Add a partition

July 5, 2005 2:12:29 PM

When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not get
the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network same
negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
still could not create another partition.

Any suggestions ?

More about : add partition

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:12:30 PM

XP's DiskPart utility is capable of only partitioning a hard drive that is empty
or has "unallocated" free space.
For example, if you were to install a new second drive, DiskPart can be
used to partition and format it. DiskPart cannot segregate current files from
free space, therefore, only a sophisticated third-party partitioning program,
such as Partition Magic 8 , can be used with a drive that already has Windows XP
installed.

The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

The alternative is to perform a "clean install" of Windows XP:

How to Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"MedRxman" wrote:

| When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not get
| the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network same
| negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
| still could not create another partition.
|
| Any suggestions ?
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:12:30 PM

Does the drive have any available free space on it?

"MedRxman" wrote:

> When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not get
> the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network same
> negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
> still could not create another partition.
>
> Any suggestions ?

July 5, 2005 2:47:54 PM

Thank you for such a quick reply. I do have partition magic 8 that I use for
Win98SE
I am relatively new to XP and was reading the help section about creating a
partition.

Thanks again

> XP's DiskPart utility is capable of only partitioning a hard drive that is
> empty
> or has "unallocated" free space.
> For example, if you were to install a new second drive, DiskPart can be
> used to partition and format it. DiskPart cannot segregate current files
> from
> free space, therefore, only a sophisticated third-party partitioning
> program,
> such as Partition Magic 8 , can be used with a drive that already has
> Windows XP
> installed.
>
> The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
> and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
> a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
> http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
>
> The alternative is to perform a "clean install" of Windows XP:
>
> How to Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "MedRxman" wrote:
>
> | When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not
> get
> | the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network
> same
> | negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
> | still could not create another partition.
> |
> | Any suggestions ?

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:48:51 PM

No..

I will use Norton Partition Magic 8 to create the extra partition. Thanks

"uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does the drive have any available free space on it?
>
> "MedRxman" wrote:
>
>> When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not get
>> the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network
>> same
>> negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
>> still could not create another partition.
>>
>> Any suggestions ?

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:57:29 PM

Please back up all.any important files and make sure you create the
"emergency" recover floppies/disk. Whenever you change partition sizes,
there is always a "small" chance that something can go wrong.

"MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o t9nkCXgFHA.3768@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> No..
>
> I will use Norton Partition Magic 8 to create the extra partition. Thanks
>
> "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Does the drive have any available free space on it?
>>
>> "MedRxman" wrote:
>>
>>> When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not
>>> get
>>> the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network
>>> same
>>> negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
>>> still could not create another partition.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions ?

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:15:43 PM

which emergency disks are you referring to?
> Please back up all.any important files and make sure you create the
> "emergency" recover floppies/disk. Whenever you change partition sizes,
> there is always a "small" chance that something can go wrong.
>

> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o t9nkCXgFHA.3768@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> No..
>>
>> I will use Norton Partition Magic 8 to create the extra partition. Thanks
>>
>> "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Does the drive have any available free space on it?

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:29:18 PM

Partition Magic has a "emergency disk" creation section (at least the last
time I ran it @ 2002)

> which emergency disks are you referring to?
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> Please back up all.any important files and make sure you create the
>> "emergency" recover floppies/disk. Whenever you change partition sizes,
>> there is always a "small" chance that something can go wrong.
>>

>> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:o t9nkCXgFHA.3768@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> No..
>>>
>>> I will use Norton Partition Magic 8 to create the extra partition.
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:47:12 PM

Why would I need PM emergency disk, I can always boot to the PM CD?
> Partition Magic has a "emergency disk" creation section (at least the last
> time I ran it @ 2002)
>

> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> which emergency disks are you referring to?
>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>>> Please back up all.any important files and make sure you create the
>>> "emergency" recover floppies/disk. Whenever you change partition sizes,
>>> there is always a "small" chance that something can go wrong.
>>>

>>> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o t9nkCXgFHA.3768@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

July 5, 2005 5:45:55 PM

> Why would I need PM emergency disk, I can always boot to the PM CD?

MedRxman:
In your original query you stated that (in Disk Management) you were unable
to "get the option to add another partition". I assume from this that there
was *no* "unallocated space" on your HD to create an additional partition
since you later stated you planned to use PM8 to "create the extra
partition". Assuming this is so, you can use PM to reduce the size of your
present partition and then create partition(s) in the remaining disk space.
On the other hand, were you indicating that there *was* "unallocated space"
on your drive, but Disk Management did not show an option to create a
partition in that space?

Anyway, assuming you do use PM to create another partition, I believe the
thrust of Yves' suggestion was to backup any important/critical data on your
drive to an "emergency" disk. While PM is a fine program, as Yves points
out, there's always a chance things can go wrong (this is *not* a trivial
exercise you're undertaking with PM) and you're left with a non-functional
drive. So it would be wise to heed his advice here. Better still, should you
have that capability, is to use a disk imaging program to clone the contents
of your drive to either another internal or external drive *before* you
undertake the partition-creating process with PM.
Anna
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:17:07 PM

Anna,
Thank you,
I always have an image of all my PCs. I always make an additional image
prior to any major changes. In this case the image would be my emergency
disk. "YVES" was a bit unclear to me. Anyway I think we all now understand
the situation.

Thanks
"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

> >> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

> > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> >> Partition Magic has a "emergency disk" creation section (at least the
> >> last time I ran it @ 2002)
>

> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Why would I need PM emergency disk, I can always boot to the PM CD?
>

> MedRxman:
> In your original query you stated that (in Disk Management) you were
unable
> to "get the option to add another partition". I assume from this that
there
> was *no* "unallocated space" on your HD to create an additional partition
> since you later stated you planned to use PM8 to "create the extra
> partition". Assuming this is so, you can use PM to reduce the size of your
> present partition and then create partition(s) in the remaining disk
space.
> On the other hand, were you indicating that there *was* "unallocated
space"
> on your drive, but Disk Management did not show an option to create a
> partition in that space?
>
> Anyway, assuming you do use PM to create another partition, I believe the
> thrust of Yves' suggestion was to backup any important/critical data on
your
> drive to an "emergency" disk. While PM is a fine program, as Yves points
> out, there's always a chance things can go wrong (this is *not* a trivial
> exercise you're undertaking with PM) and you're left with a non-functional
> drive. So it would be wise to heed his advice here. Better still, should
you
> have that capability, is to use a disk imaging program to clone the
contents
> of your drive to either another internal or external drive *before* you
> undertake the partition-creating process with PM.
> Anna

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:18:42 PM

Anna,
Thank you,
I always have an image of all my PCs. I always make an additional image
prior to any major changes. In this case the image would be my emergency
disk. "YVES" was a bit unclear to me. Anyway I think we all now understand
the situation.

Thanks
"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

> >> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

> > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> >> Partition Magic has a "emergency disk" creation section (at least the
> >> last time I ran it @ 2002)
>

> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Why would I need PM emergency disk, I can always boot to the PM CD?
>

> MedRxman:
> In your original query you stated that (in Disk Management) you were
unable
> to "get the option to add another partition". I assume from this that
there
> was *no* "unallocated space" on your HD to create an additional partition
> since you later stated you planned to use PM8 to "create the extra
> partition". Assuming this is so, you can use PM to reduce the size of your
> present partition and then create partition(s) in the remaining disk
space.
> On the other hand, were you indicating that there *was* "unallocated
space"
> on your drive, but Disk Management did not show an option to create a
> partition in that space?
>
> Anyway, assuming you do use PM to create another partition, I believe the
> thrust of Yves' suggestion was to backup any important/critical data on
your
> drive to an "emergency" disk. While PM is a fine program, as Yves points
> out, there's always a chance things can go wrong (this is *not* a trivial
> exercise you're undertaking with PM) and you're left with a non-functional
> drive. So it would be wise to heed his advice here. Better still, should
you
> have that capability, is to use a disk imaging program to clone the
contents
> of your drive to either another internal or external drive *before* you
> undertake the partition-creating process with PM.
> Anna

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:18:50 PM

Anna,
Thank you,
I always have an image of all my PCs. I always make an additional image
prior to any major changes. In this case the image would be my emergency
disk. "YVES" was a bit unclear to me. Anyway I think we all now understand
the situation.

Thanks
"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

> >> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

> > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> >> Partition Magic has a "emergency disk" creation section (at least the
> >> last time I ran it @ 2002)
>

> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Why would I need PM emergency disk, I can always boot to the PM CD?
>

> MedRxman:
> In your original query you stated that (in Disk Management) you were
unable
> to "get the option to add another partition". I assume from this that
there
> was *no* "unallocated space" on your HD to create an additional partition
> since you later stated you planned to use PM8 to "create the extra
> partition". Assuming this is so, you can use PM to reduce the size of your
> present partition and then create partition(s) in the remaining disk
space.
> On the other hand, were you indicating that there *was* "unallocated
space"
> on your drive, but Disk Management did not show an option to create a
> partition in that space?
>
> Anyway, assuming you do use PM to create another partition, I believe the
> thrust of Yves' suggestion was to backup any important/critical data on
your
> drive to an "emergency" disk. While PM is a fine program, as Yves points
> out, there's always a chance things can go wrong (this is *not* a trivial
> exercise you're undertaking with PM) and you're left with a non-functional
> drive. So it would be wise to heed his advice here. Better still, should
you
> have that capability, is to use a disk imaging program to clone the
contents
> of your drive to either another internal or external drive *before* you
> undertake the partition-creating process with PM.
> Anna

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:24:51 PM

Anna,
Thank you,
I always have an image of all my PCs. I always make an additional image
prior to any major changes. In this case the image would be my emergency
disk. "YVES" was a bit unclear to me. Anyway I think we all now understand
the situation.

"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

> >> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

> > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> >> Partition Magic has a "emergency disk" creation section (at least the
> >> last time I ran it @ 2002)
>

> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Why would I need PM emergency disk, I can always boot to the PM CD?
>

> MedRxman:
> In your original query you stated that (in Disk Management) you were
unable
> to "get the option to add another partition". I assume from this that
there
> was *no* "unallocated space" on your HD to create an additional partition
> since you later stated you planned to use PM8 to "create the extra
> partition". Assuming this is so, you can use PM to reduce the size of your
> present partition and then create partition(s) in the remaining disk
space.
> On the other hand, were you indicating that there *was* "unallocated
space"
> on your drive, but Disk Management did not show an option to create a
> partition in that space?
>
> Anyway, assuming you do use PM to create another partition, I believe the
> thrust of Yves' suggestion was to backup any important/critical data on
your
> drive to an "emergency" disk. While PM is a fine program, as Yves points
> out, there's always a chance things can go wrong (this is *not* a trivial
> exercise you're undertaking with PM) and you're left with a non-functional
> drive. So it would be wise to heed his advice here. Better still, should
you
> have that capability, is to use a disk imaging program to clone the
contents
> of your drive to either another internal or external drive *before* you
> undertake the partition-creating process with PM.
> Anna

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:25:51 PM

!