WinXP asks "run?" when users want to open an application o..

Hi,
my application is on a share, and users in the domain can run it from there.
But now, when they want to open my application, everytime a window pops up
asking the user whether they want to 'run' the application or not.
How can I get rid of this message?

This happens since last week, when some server stuff was changed. Before
that the message never popped up. So it must be possible to get rid of it,
but how?

Hope someone can help,
Tim

>>when some server stuff was changed

What server OS are you running ? Windows Server 2003 ? Please post your question in the Windows
server 2003 groups.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

tim_VV wrote:

> Hi,
> my application is on a share, and users in the domain can run
> it from there. But now, when they want to open my application,
> everytime a window pops up asking the user whether they want
> to 'run' the application or not.
> How can I get rid of this message?
>
> This happens since last week, when some server stuff was
> changed. Before that the message never popped up. So it must
> be possible to get rid of it, but how?
Hi,

You need to have the server that the drive points to, or, preferably,
the domain the server is in) defined as "Local intranet zone"

To see what zone you now have have for the path, in Explorer, select
"Status Bar" under the View menu. If it says "Internet", you will need
to add your server (or the domain) to the "Local intranet zone" in
Internet Explorer.

My suggestion (if this is an Active Directory domain):

Put in the DNS name for the domain (that you use in the FQDN mapping
string) in the Local Intranet zone, with a wildcard in front of it.
This solves the problem mentioned for us at least.

An example for the domain ad.fabrikam.com:

*.ad.fabrikam.com

Here is a VBScript that does the job for current user (that you can
e.g. put in a logon script):

'--------------------8<----------------------

SetCurrentAD2LocalIntranetZone

Sub SetCurrentAD2LocalIntranetZone()

' Set security zone to Local Intranet in Current user settings
' for AD Domain to avoid Internet zone for FQDN mappings.

Dim oShell, oADsSysInfo, aDomainDNSName, DomainNameSection
Dim sZoneDomainName, sZoneHostName

Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set oADsSysInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo")

aDomainDNSName = Split(oADsSysInfo.DomainDNSName,".")
sZoneDomainName = ""
sZoneHostName = ""

For DomainNameSection = 0 To UBound(aDomainDNSName)

If DomainNameSection => (UBound(aDomainDNSName) - 1) Then

sZoneDomainName = sZoneDomainName _
& aDomainDNSName(DomainNameSection) & "."

Else
sZoneHostName = sZoneHostName _
& aDomainDNSName(DomainNameSection) & "."
End If
Next

sZoneDomainName = LCase(Left(sZoneDomainName, Len(sZoneDomainName) - 1))

If Right(sZoneHostName, 1) = "." Then
sZoneHostName = LCase("*." _
& Left(sZoneHostName, Len(sZoneHostName) - 1)) & "\*"
Else
sZoneHostName = "*"
End If

oShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" _
& "\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\" & sZoneDomainName & "\" _
& sZoneHostName, 1, "REG_DWORD"

End Sub

'--------------------8<----------------------

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Torgeir

I have this problem too. Recently, we've implemented DFS and I need to
disable the file open warnings. An even worse problem is that Access XP
refuses to open databases on a dfs network drive. The following message is
displayed:

"Microsoft Access cannot open this file.
This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site.
Microsoft Access will not open the file due to potential security problems.
To open the file, copy it to your computer or an accessible network
location. "

I've tried to add our ad domain to the local intranet zone in Internet
Explorer, but to no avail. I've tried *.domain.net, \\domain.net\dfsroot,
\\Servername, but nothing helps.

IE is acting a bit unpredictably. When I add something to the intranet zone
and apply the change, that entry is not visibe the next time I visit that
dialogue.
Sometimes it says that that site has already been added, though the list is
empty.
The records are visible in the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains registry key though.

Morgan