Add a partition

When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not get
the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network same
negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
still could not create another partition.

Any suggestions ?
14 answers Last reply
More about partition

    XP's DiskPart utility is capable of only partitioning a hard drive that is empty
    or has "unallocated" free space.
    For example, if you were to install a new second drive, DiskPart can be
    used to partition and format it. DiskPart cannot segregate current files from
    free space, therefore, only a sophisticated third-party partitioning program,
    such as Partition Magic 8 , can be used with a drive that already has Windows XP
    installed.

    The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
    and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
    a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
    http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

    The alternative is to perform a "clean install" of Windows XP:

    How to Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "MedRxman" wrote:

    | When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not get
    | the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network same
    | negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
    | still could not create another partition.
    |
    | Any suggestions ?

    Does the drive have any available free space on it?

    "MedRxman" wrote:

    > When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not get
    > the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network same
    > negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
    > still could not create another partition.
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    Thank you for such a quick reply. I do have partition magic 8 that I use for
    Win98SE
    I am relatively new to XP and was reading the help section about creating a
    partition.

    Thanks again

    > XP's DiskPart utility is capable of only partitioning a hard drive that is
    > empty
    > or has "unallocated" free space.
    > For example, if you were to install a new second drive, DiskPart can be
    > used to partition and format it. DiskPart cannot segregate current files
    > from
    > free space, therefore, only a sophisticated third-party partitioning
    > program,
    > such as Partition Magic 8 , can be used with a drive that already has
    > Windows XP
    > installed.
    >
    > The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
    > and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
    > a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
    > http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
    >
    > The alternative is to perform a "clean install" of Windows XP:
    >
    > How to Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348&Product=winxp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "MedRxman" wrote:
    >
    > | When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not
    > get
    > | the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network
    > same
    > | negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
    > | still could not create another partition.
    > |
    > | Any suggestions ?

    No..

    I will use Norton Partition Magic 8 to create the extra partition. Thanks

    "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does the drive have any available free space on it?
    >
    > "MedRxman" wrote:
    >
    >> When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not get
    >> the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network
    >> same
    >> negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
    >> still could not create another partition.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions ?

    Please back up all.any important files and make sure you create the
    "emergency" recover floppies/disk. Whenever you change partition sizes,
    there is always a "small" chance that something can go wrong.

    "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > No..
    >
    > I will use Norton Partition Magic 8 to create the extra partition. Thanks
    >
    > "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Does the drive have any available free space on it?
    >>
    >> "MedRxman" wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I go to disk management and right click on the c drive, I do not
    >>> get
    >>> the option to add a partition. I disconnected from the wireless network
    >>> same
    >>> negative result. Started in safe mode and signed on as administrator and
    >>> still could not create another partition.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions ?

    which emergency disks are you referring to?
    > Please back up all.any important files and make sure you create the
    > "emergency" recover floppies/disk. Whenever you change partition sizes,
    > there is always a "small" chance that something can go wrong.
    >

    > "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> No..
    >>
    >> I will use Norton Partition Magic 8 to create the extra partition. Thanks
    >>
    >> "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Does the drive have any available free space on it?

    Partition Magic has a "emergency disk" creation section (at least the last
    time I ran it @ 2002)

    > which emergency disks are you referring to?
    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    >> Please back up all.any important files and make sure you create the
    >> "emergency" recover floppies/disk. Whenever you change partition sizes,
    >> there is always a "small" chance that something can go wrong.
    >>

    >> "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> No..
    >>>
    >>> I will use Norton Partition Magic 8 to create the extra partition.
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Why would I need PM emergency disk, I can always boot to the PM CD?

    > Why would I need PM emergency disk, I can always boot to the PM CD?

    MedRxman:
    In your original query you stated that (in Disk Management) you were unable
    to "get the option to add another partition". I assume from this that there
    was *no* "unallocated space" on your HD to create an additional partition
    since you later stated you planned to use PM8 to "create the extra
    partition". Assuming this is so, you can use PM to reduce the size of your
    present partition and then create partition(s) in the remaining disk space.
    On the other hand, were you indicating that there *was* "unallocated space"
    on your drive, but Disk Management did not show an option to create a
    partition in that space?

    Anyway, assuming you do use PM to create another partition, I believe the
    thrust of Yves' suggestion was to backup any important/critical data on your
    drive to an "emergency" disk. While PM is a fine program, as Yves points
    out, there's always a chance things can go wrong (this is *not* a trivial
    exercise you're undertaking with PM) and you're left with a non-functional
    drive. So it would be wise to heed his advice here. Better still, should you
    have that capability, is to use a disk imaging program to clone the contents
    of your drive to either another internal or external drive *before* you
    undertake the partition-creating process with PM.
    Anna

    Anna,
    Thank you,
    I always have an image of all my PCs. I always make an additional image
    prior to any major changes. In this case the image would be my emergency
    disk. "YVES" was a bit unclear to me. Anyway I think we all now understand
    the situation.

    Thanks
    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message

> [...]

    > on your drive, but Disk Management did not show an option to create a
    > partition in that space?
    >
    > Anyway, assuming you do use PM to create another partition, I believe the
    > thrust of Yves' suggestion was to backup any important/critical data on
    your
    > drive to an "emergency" disk. While PM is a fine program, as Yves points
    > out, there's always a chance things can go wrong (this is *not* a trivial
    > exercise you're undertaking with PM) and you're left with a non-functional
    > drive. So it would be wise to heed his advice here. Better still, should
    you
    > have that capability, is to use a disk imaging program to clone the
    contents
    > of your drive to either another internal or external drive *before* you
    > undertake the partition-creating process with PM.

Wireless Network Disk Management Partition Windows XP