What do I do to access encrypted folders when rebuilding a..

July 5, 2005 1:37:43 PM

I am going to attempt to rebuild a laptop after a catastrophic failure that
occurred when applying sp2. I want to be able to read the data in encrypted
folders and assume there is something I will need to backup and restore to
do this when the OS is reinstalled.

Is there any info on which crutical OS files I need to backup/restore?
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:15:34 PM

HOW TO: Remove File Encryption in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;3089­93

http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3084­21

Best Practices for the Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2233­16

EFS Files Appear Corrupted When You Open Them
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3297­41

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"billym" wrote:

| I am going to attempt to rebuild a laptop after a catastrophic failure that
| occurred when applying sp2. I want to be able to read the data in encrypted
| folders and assume there is something I will need to backup and restore to
| do this when the OS is reinstalled.
|
| Is there any info on which crutical OS files I need to backup/restore?
July 6, 2005 8:11:41 PM

billym wrote:

> I am going to attempt to rebuild a laptop after a catastrophic failure that
> occurred when applying sp2. I want to be able to read the data in encrypted
> folders and assume there is something I will need to backup and restore to
> do this when the OS is reinstalled.
>
> Is there any info on which crutical OS files I need to backup/restore?

You'll need to be able to login to windows XP to the account on the
laptop that has the encrypted files to be able to export the encryption
certificates. If you can't login then I don't believe there are any
files one can backup from the drive to make those encrypted files
readable on a new install of XP.

How To Encrypt a Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308989

How To Remove File Encryption in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308993

How To Encrypt a File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307877

HOW TO: Share Access to an Encrypted File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308991

Best practices for the Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223316

How to back up the recovery agent Encrypting File System (EFS) private
key in Windows Server 2003, in Windows 2000, and in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=241201

How to add an EFS recovery agent in Windows XP Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887414

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User