Title : "Fairlight Castle"
Author : Paul Allen Panks
Version : 1.02 (not stated in the game)
Date : June 27, 2004 (also not stated)
E-mail : dunric@gmail.com
Homepage : http://panks.freeshell.org/flcas.html

Synopsis:

Fairlight Castle is a fairly original adventure
game. The game was written using a special technique
which encapsulates the room descriptions into a
core group of 120 total words (stored as numbers
1 through 120).

Each number corresponds to a word, and with a game
vocabulary of a mere 142 total words, Fairlight
Castle has remarkably robust descriptions (especially
when you consider I only used the most commonly used
phrases in a minimally sized adventure game).

It took me over 12 hours just to code the
room descriptions (looking up a word from a table
list and then typing it in for each word is very
time consuming indeed!); however, this saved a
tremendous amount of coding space (perhaps over
10-15KB of program code). So what appears as
a 26K adventure game migth actually have
ballooned to well over 50K if I had used my
traditional programming methods as before.

Some of my smaller games, such as Halite, the Dark
Forest series, and this game, use a fairly complex and
complete adventure gaming engine that has been reduced to the
most minimal components possible -- thereby ensuring a
very smoothly playing game with excellent replay
value.

Ah yes...you're probably wondering how to play
Fairlight Castle! :) Good question! Fairlight Castle
is similar to Chateu Le Mont, which I also coded last
year. But the game is much better (and has far more
puzzles than before), so it should both challenge
and delight the casual adventure gamer for hours
at a time.

Good luck! You can always e-mail me at:
dunric@gmail.com if you have any questions.

Take care. :)

Sincerely,

Paul Allen Panks
dunric@gmail.com
June 27, 2004 A.D.

--
panks@sdf.lonestar.org

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction,alt.lang.basic,comp.lang.basic.misc (More info?)

> Works under GW-BASIC, QBASIC, PowerBASIC and (with some modifications)
> Blassic and UBasic.
>
> Written in VGA SCREEN mode 8 for compatibility with older computers
> (running MS-DOS or DOS 3.3 and above; Tandy 1000/PC/PCjr/XT/AT
> compatibles).

Not meaning to sound rude as I'm not here to annoy people or start
flamewars, but why use BASIC so much? I honestly doubt anyone has any of
the machines listed above as more than an amusing antiquity (I have a 486
that I used to use as a monitor stand), and the majority of IF enthusiasts
these days prefer modern systems (Inform, TADS, etc.) which are portable
enough to run on even older systems.

It just seems a bit odd, to put so much work into coding a parser and the
like in BASIC, when we already have a number of systems that do all that
hard work automatically. But I think other people have said this already...

--
Keep on tranglin.
www.planetsomething.com