win xp home password problem - safe mode won't start

All of a sudden, my computer running win xp home edition is asking me for a
password to log on to windows. I haven't ever used a windows log on password
before on this system. Nevertheless, I've tried several of my passwords and
couldn't get windows to start up.

Then, I tried to start up in safe mode to log on as the Administrator and
then change the windows log on password for my user account to something that
I could use to then log on to windows.

I am able to load the safe mode of windows by tapping the F8 key, and I do
see the safe mode drivers scroll on my screen as they load. But, then the
windows log on screen appears that then requires a password to be entered for
the Administrator account, as well as my normal User account. The logon
screen seems to be the same logon screen as used for a normal start up?

I've tried to leave the password blank and just hit enter, which doesn't
work. I also have selected the green arrow to the right of the password
field, but I get a message "the local policy of this system does not permit
you to log on interactively".

Need some Help!!!!
4 answers Last reply
More about home password problem safe mode start

    In news:9EE57181-0704-41D8-B87D-7DE5CDB38B07@microsoft.com,
    bill <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > All of a sudden, my computer running win xp home edition is asking me
    > for a password to log on to windows. I haven't ever used a windows
    > log on password before on this system. Nevertheless, I've tried
    > several of my passwords and couldn't get windows to start up.
    >
    > Then, I tried to start up in safe mode to log on as the Administrator
    > and then change the windows log on password for my user account to
    > something that I could use to then log on to windows.
    >
    > I am able to load the safe mode of windows by tapping the F8 key, and
    > I do see the safe mode drivers scroll on my screen as they load.
    > But, then the windows log on screen appears that then requires a
    > password to be entered for the Administrator account, as well as my
    > normal User account. The logon screen seems to be the same logon
    > screen as used for a normal start up?
    >
    > I've tried to leave the password blank and just hit enter, which
    > doesn't work. I also have selected the green arrow to the right of
    > the password field, but I get a message "the local policy of this
    > system does not permit you to log on interactively".
    >
    > Need some Help!!!!

    Here's a tool to fix your password issues.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    your web site is for windows NT... I'm having a problem with Windows XP Home
    Edition, not NT.

    In news:F32AC6A3-F388-4B89-B69C-FA6C709EBC9A@microsoft.com,
    bill <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > your web site is for windows NT... I'm having a problem with Windows
    > XP Home Edition, not NT.

    Yes, yes it is. If you read the page however you will see that the
    application is tested on NT, 2k, XP, and server 2k3. I wouldn't send you to
    a program that wouldn't work for you. It's not in my nature.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    XP (the marketing name) is NT ver 5.1

    "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F32AC6A3-F388-4B89-B69C-FA6C709EBC9A@microsoft.com...
    > your web site is for windows NT... I'm having a problem with Windows XP Home
    > Edition, not NT.
    >
    > "Galen" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:9EE57181-0704-41D8-B87D-7DE5CDB38B07@microsoft.com,
    >> bill <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    >> > All of a sudden, my computer running win xp home edition is asking me
    >> > for a password to log on to windows. I haven't ever used a windows
    >> > log on password before on this system. Nevertheless, I've tried
    >> > several of my passwords and couldn't get windows to start up.
    >> >
    >> > Then, I tried to start up in safe mode to log on as the Administrator
    >> > and then change the windows log on password for my user account to
    >> > something that I could use to then log on to windows.
    >> >
    >> > I am able to load the safe mode of windows by tapping the F8 key, and
    >> > I do see the safe mode drivers scroll on my screen as they load.
    >> > But, then the windows log on screen appears that then requires a
    >> > password to be entered for the Administrator account, as well as my
    >> > normal User account. The logon screen seems to be the same logon
    >> > screen as used for a normal start up?
    >> >
    >> > I've tried to leave the password blank and just hit enter, which
    >> > doesn't work. I also have selected the green arrow to the right of
    >> > the password field, but I get a message "the local policy of this
    >> > system does not permit you to log on interactively".
    >> >
    >> > Need some Help!!!!
    >>
    >> Here's a tool to fix your password issues.
    >>
    >> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >>
    >> Galen
    >> --
    >>
    >> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
    >> without them."
    >>
    >> Sherlock Holmes

Safe Mode Windows XP