy group, as well as the Attorney General's office in your
state. Granted, nothing may come of it, but if the Supreme Court were to
hold ebay to the same standards as the P2P sharing networks, then ebay can
be prosecuted for allowing know illegal activity to continue.

Bobby

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> The recent Supreme Court rulings may cause ebay to change it's
> "unofficial" policy. If someone is doing something illegal on ebay
> (selling illegal copies of Windows XP), then ebay can be held liable
> if it knows about it (your email). I would suggest not only emailing
> ebay. but also the Microsoft antipiracy group, as well as the
> Attorney General's office in your state. Granted, nothing may come
> of it, but if the Supreme Court were to hold ebay to the same
> standards as the P2P sharing networks, then ebay can be prosecuted
> for allowing know illegal activity to continue.
> Bobby

Wrong. The Grokster case is about actively encouraging piracy.

The Supremes didn't make file-sharing illegal. What it did was hold
companies accountable that market filesharing tools as copyright
infringement tools.

The problem with acting on non-copyright owners complaints is that there
are many people that complain erroneously. eBay would spend more time
investigating complaints, than making money.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything through eBay.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Alias

When you consider that a bonafide OEM of Windows XP Home goes for 80 EUR in
Spain, yeah, you got ripped off.
--
Alias

Tim wrote:
> Possibly not the right newsgroup, in which case my apologies in advance.
>
> I live in Spain, and a couple of months ago, I bought a perfectly legitimate
> copy of XP Home for a niece's computer. At the same time, my son-in-law
> bought a supposedly legitimate copy from someone on Ebay (.es).
>
> (Need I say more?)
>
> Anyway, the obvious happened; a pirate copy of XP Home turned up with a
> photocopy of a licence; my son-in-law is out 75 euros, Ebay couldn't care
> less, and the legal process in Spain is so tortuous that it's just not worth
> the hassle.
>
> HOWEVER; I notice that it's still going on. Now, ordinary fraud, I doubt
> Microsoft is interested in; but someone selling pirate copies of XP home
> over the internet? So my question is; is there a specific department or
> web-site I can write to, in English, to see if any action can be taken
> against these crooks?
>

> Tim

Forward the pertinent information (link to the sale, etc) to
piracy@microsoft.com.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Tim

You're right - how did you know? 79 Euros I paid, in fact. So S-I-L was had
both ways.

And take it from one who knows - ebay don't give a toss. This guy's
activities have been reported to Ebay; who did nothing.

Tim

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> When you consider that a bonafide OEM of Windows XP Home goes for 80 EUR
> in Spain, yeah, you got ripped off.
> --
> Alias

Do you have a Trading Standards or equivalent government body? What do they
say?

> You're right - how did you know? 79 Euros I paid, in fact. So
> S-I-L was had both ways.
>
> And take it from one who knows - ebay don't give a toss. This
> guy's activities have been reported to Ebay; who did nothing.
>

> Tim
>

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>> When you consider that a bonafide OEM of Windows XP Home goes
>> for 80 EUR in Spain, yeah, you got ripped off.
>> --
>> Alias

Contact the local Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/spain/

Alias

In Spain, any theft under 300 EUR is not considered a crime but a "falta",
comparable to a traffic ticket in the USA. The OP has lost 79 EUR and should
just chalk it up to experience and move on.
--
Alias

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote

> Do you have a Trading Standards or equivalent government body? What do
> they say?
>

> "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You're right - how did you know? 79 Euros I paid, in fact. So S-I-L was
>> had both ways.
>>
>> And take it from one who knows - ebay don't give a toss. This guy's
>> activities have been reported to Ebay; who did nothing.
>>

>> Tim
>>

>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>> When you consider that a bonafide OEM of Windows XP Home goes for 80 EUR
>>> in Spain, yeah, you got ripped off.
>>> --
>>> Alias

Alias

You can get a bonafide OEM copy of XP from

http://www.appinformatica.com/ (84 EUR)

or

http://www.pcbox.com/inicio/default.asp?lan=es&cnt=es (83.16 EUR)
--
Alias

"Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote

> You're right - how did you know? 79 Euros I paid, in fact. So S-I-L was
> had both ways.
>
> And take it from one who knows - ebay don't give a toss. This guy's
> activities have been reported to Ebay; who did nothing.
>

> Tim
>

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>> When you consider that a bonafide OEM of Windows XP Home goes for 80 EUR
>> in Spain, yeah, you got ripped off.
>> --
>> Alias

Alias

"McSpreader" <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> You're right - how did you know? 79 Euros I paid, in fact. So
>> S-I-L was had both ways.
>>
>> And take it from one who knows - ebay don't give a toss. This
>> guy's activities have been reported to Ebay; who did nothing.
>>

>> Tim
>>

>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>> When you consider that a bonafide OEM of Windows XP Home goes
>>> for 80 EUR in Spain, yeah, you got ripped off.
>>> --
>>> Alias
>>>

> Contact the local Microsoft:
> http://www.microsoft.com/spain/

And what, pray tell, do you think Microsoft would do?
--
Alias

Absolutely nothing if Microsoft is not informed.

--

> "McSpreader" <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Tim" <pike_by_nature@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> You're right - how did you know? 79 Euros I paid, in fact. So
>>> S-I-L was had both ways.
>>>
>>> And take it from one who knows - ebay don't give a toss. This
>>> guy's activities have been reported to Ebay; who did nothing.
>>>

>>> Tim
>>>

>>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>>>

>> Contact the local Microsoft:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/spain/
>
> And what, pray tell, do you think Microsoft would do?
> --
> Alias

They can't do anything if they are not told. They have the opportunity to do
something if they are told.

Alias

OK, I'll bite. What will they do if informed?
--
Alias

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote

> Absolutely nothing if Microsoft is not informed.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>> And what, pray tell, do you think Microsoft would do?
>> --
>> Alias
>>
>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

I don't know what they would do any more than you do.
But if Microsoft is not informed, it is a guarantee of nothing.
It is difficult to get less action than nothing so there is nothing to lose.

--

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> I don't know what they would do any more than you do.
> But if Microsoft is not informed, it is a guarantee of nothing.
> It is difficult to get less action than nothing so there is nothing
> to lose.

LOL! So you are saying that MS has no proactive way of combating this
type of piracy? MS relies on nothing but informants?

You are a silly boy, if you think it is "a guarantee of nothing" MS can
do if not informed.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

I never said "MS has no proactive way of combating this type of piracy",
those are your words, not mine, perhaps you should read before commenting.
Microsoft has to be informed.
If not by others, they need to inform themselves.
They can not act on what they are unaware.

--

Kelly wrote:
> Let it go, Matt. If his posts bother you either ignore it or just
> correct what you think is wrong via your own opinion without the
> flaming. And that goes for the both of yall.

LOL! If I was bothered by his posts, I'd agree with you, but that is
far from the case. But Juppy's irrational reactions to my posts just
amuses me too much to ignore him.

--

Alan Smith wrote:
> Don't be stupid. He didn't say that and you trying to twist his words
> won't change it into what you try to claim.
> You're doing what you attempt to claim others do to you. But it isn't
> working.

So you are buying his Bullsh*t that he meant that along with having
people inform MS, that "they [MS] need to inform themselves," when he
replied to Alias, "I don't know what they would do any more than you do.
But if Microsoft is not informed, it is a guarantee of nothing. It is
difficult to get less action than nothing so there is nothing to lose"?

It is your choice to believe it, but I would suggest that it stretches
credulity to the breaking point.

So, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, what do you think Juppy meant when he replied to
Alias's question, "What will they [MS] do if informed?"

And remember the context of that question in this thread!