What do I do to access encrypted folders when rebuilding a..

I am going to attempt to rebuild a laptop after a catastrophic failure that
occurred when applying sp2. I want to be able to read the data in encrypted
folders and assume there is something I will need to backup and restore to
do this when the OS is reinstalled.

Is there any info on which crutical OS files I need to backup/restore?
2 answers Last reply
More about what access encrypted folders rebuilding

    HOW TO: Remove File Encryption in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;3089­93

    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3084­21

    Best Practices for the Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2233­16

    EFS Files Appear Corrupted When You Open Them
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3297­41

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    billym wrote:

    > I am going to attempt to rebuild a laptop after a catastrophic failure that
    > occurred when applying sp2. I want to be able to read the data in encrypted
    > folders and assume there is something I will need to backup and restore to
    > do this when the OS is reinstalled.
    >
    > Is there any info on which crutical OS files I need to backup/restore?

    You'll need to be able to login to windows XP to the account on the
    laptop that has the encrypted files to be able to export the encryption
    certificates. If you can't login then I don't believe there are any
    files one can backup from the drive to make those encrypted files
    readable on a new install of XP.

    How To Encrypt a Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308989

    How To Remove File Encryption in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308993

    How To Encrypt a File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307877

    HOW TO: Share Access to an Encrypted File in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308991

    Best practices for the Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223316

    How to back up the recovery agent Encrypting File System (EFS) private
    key in Windows Server 2003, in Windows 2000, and in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=241201

    How to add an EFS recovery agent in Windows XP Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887414

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User