Orange light on Dell GX270 power button

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox

Can anyone tell me what the orange light on the power button means? I
am using a Dell GX270 and the PC will not start. You can power it on
but nothing happens. Thanks in advance.

The power light illuminates and blinks or remains solid to indicate
different states:
No light — The computer is turned off (S4, S5, or mechanical OFF)
Steady green — The computer is in a normal operating state
Blinking green — The computer is in a power-saving state (S1 or S3)
Blinking or solid amber — See "Power Problems"
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx270/en/ug/solve.htm#1177038
If the power light is steady amber — The computer is receiving
electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.
Ensure that the microprocessor power cable is securely connected to the
system board.
If the problem persists, contact Dell.

"Fox" <maoy9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me what the orange light on the power button means? I
> am using a Dell GX270 and the PC will not start. You can power it on
> but nothing happens. Thanks in advance.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

It could also be the Motherboard but usually a steady amber light means it
needs a new PSU
"Pen" <pen34us_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The power light illuminates and blinks or remains solid to indicate
> different states:
> No light — The computer is turned off (S4, S5, or mechanical OFF)
> Steady green — The computer is in a normal operating state
> Blinking green — The computer is in a power-saving state (S1 or S3)
> Blinking or solid amber — See "Power Problems"
> http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/opgx270/en/ug/solve.htm#1177038
> If the power light is steady amber — The computer is receiving
> electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.
> Ensure that the microprocessor power cable is securely connected to the
> system board.
> If the problem persists, contact Dell.
>
> "Fox" <maoy9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me what the orange light on the power button means? I
> > am using a Dell GX270 and the PC will not start. You can power it on
> > but nothing happens. Thanks in advance.

crabbybill

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Three possible work arounds/fixes:
1. Plug the computer into a power strip that has an on/off switch. Turn the power strip on. Press the computer power on button to start as normal, but after after one second turn off the power strip switch just long enough for the fans on the computer to slow down, but the amber computer led doesn't turn off and then turn the power strip switch back on. Computer should start and run fine. Computer typically can be shut down for up to 5 minutes and restarted normally--any longer and you have to sue the power strip power switch routine again.

2. Remove the cmos battery for about one minute and then replace. This fix may last for months but problem will return.

3. If either of the above fixes work and computer starts, press the F2 key (usually, could be F12 on some models) when computer screen first comes on and before Windows starts to load. Select the BIOS setup option and reload the default settings --you will have to change any of the settings that chanhged due to upgrades and changes that you have made to the base computer. Note that the a common default BIOS setting includes a floppy drive check even when the computer doesn't have a floppy drive and this setting has to be changed to 'none' typically. This one is not for the faint of heart!

Good luck

adeelajaib

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Thanks a lot crabbybill. Your first solution worked for me.

Cara de Papa

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

crabbybill,

Numero uno did the trick for me. You have saved my day !

Many, many thanks.

BTW The problem appeared during install of "intel active monitor" program. I had chosen the wrong version for my chipset.

cheers,
rob
the netherlands