win xp home password problem - safe mode won't start

bill

All of a sudden, my computer running win xp home edition is asking me for a
password to log on to windows. I haven't ever used a windows log on password
before on this system. Nevertheless, I've tried several of my passwords and
couldn't get windows to start up.

Then, I tried to start up in safe mode to log on as the Administrator and
then change the windows log on password for my user account to something that
I could use to then log on to windows.

I am able to load the safe mode of windows by tapping the F8 key, and I do
see the safe mode drivers scroll on my screen as they load. But, then the
windows log on screen appears that then requires a password to be entered for
the Administrator account, as well as my normal User account. The logon
screen seems to be the same logon screen as used for a normal start up?

I've tried to leave the password blank and just hit enter, which doesn't
work. I also have selected the green arrow to the right of the password
field, but I get a message "the local policy of this system does not permit
you to log on interactively".

Need some Help!!!!

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:9EE57181-0704-41D8-B87D-7DE5CDB38B07@microsoft.com,
bill <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> All of a sudden, my computer running win xp home edition is asking me
> for a password to log on to windows. I haven't ever used a windows
> log on password before on this system. Nevertheless, I've tried
> several of my passwords and couldn't get windows to start up.
>
> Then, I tried to start up in safe mode to log on as the Administrator
> and then change the windows log on password for my user account to
> something that I could use to then log on to windows.
>
> I am able to load the safe mode of windows by tapping the F8 key, and
> I do see the safe mode drivers scroll on my screen as they load.
> But, then the windows log on screen appears that then requires a
> password to be entered for the Administrator account, as well as my
> normal User account. The logon screen seems to be the same logon
> screen as used for a normal start up?
>
> I've tried to leave the password blank and just hit enter, which
> doesn't work. I also have selected the green arrow to the right of
> the password field, but I get a message "the local policy of this
> system does not permit you to log on interactively".
>
> Need some Help!!!!

Here's a tool to fix your password issues.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

bill

your web site is for windows NT... I'm having a problem with Windows XP Home
Edition, not NT.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:9EE57181-0704-41D8-B87D-7DE5CDB38B07@microsoft.com,
> bill <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > All of a sudden, my computer running win xp home edition is asking me
> > for a password to log on to windows. I haven't ever used a windows
> > log on password before on this system. Nevertheless, I've tried
> > several of my passwords and couldn't get windows to start up.
> >
> > Then, I tried to start up in safe mode to log on as the Administrator
> > and then change the windows log on password for my user account to
> > something that I could use to then log on to windows.
> >
> > I am able to load the safe mode of windows by tapping the F8 key, and
> > I do see the safe mode drivers scroll on my screen as they load.
> > But, then the windows log on screen appears that then requires a
> > password to be entered for the Administrator account, as well as my
> > normal User account. The logon screen seems to be the same logon
> > screen as used for a normal start up?
> >
> > I've tried to leave the password blank and just hit enter, which
> > doesn't work. I also have selected the green arrow to the right of
> > the password field, but I get a message "the local policy of this
> > system does not permit you to log on interactively".
> >
> > Need some Help!!!!
>
> Here's a tool to fix your password issues.
>
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:F32AC6A3-F388-4B89-B69C-FA6C709EBC9A@microsoft.com,
bill <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> your web site is for windows NT... I'm having a problem with Windows
> XP Home Edition, not NT.

Yes, yes it is. If you read the page however you will see that the
application is tested on NT, 2k, XP, and server 2k3. I wouldn't send you to
a program that wouldn't work for you. It's not in my nature.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

XP (the marketing name) is NT ver 5.1