Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

windows xp 3d screensaver

Tags:
  • Screensaver
  • Windows XP
  • Microsoft
  • 3D
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:15:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

why won`t my pc automaticly standby or hibernate when i use the windows xp 3d
screensaver?
--
carmine934

More about : windows screensaver

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:25:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

carmine934 wrote:
> why won`t my pc automaticly standby or hibernate when i use the windows xp 3d
> screensaver?

Standby or hibernation is triggered when your computer
has been idle for a time. 3d screensavers use large amounts of
processor time so the computer is never idle while they are
running.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 7:25:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

hello john, thanks for the reply. but i have a 1.8 ghz amd processor and
512mb of ram surely this must be enough ?
--
carmine934


"John Coode" wrote:

> carmine934 wrote:
> > why won`t my pc automaticly standby or hibernate when i use the windows xp 3d
> > screensaver?
>
> Standby or hibernation is triggered when your computer
> has been idle for a time. 3d screensavers use large amounts of
> processor time so the computer is never idle while they are
> running.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:02:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

carmine934 wrote:
> hello john, thanks for the reply. but i have a 1.8 ghz amd processor and
> 512mb of ram surely this must be enough ?

Having done a google search on this, it turns out to
be a known bug in XP. There is a Knowledge Base article
at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q306676

This suggests making sure you have the latest service pack and then
applying a hotfix.

Or use the workaround which is, 'Don't use 3d screensavers'.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:02:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

thank you john i appreciate your time,i`ll see about the hotfix.
--
carmine934


"John Coode" wrote:

> carmine934 wrote:
> > hello john, thanks for the reply. but i have a 1.8 ghz amd processor and
> > 512mb of ram surely this must be enough ?
>
> Having done a google search on this, it turns out to
> be a known bug in XP. There is a Knowledge Base article
> at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q306676
>
> This suggests making sure you have the latest service pack and then
> applying a hotfix.
>
> Or use the workaround which is, 'Don't use 3d screensavers'.
>
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:02:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

hello, john just to let you know, you can only install that hotfix on windows
xp with no service packs installed. but it was worth a try, i guess i`m outta
luck i have sp2.
--
carmine934


"John Coode" wrote:

> carmine934 wrote:
> > hello john, thanks for the reply. but i have a 1.8 ghz amd processor and
> > 512mb of ram surely this must be enough ?
>
> Having done a google search on this, it turns out to
> be a known bug in XP. There is a Knowledge Base article
> at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q306676
>
> This suggests making sure you have the latest service pack and then
> applying a hotfix.
>
> Or use the workaround which is, 'Don't use 3d screensavers'.
>
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:12:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

carmine934 wrote:
> hello, john just to let you know, you can only install that hotfix on windows
> xp with no service packs installed. but it was worth a try, i guess i`m outta
> luck i have sp2.

That suggests to me that the bug was fixed in SP1 or 2
and so your problem lies elsewhere. All I can suggest
is you make sure you have the latest drivers for your
video card from the manufacturer's website and go to
Windows update to get the latest version of DirectX.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:12:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

i`m going to consult compaq about it now. i`ll post what happens, thanks.
--
carmine934


"John Coode" wrote:

> carmine934 wrote:
> > hello, john just to let you know, you can only install that hotfix on windows
> > xp with no service packs installed. but it was worth a try, i guess i`m outta
> > luck i have sp2.
>
> That suggests to me that the bug was fixed in SP1 or 2
> and so your problem lies elsewhere. All I can suggest
> is you make sure you have the latest drivers for your
> video card from the manufacturer's website and go to
> Windows update to get the latest version of DirectX.
>
!