Introduction

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 9, 2004 2:51:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Hi everyone.

I've been lurking for a number of weeks now and just thought it about time to
make my presence known (well, actually I have an alterior motive. In a few days,
I'll probably be announcing a search for beta-testers, and I didn't want to
appear gauche by doing so without first introducing myself).

What else to say... Well I've been playing Interactive Fiction for a number of
years (frequently the last two) and finally decided to try my hand at designing
one. I've had a number of questions about coding (in Inform) but I've found it
so user-friendly and the newgroups so thorough that I really haven't had to.

Anyway, I hope this hasn't been too rambling and that I haven't breached any
serious standards of etiquette (and please ignore the ever so tacky email with
the birth year in it).

Hope to hear from all you soon,

Jason

More about : introduction

Anonymous
July 10, 2004 3:14:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Welcome to the community.
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 9:29:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Jason,
Here, you are guilty until proven innocent. Prove you are not Paul
Allen Panks! At once! What is your real motive here? What plot's
have unfolded?! Moderator! Moderator!

We need a forum.

You've been plonked.
July 10, 2004 12:36:47 PM

Jason wrote in news:9bd20041.0407090951.78d80597@posting.google.com:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I've been lurking for a number of weeks now and just thought it
> about time to make my presence known (well, actually I have an
> alterior motive. In a few days, I'll probably be announcing a
> search for beta-testers, and I didn't want to appear gauche by
> doing so without first introducing myself).

I'm going to have to look up "gauche", but it doesn't sound like a
good thing to appear as. Even though I have been following these
groups for a number of years rather than weeks (and made a couple of
posts - asking Google gets a list of 64 posts on rgif and 135 on raif
which is more than I thought, the first one in 2001), I don't believe
I ever posted an introduction post. Since I just posted a request for
beta testers (where samwyse thought I was someone passing through), I
guess I should fix that. Here is my introduction post.

I'm working on a graphical adventure game (my first adventure game,
and my second complete game), partly beacuse my composing and drawing
skills are better than my writing skills.

My first real encounter with text IF was the summer of 2001 when I
played The Augmented Fourth. (Checks private e-mail archive - yep, it
was 2001. My thank you mail to Brian Uri was sent in August 2001. He
pointed me here.) I had heard of this kind of games before, but this
was the first time I played one. (In other words, my interest in IF
is not grounded at all in nostalgia. While I have purchased the
Infocom Masterpieces, the only commercial game I have finished is
Eric the Unready.) I went to the archive (I don't remember how I
found my way there) and looked through the game lists. As a musician,
the file name "Aug4.z5" caught my interest, and fortunately it was
also a very good game. I was hooked.

Oh, and welcome, Jason, if it's worth anything coming from a newbie
like me.

Rikard
July 10, 2004 3:12:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Thanks for your welcomes, guys.

I guess I probably should of held out a little longer before introducing myself
into the middle of all the stuff that's currently going on. Oh well, I'll just
hold back until I have something relevant to say.

Oh yeah. Am I doomed to wait the three to nine hours that Google delays while
I post, or is there some way to get around it?

Bye for now,

Jason
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 11:36:55 PM

"Jason" <jdevlin1984@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your welcomes, guys.
>
> Oh yeah. Am I doomed to wait the three to nine hours that Google delays
while
> I post, or is there some way to get around it?

Sure. Get a (free) Usenet news account from somebody like
http://news.individual.net/ or
http://www.teranews.com/ (not tested),
and see your posts in minutes, via an NNTP newsreader.

Cheers, Roger
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
You'll find all my IF pages at http://www.firthworks.com/roger

"Roger Firth" <roger@firthworks.com> wrote in message news:<1089484609.3282.0@eunomia.uk.clara.net>...

> Sure. Get a (free) Usenet news account from somebody like
> http://news.individual.net/ or
> http://www.teranews.com/ (not tested),
> and see your posts in minutes, via an NNTP newsreader.
>
> Cheers, Roger

Thanks a bunch, Roger. I signed up and I'll see how it works soon.

Oh yeah, and thank you so much for writing the Inform Beginner's Guide. It was
so helpful and easy to use. I've now moved on to mainly using the Inform
Manual, but I still go back occasionally to get some help from Captain FATE.

Talk to you later,

Jason
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 5:20:31 AM

Roger Firth wrote:

> Sure. Get a (free) Usenet news account from somebody like
> [...]
> http://www.teranews.com/ (not tested),

This one's not free.
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 5:20:32 AM

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> Roger Firth wrote:
> >
> > Sure. Get a (free) Usenet news account from somebody like
> > [...]
> > http://www.teranews.com/ (not tested),
>
> This one's not free.

It's freeish. One-time small setup fee.

Brian Rodenborn
July 11, 2004 3:26:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On or about 7/10/2004 1:36 PM, Roger Firth did proclaim:
> "Jason" <jdevlin1984@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>Oh yeah. Am I doomed to wait the three to nine hours that Google delays
> while I post, or is there some way to get around it?
>
> Sure. Get a (free) Usenet news account from somebody like
> http://news.individual.net/ or
> http://www.teranews.com/ (not tested),
> and see your posts in minutes, via an NNTP newsreader.

Are you posting from work or a public library, where the ISP's news
feeds are commonly blocked?

If not, your ISP probably has a news feed available. It would probably
be at something like news.myisp.net. I'm not aware of any ISPs that
fail to provide news feeds, although the documentation is sometimes
lacking. Once you track it down, you can get a news-reader (Outlook
Express and Mozilla have them built-in) and use that.
July 11, 2004 4:01:03 PM

samwyse <dejanews@email.com> wrote in message news:<Ft9Ic.1316$Bl4.1144@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>...

> Are you posting from work or a public library, where the ISP's news
> feeds are commonly blocked?
>
> If not, your ISP probably has a news feed available. It would probably
> be at something like news.myisp.net. I'm not aware of any ISPs that
> fail to provide news feeds, although the documentation is sometimes
> lacking. Once you track it down, you can get a news-reader (Outlook
> Express and Mozilla have them built-in) and use that.

I using my home computer but I really don't know too much about my
connection
or ISP (someone else handles it for me). I'm going to try Roger's
advice first (I'm going back to school in September and my ISP will be
changing) so I can
access my news account from everywhere (I'm not sure if I could
otherwise).
But if that doesn't work, I'll phone my ISP.

Thanks samwyse.
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 12:49:39 AM

Jason wrote:
> samwyse <dejanews@email.com> wrote in message

>> If not, your ISP probably has a news feed available. It would
>> probably
>> be at something like news.myisp.net. I'm not aware of any ISPs that
>> fail to provide news feeds, although the documentation is sometimes
>> lacking. Once you track it down, you can get a news-reader (Outlook
>> Express and Mozilla have them built-in) and use that.
>
> I using my home computer but I really don't know too much about my
> connection
> or ISP (someone else handles it for me). I'm going to try Roger's
> advice first (I'm going back to school in September and my ISP will be
> changing) so I can
> access my news account from everywhere (I'm not sure if I could
> otherwise).

Check out http://www.newsbin.com/ISP.htm

Looks like setting your news server to shawnews.cg.shawcable.net or just
'nntp' may work when you're at home. I don't have a portable 'news
account', but if I'm elsewhere I just set up the machine to use the relevant
ISP's news server.

HTH

CK
July 12, 2004 8:17:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

> Check out http://www.newsbin.com/ISP.htm
>
> Looks like setting your news server to shawnews.cg.shawcable.net or just
> 'nntp' may work when you're at home. I don't have a portable 'news
> account', but if I'm elsewhere I just set up the machine to use the
relevant
> ISP's news server.
>
> HTH
>
> CK

Hey Cedric. I went to that link and everything seems to be working great.

Thanks alot,

Jason
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 8:16:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

jdevlin1984@hotmail.com (Jason) wrote in

> I've been lurking for a number of weeks now and just thought it about
> time to make my presence known (well, actually I have an alterior
> motive.

I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to post here unless you have written half
a dozen treasure-hunt games in BASIC and had several dead people come and
visit you. Sorry about that!

Knight37
!