WinXP asks "run?" when users want to open an application o..

Hi,
my application is on a share, and users in the domain can run it from there.
But now, when they want to open my application, everytime a window pops up
asking the user whether they want to 'run' the application or not.
How can I get rid of this message?

This happens since last week, when some server stuff was changed. Before
that the message never popped up. So it must be possible to get rid of it,
but how?

Hope someone can help,
Tim
3 answers Last reply
More about winxp asks users open application

    >>when some server stuff was changed

    What server OS are you running ? Windows Server 2003 ? Please post your question in the Windows
    server 2003 groups.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    tim_VV wrote:

    > Hi,
    > my application is on a share, and users in the domain can run
    > it from there. But now, when they want to open my application,
    > everytime a window pops up asking the user whether they want
    > to 'run' the application or not.
    > How can I get rid of this message?
    >
    > This happens since last week, when some server stuff was
    > changed. Before that the message never popped up. So it must
    > be possible to get rid of it, but how?
    Hi,

    You need to have the server that the drive points to, or, preferably,
    the domain the server is in) defined as "Local intranet zone"

    To see what zone you now have have for the path, in Explorer, select
    "Status Bar" under the View menu. If it says "Internet", you will need
    to add your server (or the domain) to the "Local intranet zone" in
    Internet Explorer.

    My suggestion (if this is an Active Directory domain):

    Put in the DNS name for the domain (that you use in the FQDN mapping
    string) in the Local Intranet zone, with a wildcard in front of it.
    This solves the problem mentioned for us at least.

    An example for the domain ad.fabrikam.com:

    *.ad.fabrikam.com

    Here is a VBScript that does the job for current user (that you can
    e.g. put in a logon script):

    '--------------------8<----------------------

    SetCurrentAD2LocalIntranetZone

    Sub SetCurrentAD2LocalIntranetZone()

    ' Set security zone to Local Intranet in Current user settings
    ' for AD Domain to avoid Internet zone for FQDN mappings.

    Dim oShell, oADsSysInfo, aDomainDNSName, DomainNameSection
    Dim sZoneDomainName, sZoneHostName

    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set oADsSysInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo")

    aDomainDNSName = Split(oADsSysInfo.DomainDNSName,".")
    sZoneDomainName = ""
    sZoneHostName = ""

    For DomainNameSection = 0 To UBound(aDomainDNSName)

    If DomainNameSection => (UBound(aDomainDNSName) - 1) Then

    sZoneDomainName = sZoneDomainName _
    & aDomainDNSName(DomainNameSection) & "."

    Else
    sZoneHostName = sZoneHostName _
    & aDomainDNSName(DomainNameSection) & "."
    End If
    Next

    sZoneDomainName = LCase(Left(sZoneDomainName, Len(sZoneDomainName) - 1))

    If Right(sZoneHostName, 1) = "." Then
    sZoneHostName = LCase("*." _
    & Left(sZoneHostName, Len(sZoneHostName) - 1)) & "\*"
    Else
    sZoneHostName = "*"
    End If

    oShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" _
    & "\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\" & sZoneDomainName & "\" _
    & sZoneHostName, 1, "REG_DWORD"

    End Sub

    '--------------------8<----------------------

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir

    I have this problem too. Recently, we've implemented DFS and I need to
    disable the file open warnings. An even worse problem is that Access XP
    refuses to open databases on a dfs network drive. The following message is
    displayed:

    "Microsoft Access cannot open this file.
    This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site.
    Microsoft Access will not open the file due to potential security problems.
    To open the file, copy it to your computer or an accessible network
    location. "

    I've tried to add our ad domain to the local intranet zone in Internet
    Explorer, but to no avail. I've tried *.domain.net, \\domain.net\dfsroot,
    \\Servername, but nothing helps.

    IE is acting a bit unpredictably. When I add something to the intranet zone
    and apply the change, that entry is not visibe the next time I visit that
    dialogue.
    Sometimes it says that that site has already been added, though the list is
    empty.
    The records are visible in the
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\ZoneMap\Domains registry key though.

    Morgan

Microsoft Windows XP